Photo

Why haven't you joined the PCS ?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:19 AM

This doesn't apply to myself as I'm already a club member, but I was talking to a few people and for most the main reason why they haven't joined is that they can get the discount or better than 10% regardless.

So I feel the PCS needs to offer some other incentives, especially online. Something like member status, custom avatars in your profile. I know it's a small thing but maybe for some people it could be another reason to join.
Also, maybe we could introduce a tiered structure where the longer you stay a member you get better discounts? A fancier card? Maybe 3 consecutive years = silver = 15% discount and 5+ years = gold = 20%. Just throwing ideas around. It's important the KEEP members as well as getting new ones to join.

#22 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:05 AM

I didn't really mean too much by the boys club comment. You fellas are just looking into it too much.

Like I said I will become a club member within the next couple months. I may even attend a few meetings. Although I think I may run the risk of being attacked on the way back to my car laugh.gif .

We know, and we still love ya, BTW for those interested if you ever get stuck @ Den's and he asks you to stay for T, he makes a fantastic Italian meat sauce with perfect pasta al dente..

I bet it's got nothing on my BBQ TSN! :roll:

Alex

#23 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:55 AM

biggrin.gif laugh.gif

#24 morg

morg
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:08 PM

Snowy, you pretty much summed up the members section.
Nothing too special goes on in there, however, it is a place where you can discuss some topics, without all the carry on that sometimes occurrs on the public forum.

#25 Guest_Snowy_*

Guest_Snowy_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:25 PM

(morg)
Nothing too special goes on in there, however, it is a place where you can discuss some topics, without all the carry on that sometimes occurrs on the public forum.

I know morg, but I fail to see why there is a need for two sections....just kick out the dead wood if they start....Ive been a mod on several sites over the last 5 years, not just fish sites, gaming sites, where all the keyboard heros full of testosterone reside, lol tongue.gif: and believe me I have seen my fair share, Mods need to deal with them quickly and appropriately if rumbling of aggresion starts up. Ie ban the lil sods after the compulsory warnings! They either apologise and calm down or their pride gets in the way and they leave....problem solved. :wink: JMO

I have recently been asked to help moderate another fish site, which i happily agreed. Discussions were held between mods and a relaxed view of postings is being adopted....for a trial period and for 2 reasons..

Firstly, everyone has an opinion. They don't always align with each other but them's the facts.We 're all here to hopefully share and learn from our Xperiences.

secondly, if someone wants to prove to the world that they are a waste of space and fresh air, then let them....people will soon learn for them selves who to deal with and who not to whithout the need for people slandering one another....these type of people tend to alienate them selves after a very short space of time and tend to leave or apologise.

I must clarify this to all , in no way am i anti PCS or any of its members. Far from it, just sticking up for the 'battler' as it were :twisted:

#26 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:00 PM

(Snowy)
(morg)

I know morg, but I fail to see why there is a need for two sections....just kick out the dead wood if they start....Ive been a mod on several sites over the last 5 years, not just fish sites, gaming sites, where all the keyboard heros full of testosterone reside, lol tongue.gif: and believe me I have seen my fair share, Mods need to deal with them quickly and appropriately if rumbling of aggresion starts up. Ie ban the lil sods after the compulsory warnings! They either apologise and calm down or their pride gets in the way and they leave....problem solved. :wink: JMO

I have recently been asked to help moderate another fish site, which i happily agreed. Discussions were held between mods and a relaxed view of postings is being adopted....for a trial period and for 2 reasons..

Firstly, everyone has an opinion. They don't always align with each other but them's the facts.We 're all here to hopefully share and learn from our Xperiences.

secondly, if someone wants to prove to the world that they are a waste of space and fresh air, then let them....people will soon learn for them selves who to deal with and who not to whithout the need for people slandering one another....these type of people tend to alienate them selves after a very short space of time and tend to leave or apologise.

I must clarify this to all , in no way am i anti PCS or any of its members. Far from it, just sticking up for the 'battler' as it were :twisted:

Agreed. I am a moderator on Aquaticpredators a site based of predatory fish keeping. It brings out all sorts. I think the pcs mods delete more posts in a month then we have since we started (this is a site with 8k members).

#27 MickW

MickW
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:11 PM

Nothing much more than being slack. I moved down here towards the end of last year and joined the site a couple of months after, but I just haven't got around to attending a meeting as yet. Once I do I plan to join up and meet a few of you. At least a couple of days it has been a matter of educational evenings of my profession (optometrist) being on the same day. Next month, I swear.

#28 dom

dom
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

why dont people just relax just a little and every one will get on fine . i say let the generals make the rules and if you dont want to follow well bad luck .every one has got an oppinion but im afraid that not every one is listening

#29 fish200red

fish200red
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:51 PM

Why is everbody whinging ,its only $25.you have use of library
come to meetings and meet likeminded people.the $25 is for OUR club

KEEP HAPPY ROB

#30 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:05 AM

IMO - I feel many people haven't become a club member is because it's not heavily pushed, and therefore it's hard to locate where to become one to those who are not sure of how to search a site for information.
Can i make a suggestion that a button be added for members to be come financial members on the left bar? although i know this to be difficult as some of these forums can have fixed layouts.

Otherwise are we able to get a thread made sticky on every forum on how to become a financial members and the benefits it has along with the Bank details of the PCS. Also state that when making a transaction the title of the transfer of costs or reciept name be that of your forum name?

Just a thought.. Alot of non-financial members have alot of access to this forum and therefore may not feel they don't have to become a club member to locate the information their after.

Just thoughts, and idea's.

Anyone else agree with this or feel the reason why to be similar?

Cheers
Chris

#31 cichlid hunter

cichlid hunter
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:49 AM

I would join, but I work every Tuesday night.. So will never be able to come to the meetings.. If I wasn't working I would join... the best part of the club for me is the Meetings, auctions, library and the MAIN reason is the prizes on the RAFFLE TABLE!! ( Hopefully still doing that)..

#32 johniep3e

johniep3e
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

as soon as i found out about PCS i joined and became i financial menber............

PCS ROCKS
lol biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
.john

#33 Paddy

Paddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

I joined at the auction last nite, but if it wasnt for that probably wouldnt have been until I did get to an auction, Im new and new ppl dont want to come to meetings at the start, we know nothing about the jargon thats thrown around... Someone mentioned the effort involved, I think thats a big thing.. The local aquariums sponsor the site and most seem to have members on here so why couldnt they have the form and take payment there, then just pass on the forms to whoever deals with them...

Quick side note, if I paid last nite any idea when I'll get my card? laugh.gif

#34 PCS_Committee

PCS_Committee
  • Committee

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

Im new and new ppl dont want to come to meetings at the start, we know nothing about the jargon thats thrown around...

That's the whole point about coming to meetings, Paddy - you get to know the jargon pretty quickly! You also get to meet other members.

The local aquariums sponsor the site and most seem to have members on here so why couldnt they have the form and take payment there, then just pass on the forms to whoever deals with them...

Local fish shops sponsor the PCS. The PCS runs this website. It is very simple to join online these days, just a PM to the Treasurer with your details and you will then be asked for your bank details for paying online.
It is also simple to phone or email the Secretary who will take care of memberships. It would not be fair or even very efficient to ask our sponsors to act as agents for us in this matter.

You will get your card very soon. If you need your membership details to obtain a sponsors discount, ask them to phone the Secretary to confirm membership.

Welcome to the PCS !

#35 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

ok whats the easiest way to become a member... i been on these forums for 6 or 7 years and i feel it is time i support the club.

It said something about pming a mod or admin with details and then i can deposit straight from my bank... who do i pm?

Maybe put up a bigger and better HOW TO BECOME A club member section...

i actually had difficulty finding it

#36 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

Hey Blakey,

Thats great news your supporting the club, :wink: Probably best to contact Lyn " edelia ", Im sure Lyn would be more than happy to help you.
CLICK HERE

Cheers
Az

#37 =ryan=

=ryan=
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

I used to be on the commitee and was a member for a few years but i Live in Malaysia and have been browsing the forums.
I wish i could line my next visit to australia with a meeting to see how it goes these days.

If i came back to live in perth i would join for sure.... i didnt do it for the benefits, i did it for the love of it.. for 25 bucks if u have to weigh pros and cons then...wow.

Dont think your dream fish will arrive on your doorstep tomorrow if there is no growth of hobbists who potenitally start the hobby through word of PCS.
I got into cichlids after attending a meeting my first time. The more people in it means the more fish and highly likely the new species we have been waiting for when the picky big spenders are introduced.

#38 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:59 PM

Just to add my 2c. I previously did not bother with becoming a club member as like others stated previously I could get a discount anyway. And I hardly ever buy anything other than food from lfs. I didn't really look into what being a club member stood for e.g. treated it the same way as the car forums I frequent where finance isn't expounded upon or required unless a sponsor. I cannot make it to the auctions due to other commitments and time travel factor. The reason I have finally become one is the fact that I've been here more than long enough to give back to something that supports my hobby, allowed me to buy and sell. So its mainly out of appreciation and "hopefully" set an example to other users that I took the plunge, and honestly I feel kind of stupid I didn't look into it before as I'd expected it to be time consuming and laborious which it was not.

#39 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:14 PM

I'd like to add my 5c here...

Most people who keep fish often frequent their LFS (Local Fish Shops), and usually get discounts even though they're not a PCS "club member". From what I've seen so far, there are some members who join/pay the annual $25 Fee to get discounts from other LFS sponsors, while other people pay the fee to show their support of the club.

Running a club/society costs money, time and effort. The website, server space, meeting venue etc. all costs money! And where does PCS get funds to cover all that? From membership fees..
I became a club member to show my support of PCS, and not because of the 10% discount (although it's a good feeling to get discounts etc..) biggrin.gif

And apart from paying the $25 annual fee, I also support the PCS in other ways too... wink.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#40 4x4xfar

4x4xfar
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

I am not a club member because none of the benifits of being a member apply to me as I live in the Pilbara.

I will never come to a meeting or an auction.
I never buy from LFS in Perth.
I will probably never meet any of you
Borrowing from the Library might be a bit tricky!

I do support what the PCS are doing and I know it cost money to run a website, but if you wanted financial support from everyone you wouldnt offer a free membership. And there are plenty of other free sites but I liked this one.

If I lived in Perth I wouldnt hesitate in becoming a member but as I said, the benifits just dont apply when your 1800k's away!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users