Photo

feeding/care frys

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chr1sm

chr1sm
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:31 AM

Hi guys, bit new at this fish hobby and particularly at raising frys this so please excuse my ignorance.

Just got a few questions to ask.

My peacocks just recently had a mouthful of frys.
Just wondering how many frys should I expect from one mouthfull? - I know this is pretty hard to answer but Im just after an average

What should I feed them and how often can I change the water?
I have put them in a small tank with a sponge filter and a heater. The tank is around 1 foot.
Is a sponge filter enough to do the job or do I need another filter.

And lastly do I need some kind of light for the frys?

Any advice given is much appreciated.

#2 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:10 AM

I raise my fry in pretty much the same tank as you have described.

The sponge filter is enough and the bonus is that the fry can feed off the stuff that grows on it (infusoria I think its called). I change a third of the water twice a week and feed twice a day with crushed flake or crushed pellet. Baby brine shrimp is also good to feed. Just feed enough to be gone in 5 minutes, otherwise the food will sit at the bottom and rot.

I don't know how many fry you should expect with peacocks but it will depend on how practised they are at breeding, whether you stripped early or let them release naturally from the mother and probably a few other things. They don't need a light on the tank.

What type of peacock is it?

#3 ChRiS_06

ChRiS_06
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:29 AM

out of most of the peacocks i have bred, my females at 10-15cm would give about 30-40 fry. The tank you have for the fry is fine, no special light needed.

cheers chris

#4 chr1sm

chr1sm
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for the tips guys.

In re to water changing, wouldn't changing the water twice a week be stressful for the frys. I have read that you should only change the water maybe once a fortnight, if that. Kinda confusing really, as everyone has different opinions.

Also what is the best way to water change. I have been told to leave a bucket of tap water sit for 3 days to get rid of the chlorine then use it to change the water. Is this worth doing or should I just add dechlorinator chemicals like prime? what is best for the frys?

I got around 30 frys so I guess Im doing something right.

#5 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:34 AM

Changing a third of the water twice a week might be overkill but I am feeding a lot more regularly than i do for the adults. I'd rather be sure that the water quality is perfect than have the fry suffer during a critical time in their development. With such a small volume of water there isn't much room to dilute any waste products that will harm your fish. Haven't noticed any stress by doing it either but that is only what I have experienced.

I don't know what is better in regards to treating the water but I also age it for about three to four days but with an airstone constantly bubbling away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users