Delapool's 150 Gallon Tank

• Please log in to reply
457 replies to this topic

#201 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:06 PM

Not sure on this PAR meter still - with the forest gone I can put it back down a foot below surface. Will do that and re-test as I'm not sure what it is picking up floating (sits under t5ho though).

17/1 - 8mth old t5ho bulbs - PAR 83 (surface).
17/1 - new t5ho bulbs - PAR 139 (surface).
20/2 - 1mth old t5ho bulbs - PAR 69!! (surface).
16/4 - 3mth old t5ho bulbs - PAR 63!! (surface).

I've got new bulbs in garage. Think I'll swap out just to test.

#202 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:27 PM

Tested PAR meter with T5HO off and got 1.5 - makes sense as it sits almost directly under the T5HO but wanted to check.

With new bulbs I got 91 (highest at start was 112). So no idea how I got a reading of 139 with new bulbs last time (unless its something subtle in the reflectors and the meter moving slightly at surface).

But good news! If I assume (lots of assuming) it was 90 last time for new bulbs and 63 now, it's only dropped to 70%...

#203 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:01 PM

15/4-- The old nitrate test read 10ppm and new 5ppm while phosphates at 1ppm tonight. Looks like finally getting an increase in readings.--

Well, 4 days later and I've spiked nitrates again to 40ppm (maybe 80 since I can't tell the colours). Had been getting impatient but last time was the same. Nitrates wouldn't shift up, then they spiked and took ages to come down.

Tested the nitrate ferts in a test bucket made up just in case (they are just labelled EI) and definitely nitrates. So no nitrates dosing for rest of week :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#204 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

Terrible shot of the betta and Java Fern (which is not really happy but surviving).

74564-albums13177-picture71132.jpg

#205 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

Having food nicked from under you? Could be a yoyo loach problem...

Can't grow delicate grasses? That would be the catfish rhinos.

511A35C4-B6F9-47C7-BE61-B0156654B733_zps

#206 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

Shifted several crypts around that were getting pulled out by filter flow on their long leaves. Fingers crossed they cope with getting shifted a second time. The second marble sword seems to be settling ok. So pretty well planted out unless anything pops up that can go on the driftwood (assuming it all survives).

The aponogeton is happy again and sending out flower stems - managed to find a spot at back of tank but might be too close to light, will have to train it to send flower stems to front of tank again.

Bit of green spot algae but pretty much just wishing I could fast forward a month to see what happens. 

#207 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

Below is aponogeton from this morning:

7DA6EDBA-FD66-45FB-A699-0C52AE9C1605_zps

And tonight:

C5A729EB-5EE8-4895-893C-E784BAA2F25C_zps

Edited by Delapool, 26 April 2017 - 08:37 PM.

• sue likes this

#208 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:28 PM

Test results:

API nitrates 20ppm and phosphate 1ppm. Noticing more GSA so increasing phosphate to see if that helps.

Noticed a lot of muck on the edges of the PAR meter window so got some cotton buds and cleaned it several times. Seems to have helped!

Early Jan - 139 (at surface, under T5HO).

Late April - 110 (at surface, under T5HO). (which would give ~80% drop in 4 months if I believe this set of numbers).

#209 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:09 AM

Slow growth but some signs of progress.
14th May.
74564-albums13177-picture71155.jpg

4th April.
74564-albums13177-picture71097.jpg

#210 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

Finally caught the betta (in small tank) taking pellets that made it to bottom of tank. For months he has been trying to convince me he doesn't see any of these and needs more floating ones. (And that these are hard to spot as well - only betta I've had that seems to stalk food pellets as well before a final rush).

He shot up to his feeding corner but too late!! Now I know he can find them.

#211 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

So the buce that was floating around has vanished so undecided on putting something in the spot it was planted.

A day of tank readings. Nitrates from API was 5ppm and phosphates 2ppm ( both from night before). Not sure if the API one is under-reading but guess I had just done a big water change.

Today the CO2 probe had 6.7 and ph pen was 6.9 so seems ok given had CO2 running at time.

Found a good spot for the JBL PROSCAN now with no shadows so got the readings below quick as.

Did get a PAR reading but I think the meter wasn't quite under lights properly. Shame as spent ages cleaning off algae.

1D1E8287-8C68-4FA0-B17C-9E8E1599D01F_zps

#212 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

Just wanted to add that it's great having the PROSCAN figure out the colour to number conversion instead of 4 family members staring at API colours that all look the same...

#213 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:12 PM

Yeah I'm going to look at getting one of them from Aquotix. I'm colour blind, so this would probably help

#214 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

Guessing on the colours myself half the time. The family disappear in a cloud of dust when I pop around the corner with vial and colour chart.

#215 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

Some shots of the bumblebee catfish (I think this is the second set of half decent photo's I have managed to get this year). Tried to get his or her good side where not looking so fat :)

74564-albums13177-picture71199.jpg

74564-albums13177-picture71200.jpg

#216 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

I bought the micro-spoons today so that should help with dosing nitrates. Labelled as dash, smidgen, ect so hopefully a size I like in there. Some tests I get less than 5ppm nitrates, so something sucking it up in there.

#217 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:05 AM

Left the little plastic covers off around the canister filter pipes - hoping the young yoyo's haven't found the gap

#218 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

Yoyo's still there. Another 6 months and I'm hoping they will be too big (or at least settle down a bit!).

Converted to drain hose to bathtub pwc club . I know it's a waste and less exercise than buckets but it's almost finished while I'm just on a cup of coffee.

I found the hose has hardened a bit so flow better but have also found a good spot to sit it resting on an ornament - gets to that point and stops (more time on forum!). Flow rate is not as good but only getting a few leaves debris off plants (nothing like a net full before) and only really need to gravel vac a small part with plants growing out.

I use a glass magnet at the start to get a bit of flow going and lift up debris. Not sure I'm doing much but keeps me warm while the jug boils for coffee.

#219 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:36 PM

The double flower isn't working out One looks great, the other is hardly doing anything. Oh, well - another stem on the way up. They just don't like water changes unfortunately.

Nitrates - 5ppm API
Phosphate - 2ppm
Kh - 72ppm (4)
Gh - 143ppm (8)
Calcium - 72ppm API

#220 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:15 AM

In other (late) news the buce plant that vanished off the disc has reappeared and actually doing well. Only an inch still but roots are almost an inch long and leaves not too bad + floating around right way up. Then I got the net and it had vanished so hoping it shows up again!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users