Photo

Sicce Space Eko+ 300 Canister Review : A Quick Look At A New Filter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:49 PM

While I was down at Vebas the other day they happened to be unloading a container, so being who I am, I got in their way and rifled about for any new stuff.

Sicce is making another range of canister filters, and I snagged one off the pallet and took a look.

IMG_0745_zps748a2c50.jpg

The Space EKO 300.  As you can see, they have moved away from the square footprint on these in favour of cylinders

IMG_0748_zpsf6a6281a.jpg

A side by side comparison with an Eheim 2215 leaves little doubt which product this is competing with.. The sizes and specs closely approximate the 2215 on down.

IMG_0793-crop_zps45eb7a9a.jpg
 A conversation between daleks

The media  volume looks to be very much the same. 14W for the Sicce vs 15W for the Eheim;. The Sicce claims 900l/h, while Eheim says theirs filters 620l/h. Certainly the baskets in the Sicce might improve the flow, but who knows about the accuracy of manufacturer reported flow rates? Certainly either is adequate.

IMG_0823-crop_zps2ef074f2.jpg

The Space EKO 300 has a few appointments that are not found in the Eheim 2215. It has locking media baskets. These make servicing a canister a whole lot easier, and in my opinion improve flow.
 IMG_0809-crop_zpscd261844.jpg

It has a neat hose detach at the canister. Again saving on mess and fuss.

IMG_0798_zpsc3293c2d.jpg

IMG_0800_zps2f037b00.jpg

The clips too are superior. I like Eheim, but those crappy steel clips their classics use are always coming off or getting lost. This is what they should be.

IMG_0802_zps46e4c95c.jpg

IMG_0806-crop_zpsfaa1ee65.jpg

IMG_0763_zps01cb26ac.jpg

IMG_0805_zpscdf8eb90.jpg

The media that comes with the Sicce is a bit of a disappointment.  They stick in some noodles, coarse and fine sponge and and a fine wool pad. All perfectly good stuff, but there is simply not enough. Much the same as the Sicce Whales, they have skimped a bit here. If you are going to take all that trouble to make a nice canister, it simply doesn't make sense to be so economical with the media . The noodle basket is only about a quarter full, and the carbon and sponge basket still has a lot of empty space. This sort of thing is the province of lesser and cheaper brands, and it lowers the tone.

IMG_0812_zps16e3ed2e.jpg

IMG_0817_zpsd044f9db.jpg'

IMG_0815_zpsf00b477d.jpg

It's easy enough to fix this  by throwing in some Matrix/expanded clay/ Substrat/Sicce media, but the point is you shouldn't have to. It should all be there. Who wants to get the thing home, set it up, then head back to the LFS for more media because it didn't come with enough? Also, I am not a big believer in carbon in a canister. It's a disposable media that requires replacing often and I'd rather not be cracking the filter that often. Mediawise, Eheim has it over Sicce in spades

On to happier subjects. It comes with the Sicce intake/outlet kit. This has a flow control knob on the intake and a primer built into the outlet.  It is supplied with a generous amount of hose : 3 metres of smoky grey 16/22mm hose should be enough for any tank this is likely to go on.

IMG_0786-crop_zps1e322290.jpg

IMG_0792-crop_zpsd9e30d18.jpg

Here Pacco displays the more than adequate hose that serves him and Sicce so well...

IMG_0765_zps32ac1e42.jpg

They include a 250ml bottle of Sicce dechlorinator and the instruction book.

IMG_0769_zps984da543.jpg

It's substantially cheaper than the comparable Eheims and also cheaper than the Sicce whales.

It comes in three sizes:

The 300, filtering 900l/h for 14W of power which they recommend for aquariums up to 300l

The 200, filtering 700l/h for an extremely low 6W of power, for aquariums up to 200l

The 100 filtering 550l/h for 5W of power, which as you might have guessed is for aquariums up to 100l

It's made in Italy and has a 3 year guarantee. To cover a product for over 1000 days of operation, you'd have to be pretty confident in it.

Pro:                                                    Con:

Competitive price                               Not enough filter media included!

Removable hose/tap                          I can't seem to make the intake primer actually work...

Primer on intake

Media baskets

Low power consumption

Quality build

3 year guarantee

There are now a couple of these in the pile of PCS Sponsor goods, so watch out for your chance to snag one in the upcoming year's raffles :)

#2 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:13 PM

Nice write up ill let you all know how it goes after I win the raffle ;)

#3 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:51 AM

Looks like the 200 model is the one to get, two of them way out performs one of the 300 models on wattage, flow and one would expect media. So everybody get on down to Vebas and grab 2 200's. You know you want to.

#4 Frontosaman

Frontosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

These are the most underrated brand of filters!!! Invest in them people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 aussiemcgee

aussiemcgee
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:49 PM

nice review mate

#6 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

any idea on costings  please??

#7 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

Here Pacco displays the more than adequate hose that serves him and Sicce so well...

Ah Klienz, you should have been a comedian. Your wit is somewhat underappreciated on this forum

#8 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users