Quick + Easy + Cheap Diy Led Conversion

Diy led

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:30 PM

Just a quick showcase of the 1 day build converting an old aquarium hood light into a 20 watt led light. Im not sure what was originally in the place of the current leds but I assume it was either a t5 or a t6, but as I want to set up a planted tank, I would have to replace the basic lighting anyway. The tank is a 20 liter bow front, and now has 20 watts pumping through it  :), haha slightly overkill. The whole project cost less than $30 including 3 spare leds.

Parts:

Heatsink (cut in half for each led): http://www.ebay.com....=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

LEDs: http://www.ebay.com....=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

40mm Fans: http://www.ebay.com....=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

A 12v 2a Switching power supply

An Acrylic Sheet

Power adapter head

Tank lid

DSC_0009.jpg

The aquarium led initially looked like this, you can see the 5 mounting points at the center of the image.

DSC_0004_1.jpg

The heatsinks, leds and fans all parts that were purchased cheaply off of ebay.

DSC_0011.jpg

Rough layout of how I wanted to mount everything.

DSC_0012_1.jpg

Drilling holes in side heatsinks.

DSC_0014.jpg

Mounting LEDs.

DSC_0015_1.jpg

Finished LED mount arm.

DSC_0016_1.jpg

Test fitting.

DSC_0018_1.jpg

LED wiring, all in parallel including fans. Notice most wiring is hidden in center heatsink, and the joints between each arm heatsinks and center heatsink are cemented with heatsink cement.

DSC_0025_1.jpg

Make acrylic cap.

DSC_0026_1.jpg

All finished, mind the finger  :P

DSC_0029_1.jpg

Bright! Muuuuucch brighter in person.

DSC_0027.jpg

All done!

Alright in conclusion, everything worked out reasonably well. I am no electronics genius but I know a little, and hopefully enough for this to last into the future. Next time I would leave out the fans as I am quietly confident that there is no need. They honestly dont get too hot for concern with this many heatsinks. Thanks all for reading the post, any/ all feedback/ questions are welcome.  :lol:

#2 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:49 PM

Good job. At a little under 100lumens/watt it's going to be reasonably economical. If you are growing plants in the tank I will be interested to see how well the spectrum suits them.

How close are they to the perspex? They look flush in the pix. That would be my worry in terms of heat.

#3 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

Yea this will be my first planted tank so I don't know how reliable my data in that regard will be. Between the leds and the acrylic there is about a 5mm gap, im watching for heat problems but have detected no massive issues so far, the acrylic is warm to the touch, but not warm enough to cause concern in my opinion, I honestly thought the leds would put out a fair bit more heat than they do.

Edit: Cheers Kleinz for the feedback

Edited by Clownz!!, 25 July 2015 - 10:05 PM.

#4 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

Love a good diy! Nice work mate

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Diy, led

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users