Eheim Filter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Aulonocarafreak

Aulonocarafreak
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

Hi everyone,
I finally finished and set up my new tank, a 230lt entirely DIY included stand/cabinet, background (pictures will follow soon). It's been running for a few days now and only a couple of days ago I accidentally unplugged the filter power cord and as soon I replugged it of course the water flow through the spray bar wasn't as strong as before. It was actually just a tricle. Ok i thought, let's re prime the cannister...
Done and still no sign of decent pressure through the spray bar. Re primed it once again and same story, just a tricle.
I took the canister and cleaned the media, cleaned the hoses, and before I reconnected everything I just checked the from tank hose's water flow, meaning if it is syphoning properly. And it was not what I expected. Just a little flow coming from the tank. When syphoning the water should rush down the hose!
The hose is quite clean and i can't see any blockage. Plus, when i start up the filter I can still hear a noise as if an air bubble is still trapped in the canister (typical rattling noise of the impeller).
I tried to shake the canister but no luck. The flow is not as good as before.
It is also true the fact that the tank is slightly taller than the previous one but I'm well within the max head of the filter.
I still believe that the issue is that the water is not coming down from the tank at the right flow rate and I can't pin point the cause apparently.
Any suggestions folks?
Thank you in advance.

#2 Robbotheyobbo

Robbotheyobbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

What model filter is it mate ?

#3 Aulonocarafreak

Aulonocarafreak
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

It's a 2213 Classic

#4 Aulonocarafreak

Aulonocarafreak
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

Here's a pic of the new tank.

Attached Files

#5 silverscreen

silverscreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

people are going to ask you questions that you have already asked yourself so i will be the first...

have you check the inlet to the filter...ripp it out of the tank and run water thru it in the sink...if you have a cleaning brush on a wire run that thru it no matter how clean it looks.

also do the same to the outlet...you might have picked something up when it started back up.

those brushes on a wire are vital for canister filters...i think eheim should include them with the filters.

#6 Aulonocarafreak

Aulonocarafreak
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

people are going to ask you questions that you have already asked yourself so i will be the first...

have you check the inlet to the filter...ripp it out of the tank and run water thru it in the sink...if you have a cleaning brush on a wire run that thru it no matter how clean it looks.

I checked the inlet to the filter, but I'm going to give it a further clean up with a brush!

I also forgot to mention that I took apart the impeller casing and the impeller itself and gave a good clean.
I tried to run just the pump head on a bucket , dunking the lid of the canister where the actual pump is located and it runs great with heaps of pressure coming out of the outlet tap.
I will try any possible options. This thing is buggering me a great deal!!

#7 silverscreen

silverscreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

check that impeller shaft hasnt snapped or you havent lost any of those rubber gromits that holds the shaft in place.

#8 Aulonocarafreak

Aulonocarafreak
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

Checked and everything looked fine to me.
I'll double check anyway. But as I mentioned in my previous post I ran the pump by itself dipping it in a bucket and the water comes out with heaps of pressure, and the impeller is absolutely quiet.
As soon as I put everything back together the impeller runs a little noisy.

#9 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

Sounds like a blockage in the hose or air maybe. Disconnect taps from canister head, open up taps and flush water up the hose with a garden hose to unblock it or to fill up with water . Then close taps quickly to keep the hose full off water, by the way use a empty bucket to catch the water. The impeller is making a noise because it isn't getting enough water supply. good luck

#10 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:59 AM

Sight through the ball valves and make sure they are opening fully.

#11 Aulonocarafreak

Aulonocarafreak
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

Hi folks,

It turns out it was a case of clogged arteries ;-). I brushed the hell out of all the hoses and now I got the pressure of a hydrant!!
The strange bit is that the gunk that was stuck in the hoses' walls was a sort of pinkish gelatine really hard to spot from outside.
All good now and thanks a lot for all your suggestions.
And YES Eheim should supply one of those little bottle brush with their filters.

#12 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

im betting those hoses are full of algae, or thats what got me

Edit:ok i just read the last post after typing this.

Edited by Sir_Anubias, 06 January 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#13 silverscreen

silverscreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:10 AM

i thought it was something like that...there is not alot that goes wrong with the 2213,2215,2217....i have had them all and the trick to them is keeping the hoses clean....and dont lose the rubber grommits ...and dont drop the empeller shaft down the sink drain.

its weird because it doesnt take much for them to loose pressure...slight bit a build up in the hoses and the pressure drops by half.

i use to clean the hoses out more than i clean the cannister out.

thats good news you got it going...keep the pics of the tank coming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users