• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:19 AM

Hi all,

Went to the show on Tuesday and didn't feed fish that night as got back late. Fed Wednesday morning before rushing off to do tax. That night I noticed one angelfish with problems. I generally check fish each night so I think happened quite quick.

This angelfish looks like two small marbles have been swallowed with bulges on either side. In lower body region. Might be a female but I'm assuming compacted intestinal mass. Worse I've ever seen.

Still alive and upside down (gas?) at tank bottom. In a hospital tank at 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts per 5 gallons. Tried a dip last night of 1 to 2 tablespoons per gallon (nothing released, fish was fine otherwise with dip).

Pretty much out of ideas if anyone has any suggestions. I've read a few posts suggesting trying oils? I haven't tried a pea as don't think it would be eaten.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:21 PM

Small update. Sadly no luck. I tried a half dose of pimafix (oils idea) and the almond leaves (thinking along same lines) but pretty much mission impossible. Oh well :(

#3 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

In my experience, bloat in angels is more likely to be due to ovary problems. This naturally makes it a problem with females: if they do not spawn regularly, they seem to be prone to egg retention and subsequent breakdown. This leads to intra-ovarian gas production which results in rapid development of bloat symptoms which tend to display as bilateral swellings. I have confirmed this scenario with numerous autopsies over the years. Of course not every case of bloat is so caused, but certainly the majority of cases I have investigated have been. The bad news is that there is no effective treatment.

Syd.

Edited by sydad, 02 October 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#4 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

Hi, many thanks for the reply. Could well be possible (a friend noted this as well). Pretty sure I had seen this one laying eggs so would match.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users