Photo

1st tank busters

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ChRiS_06

ChRiS_06
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:43 PM

These are my first 2 tankbusters [there not really tank busters yet but they will be soon biggrin.gif ]
I have a silver arrowana and a clown knive purchased off steve on sunday. The arro already comes and up eats close to me and has a real personality. I fed him a cricket the other day and it was one of the best things i have ever seen.They have HUGE mouths. I have not seen the clown knive eat but i was told they are nocternal so i always put in a bit of food when the lights go out.
Is it ok to feed the arro insects?
This is a pic. One of steves catfish bit the clowns tail off :evil: , but it should grow back soon.
Cheers chris
And steve, yes im hooked laugh.gif

#2 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:46 PM

Nice, the bug bites.

I hope you have a big tank for these guys as they can both reach 3'. Something atleast 8' long and 3'+ wide.

I have a Chitala lopis similar to your CK. Growing like a weed. I have found once knives settle into their environments which usually takes a bit longer then fish like aros they will feed during the day. My knife is a huge pig, will always come and greet me when he's hungry. When he has a full belly, he has the screw you apparoach, and just chills in his log!

#3 ChRiS_06

ChRiS_06
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:16 PM

they are in a 4x2x2.5 right now but it is ONLY temporary becausw i wanted to get the at the cheap price steve had them for. I will be getting a larger tank in about 3 weeks.
I want to add some fish with them, steve suggested some geos, any other suggestions?

#4 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:04 AM

AWESOME... Some nice fish.. Going to be BIG tank busters biggrin.gif

Cheers
Aquatic Dreams™

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:48 AM

Geo's will just get eaten in the long run, most max out at around 8" - your arowana should get to 3'. I'd be more inclined to go with something like tinfoil barbs or red hook silver dollars/pacu.

If you getting a sufficiently large tank, you can't go past a TSN/RTC, great personalities on them, awesome looks and an appetite matched by few.

#6 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

hey chris they look great mate, im glad your happy and that clowns tail has really healed up by the looks, just give it time to grow back and youll be apples.
for all you that dont know i had it in with a catty that bit the end of his tail off :cry: but looks like the meds i gave chris to prevent infection have worked a treat.
so you hooked yet chris laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#7 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:24 PM

woops just read the post again and all my statements and questions were answered :oops:

#8 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:51 PM

More pics mate.

#9 devilman

devilman
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:19 PM

nice work mate, i only keep tank busters i was hooked along time ago and now cant steer past them. id like to go check out steves collection and spend some coin on something similar when i get another tank set up. throw up some more pics bud looks mint

#10 ChRiS_06

ChRiS_06
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:19 PM

I will get a pic of them tonight when i feed them. Ill give him another cricket, it looks awesome biggrin.gif .
peckoltia, i would love to get a tsn but ive seent the price tag on those and im only 17 sad.gif , target doesnt pay the best.
What about monos and scats?
Is it basically any fish that grows large and flat like silver dollars etc. can go with these fish?
but i dont want anything to pick on my clown.

#11 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:26 AM

Mono's and scats would be a fine option. Earthies would be ok while your fish are small, but I just can't see them being the best choice in tankmates in the long run, unless you got some very large growing eartheaters.

How are they feeding so far?

Where are the pics?

Also insects are fine for you aro, they make up a good part of their natural diet (especially when young). You can even gut load them with fish flakes before you feed them off for added nurtients. It's pretty fun to watch as well.

Alex

#12 ChRiS_06

ChRiS_06
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

Well i still havent seen the clown eat, he hangs out witht the arro at the top of the tank then when i go to feed he hides straight away. The aro cant get enough food. I feed him MLS pellets, the really small ones because it wont eat the larger ones, then i give him a cricket or 2.

Will get more pics up today

#13 ChRiS_06

ChRiS_06
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:26 AM

as promised
Aro eating a poor cricket laugh.gif

Clown knive. His tail seems to be getting better but i still havnt seen him eat. Should i be woried?

#14 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:15 PM

Nice pics. It looks like your tank is barebottom? Although I'm not sure I could be looking at the side of the tank? do you have some logs for him to hide in? Knives love to hide (especially when young) make sure he has some nice secure caves to hide in. This will make your CK far more comfortable. Admittedly you will see him alot less. T/busters can go a long time without eating (obviously less as juveniles). I wouldn't be overly worried just yet. Ask Steve what he was feeding on and try that. If not try some feeders just to get his strength up.

Your aro looks like he is doing great. Good stuff.

#15 ChRiS_06

ChRiS_06
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:05 PM

No the tank isnt barebottom. there is no gravel but there is hollow wood which the knives hides in. When i turn off the lights i chuck in some small NLS pellets so im hoping the knives eating them. He doesnt look to be sick.
I will get some feeders on the weekend.

cheers chris

#16 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:29 PM

Barebottom usually implies no gravel. You can still have a barebottom tank with ornaments.

#17 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:36 PM

hey Chris,

Has the clown knife started to eat yet?

Craig biggrin.gif

#18 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:55 AM

I like barebottums

#19 ChRiS_06

ChRiS_06
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

thanks terry biggrin.gif ..I dont see the clown knive eat but im pretty sure its eating otherwise it wouldnt be alive right now. The arrows growing fast to.
more pics soon.

cheers chris

#20 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:21 AM

I like barebottoms too :twisted:

Mike biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users