native black bream buy

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DiverDan

DiverDan
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

Good Morning PCS,

does anyone know any sponsor stores which are selling black bream? Or if anyone could sell me a couple that would be great. I would prefer small size but not too picky.

Cheers :D

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

Black  Bream are pretty hard to find commercially... Super Slow Growth. No real  Aquaculture value. Every now and then they come up on Gumtree but usually at a fair size. Best bet might be wild caught little ones... You got a fishing rod?

#3 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

Size restrictions still apply if you are catching Black Bream to take home, so I would recommend against keeping little ones.

Expect an average of 1cm/year growth from them

#4 DiverDan

DiverDan
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

I've fished for Black Bream for a few years so I know how to get them from the wild and have caught plenty of undersize ones (all returned).

I don't want to break any laws taking any home, but i assume if it is of legal size to take home and eat surely i could chuck it in an aquarium?

However, I would always rather support a LFS than catch an animal from the wild, I saw some old threads saying Vebas used to stock them sometimes, maybe I could ask if they can order me one in.

The slow growth rate doesnt bother me, I have always thought they were interesting fish and would love to have one in a Swan River Biotope type aquarium.

cheers for your help guys

#5 dori

dori
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

if you do catch them from the swan, make sure you bring a measuring tape, I believe the min size is 25cm

#6 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

Make sure you put Blowies in your Swan River Biotype tank, chuck a couple brown and white Jellies for good measure and 1 or 2 Pearl Cichlids too.

Edited by MrLeifBeaver, 16 January 2015 - 01:22 PM.

#7 DiverDan

DiverDan
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

Make sure you put Blowies in your Swan River Biotype tank, chuck a couple brown and white Jellies for good measure and 1 or 2 Pearl Cichlids too.

I've actually thought lots about a species only common blowfish tank, I hate them when I am fishing but they sure do have a personality, plus I'm sure fisheries would have no problem with me taking a few small blowfish... Maybe I should call and check, it would be a lot easier to catch a blowie than a size Black Bream! :P

if you do catch them from the swan, make sure you bring a measuring tape, I believe the min size is 25cm

I have one in my car as well as the fisheries fish measure that they hand out, I've always been very careful to follow the rules because one day I wouldn't mind a career in the field.

Also so my (future) kids and future generations can enjoy the swan and ocean just like I have, WA has amazing biodiversity and I am quite passionate about protecting it and respecting the rules

#8 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

I have one in my car as well as the fisheries fish measure that they hand out, I've always been very careful to follow the rules because one day I wouldn't mind a career in the field.

Also so my (future) kids and future generations can enjoy the swan and ocean just like I have, WA has amazing biodiversity and I am quite passionate about protecting it and respecting the rules

Yeah always good to ensure size limits. Did you know they have put a catch limit on Herring now. 12p/person per day.

Edited by MrLeifBeaver, 16 January 2015 - 01:39 PM.

#9 DiverDan

DiverDan
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

Yeah always good to ensure size limits. Did you know they have put a catch limit on Herring now. 12p/person per day.

Yeah I got an email from the fisheries department not too long ago, it's handy being on their email list, I probably would of only just found out now from you if they didnt send me the email

#10 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:35 PM

I'm sure fisheries would have no problem with me taking a few small blowfish... Maybe I should call and check, it would be a lot easier to catch a blowie than a size Black Bream! :P

Do us a favour Dan, if you find a fisheries officer that is actually helpful, pass his/her details on so I can make sense of a few things

#11 DiverDan

DiverDan
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

Do us a favour Dan, if you find a fisheries officer that is actually helpful, pass his/her details on so I can make sense of a few things

Will do! not gonna hold my breath though!

I've met some awesome blokes working for fisheries come down to Bicton Baths and check my catch before, had a decent chat, hopefully I can get in touch with someone similar

#12 Adam

Adam
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:27 PM

Black bream are a great teaching species for hatchery technicians. The Freo TAFE may still use them and sell them off. Worth the question as you would get them post metamorphosis at ~25mm Adam

Edited by Adam, 31 January 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#13 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:59 PM

if freo doesnt work try some tafes further down south. albany tafe used to do them not sure if they still do and there was a few farmers trialing them in floating cages when it was too hot for rainbow trout, but that was a few years back

#14 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:36 AM

dunno bout the slow growth... my mate has a dam full of them... he reckons 4-5 years to plate size.... he has had em in there for over 25 years.... at times the water clears up and you can see them all.... 

#15 Adam

Adam
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:28 AM

Yep the best we did commercially was 2.5 to 3 years. A great teaching species but not a good commercial one.
<br />
<br />Adam
<br />

#16 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:14 PM

dunno bout the slow growth... my mate has a dam full of them... he reckons 4-5 years to plate size.... he has had em in there for over 25 years.... at times the water clears up and you can see them all.... 

Awesome! maybe we could have a BBQ there and do some fishing?

#17 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:33 PM

i keep asking him too !!! :) 

chapman valley fishing park do bream fingerlings at certain times of the year.... 

#18 Adam

Adam
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

Golden ponds?
<br />

#19 keleherr

keleherr
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

Try challenger tafe in freo they usually have them. I work in fisheries research at Murdoch uni and have gotten them from there for trials and others use them for teaching. In an aquarium in low numbers they do fight. Bream growth rates vary heaps between systems, it is diet and temp related.

#20 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:53 PM

Old topic but thought id update in case its of any use.
Definitly black bream fingerlings coming from Geraldton at the moment... not sure who but assume its the joint Johnno mentioned. A couple of AP retailers get them in occasionally. One I spoke to recently in Clarkson mentioned that hardly any were sold for AP (hardly surprising). Most of the ones he sold were for aquariums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users