Photo

New Tank

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#61 DavidK

DavidK
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Looks great mate! Hope it all holds well :) love to see its progress!
Haha looks like a mammal ;)

#62 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

well its been 24hrs, the tank is still holding tight and strong. there is no signs of weakness anywhere and more importantly no leaks.. im hoping to get onto the plumbing for it next week if all goes well..

#63 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Good going :)

#64 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

Nice one mate. Looking really good!

#65 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

Well all the plumbing is done, sump is hooked up and running smooth.. will get some more pics

So it will be left outside for another week until it goes inside, just to be on the safe side. In the meantime im going to start the cabinet and hood for it.. and hopefully have it all ready for when it goes inside

#66 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

More pics?

#67 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

more photos, here is the plumbing, lids and the flow.. was a bit dark to get a good photo of the sump..

i still need to put the end onto the drain pipes that goes into the sump (angles arent glued yet), the lids are 6mm polycarb sheets both on the sump and tank

Attached Files

#68 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

Very nice, what filter media are you using? What size pump are you running?

Edited by slink, 02 July 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#69 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

pump is 9000lph and filter media is a combo of gutter guard, bioballs and filter foam

#70 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

Pump is massssssive man!!! I would recommend reducing that and putting some straight jets in the tank itself.

I have a 3000LPH pump running 2000LTR quiet comfortably. 

Water getting pushed through media that fast isn't going to allow max time for bac build up.

Also I have found Bio balls to be pretty much useless unless used properly and in a sump they are pretty much useless.

#71 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

Also I have found Bio balls to be pretty much useless unless used properly and in a sump they are pretty much useless.

How would you recommend them to be used Sam? I have just put some in my sump and interested to see if they are right.

#72 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

The pump is rated 9000Lph.. at my head height its around 7000lph, and it has a tap on it to adjust it down again if need be..

#73 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

SAMs right, with that much water passing through at one time,,, the contact time of water to beneficial bacteria is minimized.
But using this size pump is still ok used correctly.
You can T off water going into sump and have roughly 3000 liters a hour passing through.
The rest is T'd off back directly into tank shooting across water surface.
With this much turn over you will never have any build up on bottom (never have to siphon vac).

If you stock this tank with more large fish,, the bio balls will need to be gently rinsed of occasionally,, this is sometimes a little time consuming with sum set ups.
But the use of K1 or K3 in a tumble or jiggling motion using air or resident water flow means the whole lot is 100% active and never ever needs cleaning,,, as the motion keeps them free of junk and fully colonized with robust oxygen loving beneficial bacteria.

#74 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

How would you recommend them to be used Sam? I have just put some in my sump and interested to see if they are right.

Hey man. Bios balls need constinant water flowing over them to work. I have found in a big area of a sump the majority of them will just sit dormant. I guess the whole sump area would have to be chocked full for them to work correctly?

I have had great sucess using expanded clay balls you can pick up from bunnings. They will sink to the bottom and with not much space between each ball more water is running through them constinantly. Only bad thing is, even with good mechanical filtration you still get a build up and need to be cleaned maybe every 6-9 months depending on the waste load from your fish.

I have recently changed my filtration to K3 media and am loving it. With the media constinantly moving there is no build up of crap betweeen the media and majority is caught in the mechanical sponges that I rinse twice a week.

If you would like more bioballs to fill your sump "if it isnt already" PM me as I have about a large garbage bag full in the shed. I also have a heap of cycled expanded clay.

#75 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Okay as it has been holding solid for a week i am starting to think about moving it, lighting/hood and the cabinet are still to come. But they can be done when its inside, and will be made to come off incase it needs to be moved (not that im planning on it, but you never know)

So i thought i might tally up a costing of how much it has cost me..

4x  2400mm x 1200mm 25mm Plywood

4 x 2400mm 90x45 Structual Pine

9 x 3000mm 90x45 Structual Pine

Screws / Glue                                          $482.00   all from Bunnings

10 sqm Woven Fibreglass

8 ltrs West system Epoxy Resin

Black Pigment

steel fibreglass roller                              $367.00   from Fibreglass & Resin sales Welshpool

2 x 850mm x 1100 12mm Glass

8 Tubes clear aquarium silicone

1 Tube black general silicone(outside)

Black enamel paint (outside)                 $215.00   all from Bunnings

Acc grinding discs/sanding pads etc..   $200.00   

Total                                                      $1264.00

So thats what its cost me to build JUST the tank and stand, i have spent more than this (of course) doing the sump, plumbing and all the rest..

I think it was definately worth the effort. Not only because compared to buying one around the same size, the price difference is huge. but also i have really enjoyed building it and cannot wait to get it into its inside home..( having another space in the carport would be good to). And it hasnt taken ages to get it to this stage either, i started on the 17/05/2013 7weeks ago working on it weekends and afternoons. You do lose a week or so in drying times for the resins and paints.

There will still be alot more to come with pics of the cabinets, hood, lighting etc.. but i would like to say thanks to everyone on their feedback and interest...

#76 Valkeris

Valkeris
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

so when do you start taking orders?  :D

#77 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

LOL .. need to finish mine first lol

#78 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Its In!! ..

This weekend we thought we go for it and move the tank inside. It was actually alot easier than i thought it would be, the tank and stand we moved in as one peice. We lifted one side and slid a plank with wheels under and clamped it to the legs, ditto for the other end.. and it rolled perfectly, wasnt that heavy either at a guess the whole thing probably would be 300kg at most. Once we had it in we just lifted the sump inside and slid it under on a blanket, then replaced the blanket for polystyrene foam.

Attached Files

#79 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

Your a braver man than me, i wouldn't trust a ply tank inside and on timber flooring but good luck to ya.

#80 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

That stand going to be sturdy enough ? Just seams a bit under done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users