Photo

June Meeting: Shhhhhhhhhhhrimp!

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#21 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

Can I bring in some chilli and lemon tiger prawns for the show table? Even if I don't win, I won't be going hungry afterwards.

#22 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

I'll bring a fisheries mate along to confiscate all shrimp except mine. I WIN.

#23 ronaldskitz

ronaldskitz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

Can I bring in some chilli and lemon tiger prawns for the show table? Even if I don't win, I won't be going hungry afterwards.

I reckon you will end up with a few more friends lol

#24 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

Best quality will win, if you bring in a cherry shrimp and it is the best cherry anyone has ever seen then you in with a shot. Obviously it will be up to the judge but I don't see why the most expensive variety would necessarily win.

Ciaran will most likely be the judge (have not actually asked him yet) pretty pretty please with cherry shrimp on top.

I suggest bring a small group not just an individual shrimp and also encourage bring your own tank

#25 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

So Androo shouting pizza again? Love your work bro!
Can I reserve a tank and say there's a ninja shrimp in the tank?
  • Fox likes this

#26 YIN93

YIN93
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

Don't think people will be bringing the prized shrimps for the show table, as it put too much stress on the shrimps. Why not just make it a cherry shrimp varieties show table. There are a few different type of cherries around (chocolates, snow ball, blue velvets, yellow, black, carbon rili, red rili, yellow rili, sunkist).

Edited by YIN93, 16 May 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#27 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

So Androo shouting pizza again? Love your work bro!

Nice winter style food this time round.
Roast roll with gravy :)

#28 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

so what happens if your all followed home and ur tanks nuked?

#29 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

I too have NUKES but i will only use them in self defence.

#30 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

I nuked the dunny at work today. Note to self, the curry wurst at the Fremantle markets has some serious power!
Fisheries have moved on. Maybe it's time that hobbyists did too

#31 Adam

Adam
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:02 AM

Jason on what basis have they moved on? For example was it because they were outside regulatory power or deferred for other ops?

Is it still a risk to the hobbyist or shop to keep/sell?

Adam

#32 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

Im of the impression that fisheries are busy pretending the Great Shrimp Cull of 2012/13 never happened and that exotic ornamental shrimp already here are not a concern to fisheries.

#33 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

Jason are shrimp 100% legal to keep in Western Australia? Are shops allowed to stock and sell them again?? And when you say fisheries have moved on, what information do you base that on??

#34 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

Well I have been told that there has been no reply what so ever from emails sent to the head of Biosecurity at Fisheries - proof that that there is no true legislation that prevents us from keeping and trading in freshwater ornamental shrimp in WA (you can still trade in salt water species of crustaceans).... If there was, they would have replied to the email by supplying the relevant legislation in order to put an end to this.

BUT they still have the one piece of legislation that gives them the power to seize any fish at any time - Act 103a of their doctrine.
This piece of legislation is being utilised as an ultimate slap in the face for the ornamental fish industry.
It is like giving the police a law that enables them to destroy your car if they deem it a risk to be used as a hoon car.... They dont need proof, just need you to look at them wrong and they will steam roll you.

Being only a WA Fisheries thing, I still strongly suggest thar the PCS become more aware of this rule and stand up to the Fisheries and request transparent dialogue with someone within the WA Fisheries (who knows the rules and does not 'bullshit' their way though) in order to clarify what our rights are and what we need to do to keep the Nazis out of our fish tanks (and provide it in writing).
If the PCS continues to sit on their hands, then the Fisheries can, and will, seize all fish in WA that are not on the Importable List or bred under an aquaculture license.... Even if the fish have been here prior to 1984.

Edited by Mr_docfish, 17 May 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#35 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

Ok guys can we please keep this on topic about the MEETING we have gone through this debate before

Being only a WA Fisheries thing, I still strongly suggest thar the PCS become more aware of this rule and stand up to the Fisheries and request transparent dialogue with someone within the WA Fisheries (who knows the rules and does not 'bullshit' their way though) in order to clarify what our rights are and what we need to do to keep the Nazis out of our fish tanks (and provide it in writing).
If the PCS continues to sit on their hands, then the Fisheries can, and will, seize all fish in WA that are not on the Importable List or bred under an aquaculture license.... Even if the fish have been here prior to 1984.

Doubt it the cost would be to high to do that, and logistics would be a nightmare

#36 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

Sorry to continue with some of the politics, but this might help.
Just to supply an update about fisheries stance. I spoke to a fisheries rep 2 weeks ago while they were in promoting the current 'don't dump that fish' promo. She had some knowledge of the shrimp activities. Her understanding is that there are currently no further 'actions' (raids etc) planned by fisheries. They are however also very unlikely to ever confirm or enter into dialogue with anyone that they are fine to keep as this would in effect prevent further actions if they choose to take some. They do not like shrimp & do not want to encourage the keeping & constant smuggling of them. They cannot prosecute for keeping them, but can seize them if considered a bio security risk.
The raids themselves were driven by DAFF using local fisheries services.
Basically we have entered into a tolerence period where they are leaving it alone, but will need to be careful not to 'shove it in their faces' too much or further actions may occur. Shops will need to still be very careful selling them still.
So clear as mud, but no clear policy statements will be forthcoming from them.
Have a great meeting & be pretty confident the fishy fuzz have no plans to run the party.

#37 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Saw these in woolies this morning, Not sure if these would be ok after a clean but I saw these perfect little boxes that would be great as display tanks if you want to enter the shrimp comp.
Attached File  image.jpg   158.1KB   4 downloads

#38 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

They would look cool as little displays boxes

#39 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

OOo I look forward to the photo of all the shrimps in their display boxes.

#40 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

Potential income from fines vs. (Budget crisis & public service redundancies/hiring freeze/pay freeze) * cost of operations.

Recon it's safe for now. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users