Photo

Where To Find Bream?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

Going out for a fish Wednesday hopefully get me breambo.
Might try some salt in the tank.

#22 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:47 PM

I seem to recall that Fremantle TAFE (Challenger Institute now I think) have had black bream before... not sure if they are still breeding them...
Check out the thread below...

http://www.backyarda...fremantle bream

Give them a call, but just remember that Tony is a lecturer... so you might need a different tack to buying fishes from the aquarium industry.

#23 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

I caught a few today under the docks...smallest @ 10cm ( wink.gif ) & a few 10-15cm ( wink.gif wink.gif ) which were all released...then 7 between 32 & 36cm...+ lost a few good ones getting cut off on the barnacles as they went under the dock...had a huge feed tonite...yum smile.gif

Edited by danotaylor, 12 June 2011 - 10:23 PM.

#24 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (danotaylor @ Jun 12 2011, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I caught a few today under the docks...smallest @ 10cm ( wink.gif ) & a few 10-15cm ( wink.gif wink.gif ) which were all released...then 7 between 32 & 36cm...+ lost a few good ones getting cut off on the barnacles as they went under the dock...had a huge feed tonite...yum smile.gif

some nice ones there... dunno if i'd be eating them though!!! some photos then back into the drink for me!!! but then again everything we eat these days carries some sort of poison/toxins in it...

#25 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Where is under the docks?
Would you mind sharing your spot via PM? I mainly catch and release.
Also a recent newspaper article has found deformities in bream with them having dual sex organs from pollution.
Don't miss the last part about the snails...

#26 Damo & Michelle

Damo & Michelle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

Geez.. Maybe that explains what happened to my younger brother !!! He must have been swimming off 1 of Perth's beaches also!!!! (with the snails)

#27 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

Sent ya a PM Monsta with the dock's location details...
Here's a few poor quality phone pics of the fish;
Attached File  32to36cm.jpg   83.53KB   50 downloads
Attached File  34cm.jpg   152.08KB   43 downloads
Attached File  Sams35cm.jpg   128.7KB   48 downloads
Caught a couple more after these photo's taken. Was a good hour & a half session.
Cheers,
Danny

#28 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

Very nice session you had there mate!
I haven't had one like that for ages.
Thanks for the pm mate hopefully I can get myself a few hook ups.
I'll let you know how I go.

#29 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

No worries mate...all the best! Danny smile.gif

#30 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

Good session on the Bream you had there Dano.

Not a fan of keeping big bream, but each to their own. Did a study at uni as well as putting a couple otoliths under the microscope for my own personal learning. Amazing how old some of these big bream are, seems a shame to kill them.

#31 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

Is the 5 or 6 dead bream? The limit is 4 in the Swan yeah?

Yeah, I'm not fan of keeping bream either, especially from the swan. A lot of reasrch has been done on bream growth rates. A fish of about 35cm could be anything from 10 to 20 years old. In Moore River they grown even slower and could be as old as 25 to 30 years with the stunting that occurs up there.

Seems like a long life to waste for a few mouthfuls of meat.

Having said that, I hear blackies kept in a heated aquarium grown much more rapidly than in the wild, reaching 20-25cm in just a couple of years.

#32 Techno Viking

Techno Viking
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

Hey all i grew up fishing the swan and canning for black bream and mulloway and still to this day the challenge of catching them in our rivers still pulls me in.
Very rarely will i keep any of the fish that i catch especially black bream. Anyway here's 1 that my m8 caught wen we were out in ma boat a cpl months ago.
Funny thing is we were out on the 4mile reef of mandurah all morning with nothing hapnin. This bream (42cm) was caught underneath the boatramp jetty
on a boat rod with half a mulie whilst i was whinging my boat back on the trailer, haha neway it fed all 3 of us for lunch smile.gif

Also here's a pic i found of the mulloway i caught and a neighbour with his bream, 10 yrs ago now........... wow time flys

Black Bream 1.6kg + Mulloway 4.2kg both caught at canning bridge smile.gif

Cheers Gareth

Edited by Techno Viking, 24 June 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#33 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

Went out in the swan a couple of days ago and saw loads of fish, Samson fish, mullet, schools of bream, herring and a couple of mulloway swim by and you know what I caught?

ZERO

What a disapointing day I went out with prawn for bait and a tackle box full of lures and threw the whole lot at these fish. sad.gif

#34 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (MONSTAF1SH @ Jun 24 2011, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Went out in the swan a couple of days ago and saw loads of fish, Samson fish, mullet, schools of bream, herring and a couple of mulloway swim by and you know what I caught?

ZERO

What a disapointing day I went out with prawn for bait and a tackle box full of lures and threw the whole lot at these fish. sad.gif

are you a smoker???? fish can smell the bait has been touched by a smokers hand... lol....

yeah rule of thumb if you can see the fish clear as day... they can see you too.... lol... smile.gif

#35 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:35 PM

Water was crystal clear that day...
I dont smoke, I took precaution to keep dodgy smells off my bait and lures in fact I put scent on my lures. A lot of the fish I saw looked to me to be just passing through. I think I will have to practice sneaking up on them though.
I have an electric motor but haven't got a battery for it yet, hopefully it will help me out a bit.

#36 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (Shane_H @ Jun 24 2011, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the 5 or 6 dead bream? The limit is 4 in the Swan yeah?

Seems like a long life to waste for a few mouthfuls of meat.

4 per person...there was 3 adults & my son fishing...we did release a few...and gave a couple away as well...

Mouthfuls of meat is far from wasted...that's what they are there for!

I agree with bag limits & conservation for sure...was the first feed outta the swan I've had in about 3 years...not because they're not there from over fishing, but as Monsta found out they can be a bit tricky to intice...

Tight lines fellas smile.gif

#37 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

Tried out your spot Dan, but no luck for me, went just up from the bridge and tagged a couple of little ones.

#38 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (Shane_H @ Jun 24 2011, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having said that, I hear blackies kept in a heated aquarium grown much more rapidly than in the wild, reaching 20-25cm in just a couple of years.

in a mates dam his were reaching 30 cm in two years from finglings bought down south..... and now 5 years later are breeding and have developed different shaped tail also.... some of the juvies we catch have elongated tails and mouth..... evolution at work im guessing... being water bound in the dam.... dam is quarter the size of the centre square on a footy field....

taste pretty good for bream....

when i was a young tacker we caught bream of the wharf on garden island when i was working there... lunchtime breaks were for fishin not eating.... lol...
hardley ever a fish under 25cm..... occasional buff bream too round 3-4kg...... dirty stinkin fellas they are!!!!

#39 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:30 PM

HA, good luck trying that now.
I mentioned squidding off the wharf once, they told me not to think about it, the MPs will be onto me before I get the squid jig wet!

#40 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

Gotta get into fly fishing if you want to catch the real monster bream wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users