Photo

Orange-spots, Ancistrus leucostictus and Brown peppers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FullScaleCatfish

FullScaleCatfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2004 - 01:43 PM

I discovered an interesting thing recently...Although the fish Ancistrus leucostictus was reported not to exist (as in it was probably a misidentification or something else) recently, many scientests believe it does exist somewhere in Guyana. This is apparently what it looks like:

To me it looks a lot like the "Brown peppermints" that had everyone up in arms recently.

Also has anyone had any luck finding out what our Orange-spot bristlenose are? It is very confusing trying to identify Loricariidae sp. due to their taxonomic dissarray (SIC) but there must be some way to find out what these fish are? They are not L110, L110 is a complety different fish. L110 has red spots on the body and fins, our Orange spot bristlenose have orange spots on the fins and off white spots on the body (variable according to age).

Edited by: FullScaleCatfish at: 9/13/04 5:46 am

#2 dondon

dondon
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 September 2004 - 09:28 AM

are u sure this isnt an orangespot? if u put it in darker surounds does its change the way the fish looks? my orangespots look like that sometimes but then they change the way they look based on what part of the tank they are in.

#3 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2004 - 06:00 PM

Welcome to the Ancistrus mystry!!

I, along with a few catfish nuts up this way have been pouring over books (including the latest L numbers), mags, surfing the net and talking to people and we are still not satisfied that we have a possitive ID for our common bristle nose (definately not A triradiatus, fin rays and count are all wrong), peppermint bristle nose or orange spot bristle nose.

There are Ansistrus dolichopterus (White seam Bristle Nose) L183, in Austrlia, or there were some years ago when I was hunting down "peppermints". I have seen them but declined to buy them, they are not as deep velvety black as the "peppermints" I did get and no where near the number of spots on the body and fins. Mind you the juviniles are indistinguishable.

Alan

#4 pleco silly

pleco silly
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:19 AM

from what ive seen of the so called oronge spots,the L043 is the closest i can see to describe what we have in aust. my opinion only.and if i get any thats what i'd refer to them as .

#5 Keeping_Catfish

Keeping_Catfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2004 - 07:08 PM

Ancistrus leucostictus has had a strange history...for a long while it was reported to be a junior synonym of some other Ancistrus, and now in the past six months it was reported to have been "rediscovered" in an ichthyologically unexplored (or re-explored) river system.
The ones in Australia look nothing like the real A. leucostictus.
But, there are more then 50 (or is it 60?) described species of Ancistrus, with more on the way, re. LNOs. Any of these species could be in the country, and most of their species-histories are still uncertain. Food for thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users