Photo

Why haven't you joined the PCS ?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

Out of interest I thought I would try to find out why Registered Website Members have not become Financial Members.

As I said, just interested.

Regards
Col

#2 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

I am in the process of becoming a member after a long time of not been, i guess my main reason was been busy. Also i didn't realise i could pay direct to bank :roll:

I thought i would have to goto a post office and fill out a money order etc then wait for the reply then wait for the membership. But the good blows the bad out of the water:

Bad:
*5 min to send a PM to the secretary biggrin.gif
*Another 5 min to send a direct to bank biggrin.gif
*Cost is $25 single or $15 for concession

Good:
*Acess to breeding comp
*10% off at Sponsor stores
*Acess to PCS newsletter
*Acess to PCS meetings
*Acess to PCS auctions
*Acess to PCS libary
*Chance to win the membership award
*Entry into the photo competition

So if you don't want to spend $25 (or $15) and 10 min of your life then you can see what your missing out on biggrin.gif

Thanks

Nic

#3 Ashana

Ashana
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

Time and funds :roll:

I have to pin hubby down to actually commit to paying a bank deposit (he is very busy trying to make stuff for his Cichlids) and Funds, the kids have so many things happening right now sucking up all the "spare" money we have.

We will be doing it soon though wink.gif

Aimee

#4 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:51 PM

good question col....

imo, i can see why financial memberships would not appeal to everyone...

certain benefits offered are accessable without a f/m... ie, the forum, meetings, auctions, local librarys, lfs discounts etc...

it will always be difficult to ask someone to pay $25 if they can achieve very similar without paying a cent...

e. :wink:

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:17 PM

G'day

I just simply wont benefit from it.

Having said that I will get around to becoming a member within the next couple months. As I feel that I have used a good $25 worth of forum bandwidth. Oh and I simply can't wait to see all the magic that goes on behind the closed doors of the financial members forum! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

As a non club member. I feel that it has become a bit of a 'boys club' being a club member. Just my opinion. With a fair bit of pressure being placed on people to join. If people want to join they will. Myself if I feel someone is pressuring me to do something, I will be less inclined to do so.

Take it easy.

#6 Helen_au

Helen_au
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:22 PM

I was never sure of what benefit there was for me to be a club member........being in NSW Im never going ot be able to attend any meetings or auctions. But as Nic pointed out there are online benefits too....maybe I should rethink not joining???

#7 Guest_Snowy_*

Guest_Snowy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:53 PM

(Peckoltia)
G'day

Having said that I will get around to becoming a member within the next couple months. As I feel that I have used a good $25 worth of forum bandwidth. Oh and I simply can't wait to see all the magic that goes on behind the closed doors of the financial members forum! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

As a non club member. I feel that it has become a bit of a 'boys club' being a club member. Just my opinion. With a fair bit of pressure being placed on people to join. If people want to join they will. Myself if I feel someone is pressuring me to do something, I will be less inclined to do so.

Take it easy.

I couldn't have said it any better myself so I'll just echo peckoltia :twisted:

#8 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:58 PM

"being in NSW Im never going ot be able to attend any meetings or auctions"

im pretty sure u can attend the meetings and auction regardless of whether you are a club member or not...( is that correct? )

and alex, i too really wanted to see what was behind the closed doors...lol, and there was absolutely nothing juicy! hehe... oh except a brief section where a guy wanted to meet another guy for a bit of biff... that was pretty funny...had me in tears... laugh.gif

"As a non club member. I feel that it has become a bit of a 'boys club' being a club member." laugh.gif laugh.gif yes but that doesnt seem to be as apparent over the last few weeks...

At the end of the day i encourage everone to become a club member, but either way financial or not we all contribute to make this site a valuable resource...
but i cant understand the idea that non-FM's ideas and views are less important than those of FM's? Sure FMs final say should carry more weight, but in recent discussions, non-fms views were basically dismissed and treated as irrelevant...

Financial or non-financial, there shouldnt be a barrier in everyday discussions and as alex pointed out... "boys clubs" thinking they are better than others simply because they are financial members...

e. :wink:

#9 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:06 PM

(Snowy)
(Peckoltia)
G'day

Take it easy.

I couldn't have said it any better myself so I'll just echo peckoltia :twisted:

echo echo echo

to much politics these days

i dont need to pay 25 bucks to have the micky pulled out on me :roll: and i find by my self i can do better then 10% discount

and i dont keep one cichlid any more unless its a feeder and im coming on less and less

and i feel there are two lots of rules belive it or not

like a certain person and co was commenting making many post on a subject in the clasifieds that was off topic and this whent on for a while i even comment on it was off topic cause just befor i comment of a nice tb forsale and it was deleted with was fair enought but other pcs mebers or mods seam to be able to do it so umm yeah

its funny how people and things change my friends :idea:

and yes people its an old boys club

#10 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:23 PM

Alex and Snowy you are both clever guys and I think you'd both be an asset to the club if you joined, but some of the things you guys are saying here I'd have to disagree with.

Boys club? I'm a member and I dont know what gives you guys this impression. Its a club, and you may be feeling a little left out or left behind but what do you expect if you choose not to be a member?

Pressure to join? I didn't feel pressure to join, I'm sure the gun Colin put to my head only had blanks in it. Just kidding. If anything the PCS is a little slack when it comes to putting on the pressure for people to join IMO.

I use and enjoy this forum a lot, and for that alone I felt compelled to join and pay my dues and know that my money is going towards building a bigger and better club, a club that represents and is an asset to the hobby we love, if your not enjoying this forum and feel no benefits, and dont want to become part of what makes the club bigger and better you need to ask yourself why do you come here?

#11 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

(Den)
Alex and Snowy you are both clever guys and I think you'd would be an asset to the club if you joined, but some of the things you guys are saying here I'd have to disagree with.

Boys club? I'm a member and I dont know what gives you guys this impression. Its a club, and you may be feeling a little left out or left behind but what do you expect if you arent a member?

Pressure to join? I didn't feel pressure to join, I'm sure the gun Colin put to my head only had blanks in it. Just kidding. If anything the PCS is a little slack when it comes to putting on the pressure for people to join IMO.

I use and enjoy this forum a lot, and for that alone I felt compelled to join and pay my dues and know that my money is going towards building a bigger and better club, a club that represents and is an asset to the hobby we love, if your not enjoying this forum and feel no benefits, and dont want to become part of what makes the club bigger and better you need to ask yourself why do you come here?

Here Here. Totally Agree Den

#12 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

When I say "a club that represents the hobby we love", even when the club was in disarray a while back and our hobby was being attacked by bad media over the feral Brasilensis outbreak, PCS members rallied and stuck up for our hobby! Dont you think thats its an important asset for our hobby?

Cheers
Den

#13 Guest_Snowy_*

Guest_Snowy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

(Den)
Alex and Snowy you are both clever guys and I think you'd both be an asset to the club if you joined, but some of the things you guys are saying here I'd have to disagree with.

Boys club? I'm a member and I dont know what gives you guys this impression. Its a club, and you may be feeling a little left out or left behind but what do you expect if you choose not to be a member?

Snowy: Agreed Den a club is a club but this one has a section for financial and non financial members....boys club members only admitted if you pay your $25. I feel segregated/pressured unless I pay up. It' not that I can't afford it either, far from it, but if it is a club for all then why the separate section for members only?

Snowy: I think peckoltia answered this in his post in the first paragraph, we agree. No one mentioned anything about being unhappy visiting this site tho.... we do use our fair share here but to the benefit ( we hope ) of all who wish to read, not just financial members in the financial members section :wink:

Is there something in the members section that mere mortals are forbidden to see :twisted:

Ps no disrepect intended to ANY member of the boys club :wink:

In fact quite the opposite, I ve heard the members forum described as sanctuary from the tyre kickers, like coming inside from a cold storm.

This I can sympathise wiith greatly, and appreciate, but not all outsiders tend to be tyre kickers, just the usual rotten apple that gives the rest a bad name. The only protected forum IMO should be the moderating team forum :wink:

last edit i promise... :roll:

Den you know me personally :cry: and you know my circumstances. Out of respect for local retailers I have not said much on these forums.

The only real benefit for me to join the PCS, and this in the nicest possible way and the reason I will join, in my own time, :wink: is to meet more fantastic people in this hobby than I have already met, like yourself m8ty 8).

I lead a very busy life style which mainly involves coming alive after sundown, when I function best...don't know why lol tongue.gif: The PCS meetings, as glorious as they sound, would be harder to attend as they would clash. I will make it up one evening though I hope in the near future :wink:

#14 the_german

the_german
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:35 PM

yeah i must say i dont have any benefit of that as well,10% hm,im selling aquarium supplies and most of the times im 40% under the shop price so that one is out,meetings hm i play dart league on tuesdays falls out as well,newsletter hm interrested in that,the section for financal members hm not really interrested in that.........
sounds like i have to become a member to help this fantastic forum

only thing i dont like on this forum is that posts get deleted very fast,a forum has to show different opinions and when somebody dont agrees than its good,when you edit the post because some ppoeple cant control their language thats ok but dont delete the whole post.

and one word to the sponsors,guys when you dont do anything you cant complain.

just my two cent feel free to delete

cheers

michael

#15 Ham

Ham
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

I think its a good way to put faces to names
and a good way to get a few fish nuts together
and have a good old chin wagg also for the male
gender the wifes come along too and start to show
more intrest in the hobbie also to everyone a club
is a club weather it is for fish,darts pool, fishing
ect ect its just a good thing for people to enjoy
and come together and share intrest and knowledge
and meet some happy faces.
Just my 2 cents
Cheers Graham. biggrin.gif

#16 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:30 PM

Hmm....

Cant really say i agree with the whole boys clubs thing??

Both myself and Christine attend the meetings and enjoy chatting to like minded people,Christine doesnt go on the forums but anyone who talks to her will still realise she has a passion for the hobby and a fair bit of knowledge too!!

Where can we all arrange to be together at the same time to talk fish and have a laugh Lee, Den?

Its good to get together and you will be surprised at how many great people you get to meet at any given night, as it was nice to meet Zak78,redfish001,dom,cawdor and barramundi face to face for the first time last week!

For myself i have heaps of fun and much prefer meetings where i can poke fun at Cols toyota or bag Adam (CCA001) for continuing to breed his damn msobo`s still,get John(keenas) to check that ive calibrated my ph meter correctly or even smack Terry around abit while we do the auction biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Sorry guys but sitting behind this keyboard is only the starting point for me!
Hurry up October Meet!!!

Cheers biggrin.gif
Craig

#17 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:15 PM

"Cant really say i agree with the whole boys clubs thing"

yeh im not sure what alex meant by it, but i did def notice a small group forming and it wasnt all of the financial members... just a small bunch...but like i said earlier... it seems to have dissipated over the last few weeks...

"Sorry guys but sitting behind this keyboard is only the starting point for me! "

I guess this is where i am different... i have still contributed and become a club member, but this is where the buck stops... at my keyboard... as far as auctions and meetings go that is...
But obviously for buying and selling it is a little different... and yes, ive also met a ton of fantastic friends... :wink:

This could also be due to the fact that cichlids is not actually my area... infact, im sure that is the main reason...hehe :wink:

#18 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:23 PM

Hey Alex and Snowy that last paragraph wasnt directed at you it was just a general overview of why I pay me membership.

Cheers
Den

#19 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:51 PM

To be brutally honest I have not become a club member cause It doesnt really beneift me in any way I could careless about what goes on in the financial members section and am not that keen to go to any meetings or auctions even though you dont need to be a member.

If I gave the site $25 bucks would that make me feel any better? and what would i have gained?:?

I like it being free.
I admit it I'm selfish and I'm sure I'm not the only one...Its the truth! biggrin.gif

#20 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:59 AM

Well im sure we could just about open up a southern chapter but then all the guys i know in the club who live in south geraldton would miss out hey biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I still think its the best way for all of us fish mad people to be in one place at one time talking fish!

Cheers
Craig

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users