Which Sponsors Buy Fish?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 25GTT

25GTT
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

Hi all,

Wondering if I can get some guidance on this one.

As a regular breeder of high quality bristlenose and cobalt blues I'm lucky enough to have built some great relationships with some of my local fish stores that they frequently buy my fish.

Previously I have been in contact with some of our sponsors when these local fish stores are full only to be told "we don't buy fish anymore as we are under exclusive agreement with a breeder"

I say this as a few years ago there was a let's say "uproar" when a large chain advised that they won't be purchasing from local breeders and people's comments here were based on that chain not supporting local hobbiests breeding high quality fish and in turn selling poor quality stock. From there local sponsors were promoted to help the local entuhusiast however now from the few I've tried (not all) I've been advised that a smiliar agreeemnt exists and is in place similar to the large chain that caused the "uproar"

So, would you mind advising me which sponsors (providing stock is suitable) do still accept high quality local hobbiest stock?

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks all, keen to hear your thoughts.

#2 25GTT

25GTT
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

Ps guys, if this comes across somewhat controversial or negative or in bad gest for the forum please let me know as am happy to delete as that's not the purpose of this post, just genuinely think this could be a good resource for the hobbiest breeder moving forward as I could not see much info in the search function.

#3 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

I'm not an experienced fish keeper, and I keep fish purely for something nice to look at. So by no means take my word as gospel. Any fish breeding in any of my tanks are purely unintentional. Now that I've got that off my chest this is what I think all hobbyists should do....

Get to know the people who work at your local fish shop. I'm lucky in that I live 15 minutes from Aquotix, 5-10 minutes from Pet Magic in Bibra Lake, and work 5 minutes away from Vebas so I'm spoilt for choice.

What I do personally I grow any fish to a sellable size (e.g.: at least young adults) and PM the shop I have an arrangement with and ask if they would like my fish for store credit. That way they're not forking out any cash, and I spend the credit on other fish, plants, fertiliser. I treat it as a way to subsidise the hobby, but I actually just end up hanging around the shop and buying more stuff than I plan to (not a bad thing, keeps the hobby interesting).

Your profile says you're north of the river. If you're not too far from Robs Aquariums or Morley, I would drop them a line and see if they are interested in your fish.

I hope that is of some help to you. And remember, if you end up with a lot of fish, hang on to them. Offloading bulk amounts of the same fish floods the market.

Edited by Westie, 20 June 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#4 Johan

Johan
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:57 PM

Interesting topic. I breed Discus fish and find the exchange for store credit a bit odd for myself. I have a full breeding setup so I don't need any more equipment or food etc. Store credit is fine for occasional breeding and can work ok for such breeding. If you breed 100 or 200 Discus fish at a time I don't think that the lfs will take that quantity either unless they can get it for next to nothing and I am not willing to give my hard raised babies away. I have tried and found very little interest and very low enthusiasm as well. Pricing on these fish are a bit extream in the retail market and understandably so as they go through a few hands before reaching the public. I must also say that I do not have a great variety so can't supply an assorted mix ATM. That is unfortunately an issue on my side but I am a hobbyist and not a commercial breeder. So what to do, for the moment I just advertise and sell off gumtree and some of the local Facebook pages and here on PCS. This method works for me at the moment. Fish that don't sell now grow bigger and sell for more later. When I get over stocked I just run a special. If you produce good quality healthy fish the public will get to know you and your support will grow day by day. That's my experience to share. The fish market is a bit in slowdown mode ATM. Not that many spenders out there. Economy is agains all of us right now. If my hobby pays for itself and does not cost me anything it's happy days.

#5 Living Pictures

Living Pictures
  • Sponsor

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:42 AM

Well just for the record we are interested in buying good quality fish and plants from anyone that has them available. I believe that all good aquarium stores need your support and in turn we support you the hobbyist but thats just it a win win. There is a big difference between hobbyist,commercial breeder and retail store and where you sit along the line is up to you, but thats another story perhaps?.

#6 25GTT

25GTT
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:27 AM

Some great responses here guys, keep em coming.....
sincerely appreciate the feedback, helps me to learn a bit more about the industry and the current climate.
Living pictures, nice work mate on letting us know, sincerely appreciate the response, good to know and don't be surprised if I come for a drive out your way :)

#7 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

Hey Sue,
Whats your opening hours?

Good topic 25GTT

#8 Living Pictures

Living Pictures
  • Sponsor

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:27 PM

10am to 3pm Wednesday to Saturdays and i love to talk about fish btw

#9 Living Pictures

Living Pictures
  • Sponsor

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:58 AM

oops forgot to mention that next week we are closed until the 5th of July

#10 25GTT

25GTT
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:48 PM

So keeping this thread on track as it appears it is sparking some interest in the community. Also a special thank you to those of you who have messaged me regarding this thread and the info it and you have provided, seems like a topic of interest.

Is it worth allowing the sponsors on here to have a "WTB" section with pricing attached? I believe there could be some hobby breeders (such as I) who have managed to get their hands on good strains of fish and breeding them at a high quality which their rep on this forum would support. Both the sponsor wins and the hobbiest in the cichlid community wins.

Could certainly be a win/win for this forum, both for the community and for the admin/hosts/club in raising additional funds. If a local fish store wants access to good local stock at a competitive price, pay a small fee to Perth cichlid society to access some of WA's finest quality breeders ;-)

I believe this may have been trialled in a closed section before, however not made public which I believe would be beneficial for both parties if advertised on a grander scale.

• ice likes this

#11 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

City Barn Malaga will be more than happy too.  :)

#12 25GTT

25GTT
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

Personally, Im a big fan of City Barn Malaga, your customer service, knowledge and selection is always up there. Worth driving 30  - 40 mins for!

#13 25GTT

25GTT
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

Thought I would keep this one rolling and also Appreciate the messages I've been receiving from you all and providing info and support to this post.
Ideally would be good to keep this one alive as only 1 (well done living pictures!) of the sponsors have had time to respond and it seems there is interest in the community on the subject.

is there a support mechanism for local hobby breeders/forum users/members and sponsors to be able to help each other in this wonderful community? Or do only one/two of the sponsors now accept local breeders?
Would a sponsor WTB section be beneficial for all parties?

#14 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

A good support mechanism is the PCS auctions. If you're not in a rush to sell anything these auctions are every few months. Only problem is the auctions finish pretty late. It's a good way to meet people in the hobby, including those that work at a couple of the sponsor stores.

#15 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

For the last few auctions we have always finished by 10.30pm or close ;) don't tell me that is pretty late Jas? Or are you getting old :-) :-) :-)

#16 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

10:30pm is earlier than it used to finish. Well done to the CM. Finishes a lot later for those that stay behind to pack up etc.

And yes, that is still late for me. I'm popping in to the shop tomorrow, so I'll let you be the judge of whether I'm getting old.

My darling wife keeps reminding me of all the new grey hairs I'm getting......

#17 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

10:30pm is earlier than it used to finish. Well done to the CM. Finishes a lot later for those that stay behind to pack up etc.
And yes, that is still late for me. I'm popping in to the shop tomorrow, so I'll let you be the judge of whether I'm getting old.
My darling wife keeps reminding me of all the new grey hairs I'm getting......

not old , distinguished

Edited by Chopstick_mike, 30 June 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#18 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

No it's definitely old.

#19 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:30 PM

For my two bobs worth, I sell only to one outlet (Living Pictures) and in fairness to them I do not undercut them by selling privately or to other shops, they have to make a quid as well. So for me it is one or the other, sell privately or foster a relationship with a wholesale outlet that can take all your fish. Not both. Sure you get less for your fish, but I personally prefer to get rid of 100/200 at a time, than take 6 months to quit the same quantity. Also I do not agree with 'store credit' - the outlets that import or buy wholsale from East, pay cash and should also pay cash for local wholesale stock, as I believe that store credit is totally ripping off the breeder.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users