Jag And Carpintis Able To Breed?

jaguar cichlid carpintis breeding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jarrod90

Jarrod90
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

Just wondering if a Jag can breed successfully with a Herichthys carpintis? I know a lot of peoples stance on hybrids, I won't be promoting or selling them but I just wanna know what to expect.

In my tank I have a female jag about 15cm, male firemouth about 12-13 cm, a male carpintis about 11-12 cm and a ~12cm Jack Dempsey that I only just added to the tank and is still quite submissive. Jag laid her first lot of eggs about a month or two ago. Until now the FM has been the dominant male, and he and the Jag act like a pair. She has been acting like she's about to spawn again last week or so. Its interesting to watch but I've read the two fish can't interbreed so knew nothing would happen.

Went out for a few hours tonight and came home to find the Carp seems to have taken over haha. Carpintis and jag swimming around together, same sort of courting behavior going on between them and the the FM is hiding up in the darker top corner behind some Vallisneria, looks pretty roughed up and gets chased back there by the carp if he even starts to come out (will keep an eye on this, can move him to another tank if things get too bad).

I was orinally sold the carpintis as a Texas cichlid which I now know is very similar and can sometimes breed with a jaguar cichlid, but I can't find anything on wether these two can successfully breed, so don't know what to expect 

Edited by Jarrod90, 13 June 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#2 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

Yes they can, but why would you?
Free food I guess :)

#3 Jarrod90

Jarrod90
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

Like I said just want to know what to expect in my tank haha, if they do spawn the fry will likely end up getting chomped up by the other fish in there. Really interesting to watch the pairs behaviour though, makes me even more keen to get a tank set up for breeding some Salvini! 

Thanks Az

#4 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

dunno if the fry would get eaten as the others may get killed by the defensive means of the jag.

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

The fry would eventually get smashed by the parents when spawning again, would they not?
Another problem will be your pair will get angry aandget their biff on with the other fish.

#6 Jarrod90

Jarrod90
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Will see how it goes, might have to get a divider to keep the jag seperate whenever she's spawning if there's too much aggression

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jaguar, cichlid, carpintis, breeding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users