Pond Ideas

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lojik

lojik
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:45 PM

Hi,

I'd like to put together a pond in our courtyard, due to the layout the best spot is in the corner up against the retaining walls / fence line for the two adjacent properties. Digging up against this wall would be a bad idea, so above ground is the way to go.

The space is available around 2mx1m which is an unused garden bed. The idea is to build up a box frame using appropriate timber, using threaded rod to tie it together. I'd likely line the inner walls with an insulating foam of some sort, and use sand to level the base and drop in a flexible liner. Similar to the following: http://www.monsterfi...ad.php?t=139754

I'm looking at making it around 75cm deep at max. giving me around 1000L give or take

My main questions at the moment are:

1. What width timber would be a minimum to support the water weight? What sort of timber should I be using. Would treated pine be suitable considering it won't be in contact with the water?

2. Filtration, I'd prefer a low cost or DIY solution. What sort of turnover is recommended for ponds? Can I do it all with one pump?

3. Stocking, I'd like to have natives, frog friendly, mozzie eating sort of thing. I believe some rainbows can be kept outside all year round? Pygmy Perch? What are other recommendations?

Sorry for the length, just hoping to get some more ideas/advice before I go out and start spending.

Cheers

#2 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:55 PM

Sounds like a neat project mate. As far as options for the wood goes I did see a pond at the aquaculture display at the royal show that had used 200 x 70mm treated pine sleeps to make up a septagonal pond where each side was around 2m long the overall height would have been around 40cm. This was just on a concrete floor with a pond lining. You could probably do some thing with sleeps around 150 x 80mm and it should be strong enough to hold the weight.

#3 BIG-PETE

BIG-PETE
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

heres another idea
get a small fibre glass dingy you can them cheap and are a real conversation piece
heres a few pics of mine so ya get what im talking about

i got the old out board as a bit of an added feature one day it will have the filter in it

#4 lojik

lojik
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:46 PM

thanks highlucks, would have been interesting to see, I heard they had a pretty decent aquaponics display setup this year.
haha, certainly an interesting pond there BIG-PETE. Fishing rod is a nice touch tongue.gif

Though I'm pretty sold on the timber box, due to its efficient use of space, unfortunately I haven't got the biggest area to play with really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users