Photo

Hydra Internal Filters - Hydra 40 And 50

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

I have been doing a bit of research on the above and if you believe the blurb they are the best thig since sliced bread! Especially for keeping water nitrate and nitrite stable.

Does anyone have any first hand experience they can share,

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:27 AM

I've never even heard of them

A quick Google search came up with this video:

You'll obviously want first-hand experience though...

#3 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:19 PM

I have a hydra 40  it has been running for 8 months  roughly  and no issues at all and Iam sure that it is doing what it is meant to do ... well the test results prove it to me anyways

#4 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

I've seen/heard they are great however on a heavy load or big tank it chews through the cartridges which aren't that cheap

#5 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

There are 2 types of cartridges  and yes 1 of them is a lot dearer than the one for the Hydra 40

just to add you get 2 cart's in the box from new

#6 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:55 PM

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the input
Cheers

#7 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:15 PM

In Aquaculture, they use what is called ozone generators,, this is used to alter molecular structures in water for certain instances,, also straight out water purifiers.
This unit what I see is, this process happening happening with inside the box with water passing through getting treated.

The standard methods treating water directly uses electrical currents through the water and is no good for small size fish, and possibly things like catfish and stingrays that have electrical sensory nodes around the nose areas.
I looked into it, but my fry would be effected.

And bought the external one of the one pictured above,,, I wouldn't know if it's working or not lol.

#8 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:57 PM

It would want to be better than there heaters.

#9 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:58 AM

In Aquaculture, they use what is called ozone generators,, this is used to alter molecular structures in water for certain instances,, also straight out water purifiers.
This unit what I see is, this process happening happening with inside the box with water passing through getting treated.

The standard methods treating water directly uses electrical currents through the water and is no good for small size fish, and possibly things like catfish and stingrays that have electrical sensory nodes around the nose areas.
I looked into it, but my fry would be effected.

And bought the external one of the one pictured above,,, I wouldn't know if it's working or not lol.

Completely rubbish. I am an aquaculturist and have used ozone generators in hatcheries. The half-life of ozone is extremely small. Something like 5-6 seconds. The ozonated water was used disinfect copepods, artemia, crustacean larvae including phyllosoma and many fish larvae.
Please don't comment on things that you have no experience in.

#10 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:44 AM

I'm actually horrified at the way I'm thought of here to a small group of people on here now "something twisted somewhere".

I had simply picked up the phone and called two seperate suppliers of these devices,, they both said, at the level or strength frequency needed to treat water to beneficial purposes may deter breeding and effect some ornamental type fry fish,, see our cultured and farmed food fish are specially chosen for growth speeds and farm domestication suitability,,,, and I'm sure many fish aren't effected by the treatment.
But you know what ? My little friend (Bostave),,,, is that you've actually rekindled my hope in this again,, I'm actually hoping I got bad info from two calls in a row,, simply because this just contributes to making my life a little easier to managing 33,000 liters in my breedroom,,,,, which some very amazing things can be seen in my breedroom...

Edited by Buccal, 29 September 2016 - 04:45 AM.

#11 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:49 AM

You do know I'm talking about ozone treatment in circulation systems don't you ???,,,,

#12 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:27 AM

Ozone is extremely safe and effective disinfectant. I have conducted experiments with ozone and ozone with combination of probiotics. Many marine and finfish hatcheries are switching to ozone.

#13 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:29 PM

Ozone is not new.
Ozone recirculative systems are nothing like disinfectant systems for tools and so on.
I'll be demanding some heavy answers from the two places I spoke to two years,, if I get the same feed back I'll post the given info on here.
But they stand to lose a sale if they weren't telling the real story.
But I was told it is controlled by a turn dial which increases current frequency,, they said for the amount that it needs to be adjusted to, to effectively give any advantages, can be to strong for many sensitive fry types.
I'm sure it can be used without harming smaller fish, but can it be used to benefit without effecting fish ?
Or are you saying there's no way possible it can effect fish,, even turned up to full noise ??
I'll seriously be looking into this, especially with extending my breed room with another 40,000 liters plus of water.
Very interesting, and I'm now excited with rekindled hope,, cool. 🙂

Edited by Buccal, 29 September 2016 - 05:33 PM.

#14 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

By the way Bostave,, what's your degree called ??,,, and do you have a paid job in relation to your degree ??.

#15 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:49 PM

My degree is not your concern. I do work as a consultant for two aquaculture farms. I offer solutions in fish health, nutrition and environmental policies.

#16 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:27 PM

http://www.dpi.nsw.g...culture-systems

A good read and may clear up some of the confusion. If used correctly ozone is safe. However it can be dangerous in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they are doing - probably why you got the advice that you did. An understanding of some basic chemistry would be important.

#17 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:29 AM

http://www.dpi.nsw.g...culture-systems
A good read and may clear up some of the confusion. If used correctly ozone is safe. However it can be dangerous in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they are doing - probably why you got the advice that you did. An understanding of some basic chemistry would be important.

thanks Poncho,,, Yes, the people I spoke to said if used correctly to suit the inhabitants,,, then the reasoning for the usage in water treatment becomes excessively compromised.

#18 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:40 AM

So I believe that what happens inside the box of the filter in this topic is similar to this,, but my belief is that scientifically yes they do what they say,, but I believe these to be also ineffective in terms of measured benefits.
Also, I put mine on about 3-5 weeks ago,,, it has a pump pumping water through it, lol, the output volume has already slowed by half.
These things are only ok for light on aquariums like nice clean light bio loads.

#19 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:00 AM

The main issue with using electricity to bust raw sewerage, rather than microbes to convert it to nitrate, is that if you lose the hydra pump you find yourself in a situation where ammonia/nitrite is suddenly building up. OK if you catch it in time but can be heart breaking if you don't. No real difference to losing fish to say, the cold when a heater breaks, or lack of O2 when a filter breaks.  Just something to keep in mind.

Ozone tends to be more of a threat to skimmers and aquarists, than to fish. Ozone sounds all friendly being made of oxygen, but its not quite the same! If visitors to your house can taste a coppery taint to the air, its time to turn it down and open a window! Also check your skimmer is rated for use with, as it doesnt always take long to effect the acrylic.

#20 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:39 AM

There are sensors available that measure ozone in the air that beep to indicate that it is dangerous to be in that room. Also gas masks are available for ozone. However, these were used to generate ozone in relatively smaller containers from where it was added to systems which required intermittent ozone exposure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users