Photo

Which Siamese Flying Fox is Which?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:36 PM

It is a question that always crops up every now and then and is hard to describe, so I though it might be useful to put it all up in one hit.

Common names are hard to use, everyone gets them wrong somewhere along the line, so it is best to arm yourself with your own knowledge before you buy one to make sure you are buying the right fish.
For the sake of identification, I have used the up to date Scientific names:

Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus - Red fins, gold line above the black AKA - Indo Flying Fox

Crossocheilus oblongus - yellow fins, rounded nose AKA - Flying Fox

Crossocheilus siamensis - clear fins, pointed nose AKA - Siamese Flying Fox or SAE

This last one is the one that most people want for algae control.

Hope this helps

Oliver

#2 Dalton

Dalton
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hey Oliver biggrin.gif

Out of interest, are the Crossocheilus oblongus a rarer type? And if possibly, how much do they usually sell for?

Thanks.

#3 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

It was more common several years ago, cheaper than the Siamese type, but now it is no longer sought after, (over the Siamese).
You will still find it every now and then, just have to look around.

#4 Dalton

Dalton
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

Cheers mate biggrin.gif

#5 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:12 AM

I have a few siamese flying fox and the flying fox in my planted tank, their of decent size too. How much do these little buggers normally sell for?

#6 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

Depends.... probably retail about $5-$8 if they are good looking, yet young specimens... really depends on how they look, their age and the shop involved, whether they have the clientèle that would be interested in these fish at that size.

#7 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Apr 23 2008, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends.... probably retail about $5-$8 if they are good looking, yet young specimens... really depends on how they look, their age and the shop involved, whether they have the clientèle that would be interested in these fish at that size.

Cheers olly, at that price i might aswell hold onto them. not interested in selling them, but also not very interested in the fish so i wouldn't suprise myself if i handed them over to one of the sponsors. Their a very timid fish i've found and although i have about 5 of these, they really arn't a very active fish at the best of times

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users