Marine Aquarium 101
This month's meeting is all about keeping a Marine Aquarium. Come along and hear a great talk from Chris Graham, President of MASWA, about starting, maintaining and keeping a marine aquarium at home. Chris will discuss everything you need to know to get into the wonderful world keeping marine aquariums with coral, fish and other fascinating sea creatures.
Topics will include an overview on marine sumps, refugiums and protein skimmers and how they can be set up to benefit your tank. What substrate and clean-up crews to use and why they are important. Structuring your aquarium and the importance of a good lay-out for reefs and fish. Different coral types and how to keep them and how to create frags and what to look for. What fish suit your aquarium as a beginner or a more advanced marine aquarium keeper. What water parameters do you require and how to measure and maintain them with additives. Everything you need to know to get involved in Marine Aquariums!
The next meeting of the Perth Cichlid Society will be on Tuesday, December 5th. The meeting will be held at our new venue Atwell College, 201 Brenchley Drive, Atwell 6164. We will be opening doors at 7:30pm and starting at 8:00pm. Please park your cars in the car park marked, do not enter the school gates.
· This month will be an exciting talk from Chris Graham, President of MASWA, all about Marine Aquarium 101. This will be a talk not to miss and will commence at 8:00pm. Chris will cover the basics of starting and keeping a marine aquarium and a general overview of the basic aspects involved. If you love sea-life or have ever thought about starting your own marine aquarium this talk is for you.
· We will have another Fish of the Month. This month's FoTM is Neolamprologus brevis "Molwe" Sunspot kindly donated by PCS Member - Brett (Poncho). We will have a bag of 4 fish to discuss and auction off, with proceeds to Stuart Grant Fund for Cichlid Preservation. Learn about the fish and then take some home.
· Grab some raffle tickets for our Sponsor prize table full of awesome aquarium hobby items. There will even be some marine aquarium items up for grabs. Heaps of aquarium related prizes to win!! Don't forget 20% of raffle goes towards the Cichlid Preservation Fund.
· Why not enter our December PCS Showtable competition. Bring a cichlid or catfish down to the meeting and you could win sponsor prizes or vouchers. **Small tanks are available at the venue if you PM organiser Ash 'Ashram' on our forums at least a day before you come down. Feel free to bring you own tank and air, but no other items are permitted in tank for judging.
· The PCS Library will be open where you can borrow books, magazines and DVDs of all kinds of cichlid topics. See Craig (Delapool) on the night to borrow items.
· In the PCS Kitchen we will have some awesome bruschetta for you to buy. There will be 2 types to choose from created by the Italian maestro - Mattia. One with tomato, basil, garlic and olive oil and one with beans, tuna, olive oil and parsley. We will also have hot and cold drinks and snacks for you to buy. Don't forget 20% of kitchen purchases goes towards the Cichlid Preservation Fund.
Please note -
You can pay cash or we can accept MasterCard, VISA Debit, VISA Credit and PayPal.
General public are welcome to attend, so please bring your friends along.
The doors will open just on 7:30pm to start setting up. Talks will start at 8:00pm.
All are welcome. Hope to see you there Tuesday, December 5th.
Doors open 7:30pm. Meeting starts 8:00pm at Atwell College, 201 Brenchley Drive, Atwell 6164.