Pcs Library

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

The intent of this thread is to highlight the PCS Library which is a fantastic resource available to all members. I’ll update with a selected book every so often and comments or requests are welcome.

Library Location – Atwell College.

Selection – DVD’s, Magazines and Books.

Coverage – Cichlids, Natives, Plants, Saltwater, Bottom-dwellers, Diseases and much more.

Uses – Detailed species guides through to fantastic magazine pictures (to convince your other half that tenth tank is a must have!).

Checking out – Simply catch myself (Craig) or a committee member, browse through the filing cabinet and we’ll record details in the book. You will need your PCS membership number.

Checking in – Return books at next meeting attended (within say 3 months appreciated). Please note there is no PCS Library during auctions nights, however books can be dropped back before meeting start.

The Library cabinet contains literally dozens of books, check-out takes less than a minute and honestly it would be great to see these books getting used.

Selected Book

I have been browsing a short book on Rainbows (stunning photos!) but thought to list the book below. The book seems quite well organised by different cichlid types and includes a family tree at start (which helps as my knowledge of African cichlids is very scratchy). What I liked is that actual habitat photos (above and below water) are also included and really quite interesting (along with of course, nice photos of each cichlid). Generally in these books, I do find text can get a little dry after a while, however the author’s shared experiences and additional commentary break up the “show and tell”:

p.20 “If one only intends to maintain the cichlids, without breeding them (but that would be really sad), harder water is fine….”

p139 "During the 1996 dry season, I managed to collect specimens .... living at water temperatures of only 19C. If kept at higher temperatures, say about 25C ..... they often fall ill and develop infection prone skin lesions."

p158 "During the 1960's, a remarkable red species was imported .... As time passed, this ... disappeared, eventually becoming a highly sought-after, sort of 'mythical' fish. Later, in the mid-1980's....."

#2 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

2337d04d74d94f205e7c51c8eb002f80.jpg

#3 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:13 PM

That’s my favourite book. I got mine signed by the great man himself when PCS organised for him to come to Perth

#4 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:34 AM

The library is a great source of info. I've had many books out over the years.

Nothing like reading a book and learning something new. Much better than Google imo.

#5 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:08 PM

Don't forget this great FREE resource for PCS members at each meeting. So many good reads in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users