Photo

Calico Or Marbled

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

Calico or Marbled - though I am guessing they are one and the same? I don't recall these being around 15 years ago so they are new to me.Attached File  20161220_101036.jpg   64.22KB   10 downloads

#2 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

I am pretty sure calico and marble are the same thing. It is the OB (orange blotch) gene that is showing. You do get varying degrees of the orange and brown showing in individuals. I do not think there is two different alleles for this like there is with albino, though I could be wrong. My first experience with them surfacing was around 8-10 years ago. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hood, 20 December 2016 - 11:36 AM.

#3 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for that - appreciate the input - like all the bn's they breed like crazy and I have noticed in the various batches of fry that some are a lot more orange than others, even at 2/3 cm, and from the same parents. I would guess that as they get up to the 5/6 cm mark the colouration will stabilise, as after 8/10 years they should breed fairly true to type or is it still a lottery?

And Yes Hood - I do breed line bred varieties,LOL - but only bristlenose.

#4 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:36 PM

I find from my batches there is still a lot of variation from individual to individual as to the amount of orange to brown. However mine are from the first batch I came across from a local breeder 8-10 years ago, so others may now have less variation in their lines I am presuming? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hood, 20 December 2016 - 01:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users