Photo

Urgent SW live rock problem.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

I just got 5kg of live rock to start with in my tank (ill get some pics soon). There are about 10 of these clear boddied shrimp things with this faint black line down there spine's that seem to inhabbit my rock, they are very tiny my camera cant pic them up but one seems to own this little hollowed out tube that the others fight for.

Can any one identify? I was freaking out as i thought it was a mantis biggrin.gif

The suprising thing is, i though i had no hitchickers (inverts any way) but after about 2 hours my tank is crazy with life. These guys look cool but i dont want somthing that will endanger my fish.

They are:

Clear bodied
Black line down there spine
about this big: ----- if you streched them out.

They have many legs like a centipeed and one got angry at another and shook his tail like rattled it.

I say urgent beacause i dont want to be over runned by these things if there bad, seems like every time you look for them you spot more biggrin.gif

#2 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

dont worry nic there harmless mate, i dont know the exact name of them or what they are but ive had em in every salt water system ive had and i think they may be a form of bacteria type invert that seem to just appear like other bacterias.
as far as i know ive had no probs with them

steve

#3 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:55 AM

I just rang up the LFS that sold me them, after been passed around from person to person i finally got the guy who sold me the LR and he told me that they are kinda like a coral lice and harmless. They also said that they screen there LR for mantis shrimp as they can crack the tank the LR is in!!! 8O

Also is that your coral tank??? Now i am embarrassed to put pictures of my tank up :cry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users