Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

What Can I Put With My Pearl Cichlid+Bgk?

cichlid pearl cichlid ghost knife BGK Red Devil

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kerbey53

kerbey53
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:42 PM

Hey Guys!

I am quite new to cichlid keeping.This is my first post.

So recently I bought a tank which came with a 13cm Pearl Cichlid.  In the tank at the moment there is a 7-10cm ghost knife, a few Rasbora's, a bristlenose catfish and a couple of small shark thingys. Theres alot of tank room so I want to add more in.

The pearl cichlid is aggressive but fine with them.

I tried introducing two smaller cichlids but overnight he killed out and I got the other one out before he could kill it as well. 

Would a 10-15cm Red Devil be fine with him? and would it attack the ghost knife? 

Also someone is willing to sell me a 20cm pearl cichlid. Would that be fine with my smaller guy? and would it be fine with the ghost knife?

Could I put discus or angels in there or would the pearl be aggressive to them? I was thinking maybe he is just aggressive to other cichlids maybe.

Any help is greatly appreciated

This is the Pearl cichlid I have. Attached File  photo 2 (1).JPG   148.5KB   9 downloads

#2 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

its going to be trail and error with the red devil, he may be okay but it's a matter of testing it out and see what happens..

The discus and angels with definately cop a beating..

You could try another species of Geophagus like the 'steindachneri' (red hump earth eater) in with him, pretty tough fish and great to watch sifting through the substrate :)

#3 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

What size tank have you got?

#4 kerbey53

kerbey53
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

Its 4ft long, approximatly 280.4 litres

sometime wednesday someone is coming to sell me a 10cm female red devil and he said he will throw in 6 Kribensis Cichlids to distract my pearl cichlid from the red devil, hopefully they will all blend in nicely, and while this is happening I might throw the Green Severum back in and see if he gets left alone.

I didn't really want to put African Cichlids with Americans but the guy said they should be okay.

Im going to rearrange the tank also. I hope the red devil stays away from my ghost knife though! the pearl does so who knows. 

would the red devil eat my small Rasbora's ? the pearl doesn't, not too fussed if that happens though

#5 emmz-cichlids

emmz-cichlids
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

I would honestly stay clear from a red devil if your trying to have a community tank, I have the same pearl horseface cichlid and he's great in my tank and gets along with all my African and Americans, he's the boss of the tank as he's about 30+cm I believe the key to a happy aquarium is a nice boss, one who's firm with letting the others who in command but he's also harmless

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

A brasiliensis and a RD... thats stiff competition for food for the others even if there is only a little agro.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cichlid, pearl cichlid, ghost knife, BGK, Red Devil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users