Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Peacock Bass In With Mangrove Jack And Barra?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ Feb 28 2011, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
G'day knock.

This is a fish forum so people can get together and teach each other about fish keeping. The point you are trying to make is a little muddy to me. Fish asked for some advice on some fish, and a few people shared their thoughts. I stuck in my two bob worth, and it would have been the same answer from me if I was talking to a 10 year old or a 50 year old, as is irrelevant. Some young kids will pick up concepts and knowledge better than adults.

Fish keeping is all about learning curves, everyone has learned a few lessons the hard way. But do you think a good experience for a young fish keeper would be to buy a heap of large growing fish and see how they go? all that saved money and effort might leave a sour taste in the young chaps mouth. I think a far better experience for a young fish keeper would be to take some sound advice and have a largely positive experience. Rather than a tank full of dead fish. Nobody has been rude or mean, just giving a quick steer in the 'right direction'. Sitting back and just telling him to take a crack at it isn't helping anyone. Yes, everyone makes mistakes along the way but what would be the point in purposely making one?

Sorry buddy, just can't see any logic in your post.

no need to be sorry, we all have different opinions from each other thats what makes the world go round.

no one is right or wrong, let the little guy carve his path,remember mate kids today cant just go grab wildlife out of a pond,i know i would have been heart broken if i couldnt have .

he sees a fish he likes in a tank or on the net(thats sad for a start) let him play with it and learn from it. dont settle for a goldfish you only live once, do it properly

can anyone see my point?

if you want to learn guitar dont buy a banjo

Edited by knock, 28 February 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#42 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Edited by Sarah Jayne, 03 January 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#43 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

how would you feel keeping a guinee pig in an ice cream container just because you can't afford an enclosure.
if you can't afford it dont get it , if you cant afford the tank i,m guessing you cant afford the filter , pbass is verry messy fish ...

this post is getting to me just get yourself a coy and a fish bowl , at least you wont ruin a great fish .

come on mate even i want fish i cant have, do us a favour and start somewhere simple ther are plenty of large americans which might appeal to you , many of them dont need heaps of space and would be more suited to your budget .... be patient .... fish keeping is a learning curve for us all

cheers , Scott

#44 kamalau

kamalau
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (scottyhooton @ Feb 28 2011, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this post is getting to me just get yourself a coy and a fish bowl , at least you wont ruin a great fish .

i think u mean koi? or did u mean cow? haha
and for whoeva said you cant put jacks with otherfish not even pbass erm yes you can ive done it the other fish just have to be a bit bigger
and as far as i can tell me and Peckoltia have had adult monocs from the people who have replyd to this post and are actually talking from first hand exdperiance

#45 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:36 PM

Edited by Sarah Jayne, 03 January 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#46 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:37 AM

Just because you can keep them together in a small tank and they may survive, doesnt mean that you should. These fish get to very large sizes and deserve the space to grow healthy and in the best possible conditions.
Whe you buy these type of fish, you should know what you are getting into and their requirements. These fish live for many years and you should be able to look after it for its lifetime. Its only fair on the fish.

#47 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE (kamalau @ Feb 28 2011, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think u mean koi? or did u mean cow? haha
and for whoeva said you cant put jacks with pbass

Sorry if I cant spell coi , I don't care . As for keeping the fish together , no one said you can't just that the appropriate environment( tank ) should be used . This person has asked for advice and I believe he has received it , just sounds to me like some don't like it .

If you love your fish you will provide the best home possible , anything less is inexceptable IMO .

Cheers, scott

P . S. Knock...... I wouldn't try to put my guitar in a banjo case

#48 Neddy

Neddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:05 AM

Hey scotty, I know you don't care but I think you mean unacceptable? Bahaha sorry mate couldnt resist

#49 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

hi guys, thanks for all the help, all I want to know is if I can buy a few small P bass (6-8cm) and put them in the 4ft for now and when they start getting to big for the tank, get a bigger tank, by then I will have the money to get the bigger tank. I've got heaps of C.moorii fry that will be ready to go in 2-3 months, I dont think P bass grow that fast??

Edited by fish, 01 March 2011 - 08:57 AM.

#50 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (kamalau @ Feb 28 2011, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and for whoeva said you cant put jacks with otherfish not even pbass erm yes you can ive done it the other fish just have to be a bit bigger
and as far as i can tell me and Peckoltia have had adult monocs from the people who have replyd to this post and are actually talking from first hand exdperiance

Ive had and still do have a jack, and hes had "playmates' that were almost double his size. Didnt stop him from taking fairly sizeable chunks out of them and hounding them until they were either dead or until i couldnt stand to see it anymore and had to sell them. They are agressive, territorial and have big mouths full of big teeth. Putting any other normal skinned/scaled fish in with a jack unless you overstock the hell out of it to share agression I think is cruel, and overstocking isn't the best of practices. Even if they are well fed, mine is about 27cm and last night ate two full size herring fillets.. its still chasing around the scats this morning. You sure you actually had a mangrove jack?

#51 kamalau

kamalau
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

ye man ive had a mongrove jack haha ive had a few over time, they are a vary smart fish and i think the aggression varys from fish to fish sum jacks are worse than others, bass can definatly hold thier own against jack like i said bass have a pretty dominating attatude

sarah um my bass wer in mt 10x2.5x2.5 and i had a breeding pair of monos in a 5x2, im no rich man just like my fish and put the money and effort into them

scotty ''koi''

fish, if you look after pbass well enough a 6-8cm one will double its size in a month or 2 then grow pretty rapidly till they hit 25cm

#52 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (kamalau @ Mar 1 2011, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ye man ive had a mongrove jack haha ive had a few over time, they are a vary smart fish and i think the aggression varys from fish to fish sum jacks are worse than others, bass can definatly hold thier own against jack like i said bass have a pretty dominating attatude

sarah um my bass wer in mt 10x2.5x2.5 and i had a breeding pair of monos in a 5x2, im no rich man just like my fish and put the money and effort into them

scotty ''koi''

fish, if you look after pbass well enough a 6-8cm one will double its size in a month or 2 then grow pretty rapidly till they hit 25cm

ok, looks like I will be getting a bigger tank soon then. An excuse to get a bigger tank tongue.gif

#53 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hay man if your looking for peacock bass malaga aquarium have em for 45 each 5-7 cm biggrin.gif

#54 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (zach16 @ Mar 1 2011, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hay man if your looking for peacock bass malaga aquarium have em for 45 each 5-7 cm biggrin.gif

thanks, have PM'ed den for some

#55 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:31 PM

no worries biggrin.gif

#56 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

Keeping Bass and Jack together is a very bad idea, listen to Tony and Ice.

No one seems to have mentioned they have very different water preferences, bass will be fine in tap water conditions, but if you want them at their best some acidity will help, Im no expert on Jacks but I believe they would prefer water more alkaline with a bit of salt as they get older, bass would not appreciate salt. So youd really never have conditions to suit them both, then you have the agression issue.....

Young bass will be killed by the Jack. The Jack will not tolerate predators competing in its territory, there is no future in keeping them together, the bass will get along with each other, they will have some squabbles but they get over it, its not constant.

Young bass will be fine in a 4 foot tank, I have x30 7-8cm bass in a std 4 foot tank atm, you just need to make sure you have the ability to upgrade the tank size as they grow. You dont want small bass in a huge tank and you dont want huge bass in a small tank. Anyway if they start to out grow your tank and you dont or cant upgrade your tank size you can always sell them.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

Edited by Den, 01 March 2011 - 07:16 PM.

#57 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Den @ Mar 1 2011, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keeping Bass and Jack together is a very bad idea, listen to Tony and Ice.

No one seems to have mentioned they have very different water preferences, bass will be fine in tap water conditions, but if you want them at their best some acidity will help, Im no expert on Jacks but I believe they would prefer water more alkaline with a bit of salt as they get older, bass would not appreciate salt. So youd really never have conditions to suit them both, then you have the agression issue.....

Young bass will be killed by the Jack. The Jack will not tolerate predators competing in its territory, there is no future in keeping them together, the bass will get along with each other, they will have some squabbles but they get over it, its not constant.

Young bass will be fine in a 4 foot tank, I have x30 7-8cm bass in a std 4 foot tank atm, you just need to make sure you have the ability to upgrade the tank size as they grow. You dont want small bass in a huge tank and you dont want huge bass in a small tank. Anyway if they start to out grow your tank and you dont or cant upgrade your tank size you can always sell them.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

thanks, the jack can wait, am just getting some P bass for now

#58 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Den @ Mar 1 2011, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers
Den smile.gif

thanks den

this is one of the points i was attempting to make earlier

andy

#59 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

ofcoarse he will say that he wants to sell fish?

#60 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (mattt @ Mar 1 2011, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ofcoarse he will say that he wants to sell fish?

give him some credit, what he is saying is also true

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users