Photo

Ghost Knife...

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 posiedon

posiedon
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:08 PM

just curious on the biggest anyones seen... just visited a gf of mine and her tank had this massive ghosty, ill try get pics for yous.

#2 studzy6

studzy6
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:16 PM

Seen one about 35cm at a "store" before, they grow fairly large

#3 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:18 PM

do you mean black ghost knifefish?
They can grow to a massive 50cm ohmy.gif and even breed in an aquarium at that size biggrin.gif

#4 Deadwater

Deadwater
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:28 PM

Try 60cm. The one which use to be in vebas, in ther old display, was an impressive size.

#5 posiedon

posiedon
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

how much you reckon he will fetch say round the 35cm mark?

#6 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:28 PM

about $200 i'd say :wink:

#7 SynoAngel

SynoAngel
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:30 PM

~$50-100 IMO.

Daniel

#8 Matthew

Matthew
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:06 AM

and even breed in an aquarium at that size

Whats interesting is that not much is known about their sexing and breeding habits. The only real reports of breeding in captivity are from indonesia (EDIT: and Australia incidently enough). I'd be interested to know if anyone has had success breeding them. I imagine they would be millionares by now.

I agree with Dan, would be happy to pay $50-100 for a good healthy one at that size. Amazing creature imo.
In fact, if she decides to sell it, give me a yell.

#9 studzy6

studzy6
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:10 PM

35cm will be looking at anywhere above $50, and even thats a bargain, I would expect a price of $80, maybe even $100, hopefully not any higher, lol

#10 2FasT-2FuriouS

2FasT-2FuriouS
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:24 AM

jus in case any one is interested i got a couple at 10cm for only $13 at city farmer in morley...pretty cheap if u ask me.

#11 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:29 PM

I have two bgk biggrin.gif (black ghost knife) one about 16cm i call take two cause the first one died :roll: , the other is around 25cm easy 8O , i call him halfa cause he,s missing half its tale, i didnt notice it when i brought it, :? he would be a 30cm job if it had all its tale and included it in the lenght i never used to, but every one is doing it when they sell fish no i do now to.
Theres a place near where i live they sell bgk for $1cm (but dont have any bigger then 10cm) thats cheaper then people sell there fry for they breed for free :idea: .

#12 2FasT-2FuriouS

2FasT-2FuriouS
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

(benckie)
Theres a place near where i live they sell bgk for $1cm (but dont have any bigger then 10cm) thats cheaper then people sell there fry for they breed for free :idea: .

where is this place i dont mind checking it out

#13 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:46 PM

Picton near bunbury w.a

#14 2FasT-2FuriouS

2FasT-2FuriouS
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

i would say thats abit too far for me but if im ever down that way which is very unlikely ill be sure to visit it.....

#15 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:51 PM

next time just look at my profile so when i say near where i live you dont have to post

#16 temptazn

temptazn
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:21 PM

yay! finally a forum talking about black ghosts!

i bought 2 for $20 each each about 10 cm at Vebas. It was actually 4 for $80 but asian barter (what can i say?).

funny thing is... one (straight tail) was more aggressive and used to keep picking on the other one (crooked tail). then 2 days later the straight tailed one did not want to eat and died a coupla hours later... btw im feeding bloodworms.

doesnt make sense right??? i check nitrate levels and all are ok... and the crooked tailed one seems really happy even right now as im looking at him/her. It is eating happily and gets along with the other fish in the tank (platies, mollies, tetras, swordtails).

does any1 know y it died?? maybe stressed?? but it wasnt the day ona dn after i bougth it... sigh...

**Dramat1c requested that i mention his name here as well since it was him who showed me the place i bought my black ghost and the driftwood which i reckon looks FAB-U-LOUS...

#17 temptazn

temptazn
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

heres some pics of my black ghosts

swimming happily together... *sob*

they like the tank pump...

just chilling...

tank pics

[/img][/url]

#18 diamondgirl

diamondgirl
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:45 AM

I have 3 BGK's in my 6ft tank at the moment and they are all very active and get along well.

When I bought my first two (sadly lost one as you did temptazn), they very rarely went near each other and just hung around the filters as in your pictures. I have a feeling that one had bullied the other to death during the night because they are nocturnal and that is when they are most active. Have you ever seen them fight? They are extremely aggressive and their mouths are huge.

What size is your tank, maybe it just isn't big enough two of them. They do need to have their own distinct areas.

Enjoy your remaining BGK, they are really fascinating to watch.

Cheers - Denise

#19 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

i have breed my two bgk i was cleaning the tank today and found bgk fry under drift wood im catching them now and putting them into a fry tank i will post pic,s asap

#20 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users