Photo

First Discus Pair Breeding

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

So JUST moved house, and JUST got out of hospital, and my pair decides to start breeding for the first time since I've had them smile.gif Hoping they can keep it all together since I'm hardly prepared and this was really unexpected.

Sorry about the video quality, didn't have a good camera or light...

EDIT: Urgent Question Below!

#2 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:53 AM

now the fun begins, as was once said to me...Hope they hold for you...well done...

#3 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

Question: So they've managed to do ok with a med to weak spawn without my intervention. My issue is that now they'll occasionally fan the wrigglers too hard and blow one off the log, so the little (now barely free swimming) fry swims towards the parents, who proceed to gobble it up and more often than not, spit it back on the log so that it sticks. I've never read about this in discus articles so I'm wondering what's going on? Every now and then they WILL swallow one, so I'm guessing they're stressed, but this spitting back on the log with the other wrigglers has me stumped...

#4 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Kieran @ Nov 12 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question: So they've managed to do ok with a med to weak spawn without my intervention. My issue is that now they'll occasionally fan the wrigglers too hard and blow one off the log, so the little (now barely free swimming) fry swims towards the parents, who proceed to gobble it up and more often than not, spit it back on the log so that it sticks. I've never read about this in discus articles so I'm wondering what's going on? Every now and then they WILL swallow one, so I'm guessing they're stressed, but this spitting back on the log with the other wrigglers has me stumped...

It is pretty standard for the discus to spit the fry back onto the log, glass or where ever they are gathered. In a couple of days whey they are free swimming they will feed off the parent body, this will go on as long as you let it...however you will need to get your brine shrimp skills up and running soon...after 2-3 weeks (of free swimming) take them away from the parents and start to feed brine 3-4 times a day...this will go on for another four weeks or so...from their on they should be able to take what ever you are feeding the parents...
Hope this helps you, I like you are at the stage of free swimming fry etc...best of luck
David.

#5 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

Young discus quite often take many goes at rearing fry before they start getting the hang of it, dont be disheartend if that do do well the first few times.

Cheers
Craig

#6 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

Unfortunately the fry made it to free swimming stage but no further, as per This Thread.

#7 tha_krust

tha_krust
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (polleni @ Nov 12 2009, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a beautiful pair! We need more local discus breeders, best of luck with the little ones!

i second that!!!

#8 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

Success, relative to my first try smile.gif This second batch are free swimming now, and feeding off their parents.

#9 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:51 PM

Well, the second batch disappeared. The tank contained 2 discus, 8 baby BN, and one SAE. Not sure who ate them, probably the discus :-j

I put the rest of the discus in, to give them all a better social structure, and lo and behold, the big pair just started spawning again, for the third time in 15 days. I guess these two are ready to be parents again smile.gif Is spawning this frequently a good thing? It must be very tiring.

#10 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

I have a pair that did exactly the same thing time and time again, I think all up 11 times....over a period of 3mths...
I have another pair that went 4 times and on the 4th are now proud parents, so hang in there....patience...

#11 Juls

Juls
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

My pair have just eaten there 3rd batch, I'm not trying to breed or intervine at the moment,
just letting them do there thing in the community.

like you the first batch didn't make it to swimming stage, the second lot made it 2 days swimming before disappearing overnight,
the last lot disappeared overnight once free swimming.

they seem to only wait 24-48hrs before trying again, not sure how long this will go on for.

Juls

#12 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

Actually, mine have spawned twice since my last post, and still have about 10 fry and are right now spawning again!

#13 sls1199

sls1199
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:43 PM

are u selling any of the discus fry ??

#14 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:26 PM

This pair has had an interesting change with the introduction of a new alpha discus who is now doing the exact same thing as this pair was, with the female from this pair. Due to recent sickness and car problems, I haven't been able to commit to raising any more discus, but I hope that when the new tank I've got coming I'll be able to get more serious about raising more fry smile.gif

#15 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:46 AM

Hope all does go well with these guys and you get some fry...all the best...

#16 Daniel Stefanovich

Daniel Stefanovich
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

Time to make some money smile.gif

#17 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

Fishkeeping shouldn't be about making money... wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users