Rainbow Fish - Shoaling

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hi Guys,

Will Rainbow fish of different kinds still shoal together? Or do you have to get them the same?

Cheers

#2 Malaga Aquariums

Malaga Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

They all tend to hang together but I notice that most of the interactions are with there own.Remember though a locality vartiant is only that you might have 1 species and 6 localities(not recomended if you plan to breed them).The incisus males display and confront each other and the same with the lacustris they ignore the other rainbows in the tank thats not to say they wont crossbreed.I kept rainbows(1 type) in a 5000ltr pond and they definately schooled as they had the room to get away from each other but chose to swim around in either 1 or 2 groups.I think most tanks are not big enough to see true schooling behaviour.

#3 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

what will be the best schooling fish for a 330L tank?

Would you recommend only getting one variant?

I want to keep it native, but am willing to get others if necessary.

Cheers for the help btw

#4 Arcturus

Arcturus

ANGFA President

• Forum Member

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

Kev's right about the schooling behaviour...it's only truly evident in large tanks or ponds. They don't school as tightly as tetras, but form loose groups that move together.

A school of 20+ rainbows patrolling the shallows of a pond, or a large aquarium, is quite a sight

what will be the best schooling fish for a 330L tank?

Personal preference. Praecox/threadfins are nice but dont well with bigger rainbows.

Have a read through here

http://rainbowfish.a....au/Werneri.htm

A lot of the species aren't available in Australia, but you should be able to pick out of few ideas.

Would you recommend only getting one variant?

Again, personal preference. Most people keep a mixed rainbow tank, but there's a lot to be said for dedicated species tanks.

Whatever you do, if you're mixing rainbowfish make sure you can tell them apart when they're together. Especially hard with females sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users