Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

boops's Content

There have been 5 items by boops (Search limited from 21-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#367557 Stubborn Catfish More Likely To Die From Tapwater Changes ?

Posted by boops on 22 November 2019 - 01:11 PM in Catfish & Loaches

So i chuck the hose in the tank start filling and add the safe dechlorinater .However the stream of tap water may be hitting a cave or bit of wood with a catfish which frequently don't move prior to significant mixing  with  the safe bearing aquarium  water so ensues several minutes of a high chlorine dose .Suppose I'm advocating the use of spray fittings as preferable .Particularly with catfish that stay put when they should move .Yeh the safe works instantly when mixing allows the interaction .

#367556 Bushfire Mitagation Carbon Management What Am I Missing?

Posted by boops on 22 November 2019 - 12:29 PM in Off The Wall

Often one of the problems is emotive, ideological arguments backed by a couple of scientific points getting their way because it's a pretty answer rather than a logical , possibly confronting effective one .Yeh fire can and will jump these breaks even when done in conjunction with fuel reduction burns, it should pay significant dividends just with a greater degree of control over prescribed burns and greater available infrastructure . I watched a series  called bushfire wars on fox where they use bull dozers and water trucks to fight the out of control fires .I don't think there is a solution just  potentially better management paradigms than a 50 000 year old one that resulted in some of the most fire generating flora in the world (which didn't use to be that much of a problem ) . Even if plantation forests switched to trying to plant more in lines rather than blocks .Mitigation where you can get it .

#367551 Bushfire Mitagation Carbon Management What Am I Missing?

Posted by boops on 19 November 2019 - 06:15 PM in Off The Wall

So it's another bushfire season plenty more carnage . How don't we harvest forrestry in fire break lines in conjunction with more directed prescribed burns .Using the wood for wood chips for energy production and where logisticly and environmentaly feasable use disused mine pits to fill with the biomass which isn't fit for energy production eg leaves and root systems .One argument against this is big trees sequester more but to counter that where getting sites of deforestation due to successive bush fires . Not all carbon is equal to me a sequestration half life makes sense some forests might have a sequestration half life of  a hundred years or a tiny fraction of how long coal is sequestered for .I like the idea of a lot of towns in fire prone areas exporting energy to our bigger hubs . This also means a lot more bushfire fighting infrastructure available and more readily available bulldozers etc . Am I missing something ?

#367550 Stubborn Catfish More Likely To Die From Tapwater Changes ?

Posted by boops on 19 November 2019 - 05:44 PM in Catfish & Loaches

Hi all ,

The odd unexplained catfish death over the years . Wondering if adding tap water with dechlorinater as I do with a lot of my fish no problems . Just wondering doing that when there's catfish in  tank which are often reluctant to move they might cop the stream of water (yes I should go back to using a spray fitting ) that is poorly mixed and so high in chlorine .Just thought there could be something to watch out for a bit more with catfish .

#367546 Qingdao Algae Bloom Possible Use

Posted by boops on 18 November 2019 - 02:01 PM in Off The Wall

I've been informed ionising iron is prohibitively expensive .Wondering is hematite fines  spread over the discharge end of oceanic biodegester could get the results required at a cheap price .I know from watching documentaries that hematite precipitated out of the ocean when oxygen levels rose a lot .So basically hoping for the reverse reaction .If heightened co2 levels ( acidifying the water ) in the biodegester would then ionise the hematite rapidly enough ?