Aqua Nova Canister Filter Leaking

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Jen

Jen
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

Hi all

i have a working in order aqua nova canister filter, at work now dont know my model number) but recently it been leaking on the lid...where the four clips and where the power cable extend out from the filter motor.

I have changed the outter rubber where the lid is...but still leaking CRAZY!!!

I dont know what to do?!?!? what is wrong with the filter....nothing seem to be broken

regards
jennie

#2 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

Hi Jen

I don't know too much about these filters but this may be use to you in the meantime - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=18515

Daz

#3 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

Some things I have done to fix leaking canisters:

1. check the canister area where the head attaches for small cracks
2. remove the rubber O-ring, clean under running water to remove small particles, then coat generously in vaseline and put it back
3. some canisters have a flowback into the head unit from the taps, so when they leak the water flows into the head and can then leak from there. Make sure the O-rings of the taps are coated with vaseline as well and not leaking.

#4 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

If its leaking out near the power cable then its probably the primer o-ring.....A relatively easy fix, just a bit time consuming. This will involve taking out the primer plunger and replacing the o-ring around the circumference. If you were in Perth I could help a bit more....

Also check the tap o-rings and make sure they have not perished.

Try calling your Local Fish shops around your area that stock aqua nova (or any filter with a priming button) and they should be able to help service the canister for you.

EDIT: Just read Dazzas link and that's more than likely the issue. They are great filters! But like all filters with o-rings they need to be serviced and lubricated regularly.....regardless of make or model.

#5 Jen

Jen
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:10 PM

hi all for your kind reply

i just open my canister (Aqua Nover 1500), lead to look for the O-ring your mentioning in the primer....i cant seem to find out inside.....

i'm so confused...still on what to do.

#6 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

Where you say "opened" do you mean just unclipping the head so you have access to the media etc? From that link I posted earlier the way I read it is the filter head (motor) needs to be pulled apart by removing the screws?? (I think)

Daz

#7 Jen

Jen
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

Hi all

i have attached some photos so you can see what i am talking about

regards

Jennie

hi i have attached another photo....not sure if that is the O-ring you guys are talking about

regards
Jennie

Attached Files

#8 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

Hey Jen

From that thread I linked earlier "If you get a screw driver and remover the Aqua nova plate, You will see 4 screws on the plunger. unscrew the screws and the whole handle will pop out with a spring."

The way I read is the round disc labelled Aqua Nova needs to be removed. Levering with a flathead screwdriver between the light silver colour and dark grey edge perhaps?

#9 Jen

Jen
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

not sure if the labelled aqua nova can be removed..

i go check now

#10 Jen

Jen
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

i cant seem to open or take the aqua nova (label) cap off....

there is no screws.....i've tried pulling it by forced and even got my finger stuck....

is it possible to open that????

if you can see the photos i have attached....i have already unscrew the four screws and its pretty simple inside...i cant seem to see the O-ring

#11 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

The cap with the aqua nova logo on top of the primer does come off.....You will need to pry a flathead screwdriver around the perimeter of the cap to pop it off.

#12 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

IF you cannot find a way to open up the plunger, then best you go back to where you bought the unit from, or otherwise, to a LFS that deals in this brand to get them to fix it....
If you wish to continue to try by yourself, then look closely at the silver cover plate with the A/Nova name on it... there are two small slots on the top and bottom of the plate where you can stick a very small flat head screw driver into, to leaver it off. You will find 3 or 4 small Phillips screws under it that you have to unscrew.... you can then push the whole remaining plunger down, popping it out and exposing the O-ring.... problem now is to source a new O-ring and trying to get it back into place without pinching the O-ring on the way back in... another reason to get it to a place where they have done this before....

My strong advice is to find a LFS that you can trust.... let me know what suburb you are in, and I can recommend a LFS local to you that might be able to help.... I have lived there before, and know a few good people to deal with.... otherwise, I can contact the importer and ask for their guidance on your behalf.

Cheers,
Oliver

#13 Jen

Jen
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:41 AM

Hi All,

Thank for the reply. Woke up this morning and checked the canister again...YAY..I finally open up the aqua nova lid....

But the down side is...i still cant find that O-RING you guys are talking about.

Is it completely worn out so i cant find it anymore???? where does it even sit??

another questions is where can i purchase this O-RING

I'm in sydney - near blacktown.

thanks guys for all you help. I have taken some photo of the open aqua nova lid.....

regards

Jen

Attached Files

#14 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

In pic 4 it looks like you have 2 black o-rings around the outer edge of the plunger?

#15 Jen

Jen
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

really!! how come when i open it up....i dont see no ring inside???

thats strange....

so where can i get an O-ring for the filter?

regards
Jen

#16 Jen

Jen
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:30 PM

hi all,

is this what i need???

http://cgi.ebay.com....=item1c0885a72c

#17 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

Actually what I thought were o-rings might just be shadows.... blush.gif (see pic)

The plunger must have to come out still???

Attached Files

#18 Jen

Jen
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

yes it is just shadows.

there is no rubber thing to be found when i open the lid.

So i am very LOST on what is the O-RING still

#19 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

Still one more step to go -
QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Feb 3 2010, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...you can then push the whole remaining plunger down, popping it out and exposing the O-ring....

This is seperate to the grey lid you removed.

#20 Jen

Jen
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

this morning, i tried to pull the pluger out...(as refer to photo number 4)

It seem to be stuck...impossible to pull out....with all the force i have....

not sure if it does come out...thought i might get some advice before i break the cansiter

ok so to clarify the next step...

from the edit photo number 4..

i need to push it down...and i will see the O-ring???

if that is the case i need to try it when i get home tonight after work...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users