Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

What to do when your Tankbusters get too big!

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:38 AM

eat it

#2 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:49 AM

No disrespect Alex but seeing that turned my stomach. I could never eat a fish that I have spent so much time nurturing. To me, and only my opinion, it somewhat devalues everything I would have done.

#3 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:59 AM

yea i kinda agree with madasa :roll:

#4 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:01 AM

Most aquarium medications warn: Not to be used for fish intended for human consumption. Even if you have not used medications the previous owner may have, with your experiance Alex I can only assume that this post was a joke.
DO NOT EAT AQUARIUM RAISED FISH

Terry

#5 keleherr

keleherr
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:18 AM

madasa he only ate it coz it jumped out of the tank and it was dead when he found it

#6 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:55 AM

How could you do such a horrible thing? - what I mean is - eat fish without lemon?

Personally I would have filleted it.

Anyway Bon Appétit I say, TSN is reported as being top eating in SA.

The other thing you needed to consider is wether any feeder fishes you may have fed it were being medicated? But then again I dont think it would be any big deal as long as you didnt eat mediacated fish on regular basis, then again I'm no expert on the matter.

#7 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:38 AM

(keleherr)
madasa he only ate it coz it jumped out of the tank and it was dead when he found it

I know - i just couldnt do it. To me it would be a little like eating any pet following accidental death.

Just me - not judging.

#8 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:35 AM

Oh yeah and Peckoltia I'm glad it was your fish and not your dog or cat that died, as that would not have looked so good on a plate biggrin.gif

#9 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

(Terry)
Most aquarium medications warn: Not to be used for fish intended for human consumption. Even if you have not used medications the previous owner may have, with your experiance Alex I can only assume that this post was a joke.
DO NOT EAT AQUARIUM RAISED FISH

Terry

I got this fish at 3" never medicated it once. Yes I am aware that this fish may have been medicated in the past. But to tell you the truth I don't really care. It tasted great and I'm still kicking! I am well aware of the dangers in eating fish that have been medicated, espeically ones medicated with copper based meds. At the end of the day, I don't think eating a one off fish that may or may not have been medicated as a tiny juvenile is going to have any sort of traceable affect on my health.

I remember visiting Norms shop about 2 years ago, he had assorted tank buster fillets in his freezer. I don't finish my degree for a few years yet, so the Amazon is still a bit too far away.

No disrespect Alex but seeing that turned my stomach. I could never eat a fish that I have spent so much time nurturing. To me, and only my opinion, it somewhat devalues everything I would have done.

Fair enough you are entitled to your opinion. I spent countless dollars raising this fish etc etc. I figured I may as well see what it tastes like? :wink:

#10 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:04 PM

We are all individuals with individual opinions which makes us unique.

Im sure it tasted lovely Alex but, nah, not for me.

#11 nomis

nomis
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

looks good how did it taste i have a large peacock bass in the freezer they are supposed to be good eating all so did the tsn taste fresh or did it have a muddy taste to it

#12 studzy6

studzy6
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

(Den)
Oh yeah and Peckoltia I'm glad it was your fish and not your dog or cat that died, as that would not have looked so good on a plate biggrin.gif

lol.

#13 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:09 AM

Heaps of peeps on MFK eat their fish.
In the US they sell Tinfoil barbs at the local market.

I dont see the difference in eating one of your own & eating one out of the sea..Personaaly I wouldnt eat a pet myself, but each to their own..

What did it taste like?

#14 Mintox

Mintox
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:32 AM

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer eats his pet crayfish after he gives it a warm bath.

I don't think I could eat a pet after it died, each to there own i guess.

#15 Keddy

Keddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:39 AM

hello all
I as i dont have any tank busters I am not sure what a TSN is????????
Just curious
keddy

#16 Warp

Warp
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:56 PM

I'm sure that was probably the most expensive piece of fish you have eaten hehe or maybe not?.. I dare say it probably had a fair amount of fat content not actually being able to swim too far and getting regular high protien/fat food. Brings to mind the taste difference between a wild caught barra and one that is raised on a farm.. Farm raised always seem to be taste more muddier I recon like fat n lazy lagoon bara... Love to get a few mangrove jack into the tank for eating purposes tho..

#17 Warp

Warp
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:07 PM

TSN = Tiger Shovelnose Catfish I think.

#18 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:04 PM

The TSN was the most delicate fish meat I have ever eaten, absolutely delicious (no joke).

Their was actaully almost no fat at all. All muscle.

#19 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:25 PM

god damn,

reminds me of hannibal lector... didnt think i would ever see someone post pics in that manner on a forum like this...

"I dont see the difference in eating one of your own & eating one out of the sea.. "

are you serious?

im def on the other side of the fence on this one... man... i feel sick... :oops:

e.M

#20 SynoAngel

SynoAngel
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:36 PM

Hi Alex,

I must admit that i'm fairly disgusted that you even considered eating it. Having had a descent assortment of pets, I can say that I have never eaten any of them (Chickens, Dog, Bird and Fish) and nore would have I considered it. I know in other cultures it occurs, but I would never do it.

I just hope in my next life that I'm not a TSN (or any other edible fish) in some ones tank who considers their pets edible.

Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users