Photo

Fish From Lfs

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Graeme76

Graeme76
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

I'm wondering if I'm the only person that consistently has problems with fish from -----. Doesn't matter if they are community species, rift lake cichlids or american cichlids, I always wind up with fish that develop fatal problems soon after being brought home. I bought 5 Duboulyai Rainbows 2 died for no apparent reason, 6 Chequered Rainbows 2 died again for no apparent reason. Bought 5 Maingano last week & one developed a severe fungal infection within 48hrs & died. I've just found a second Maingano that appeared healthy when I purchased it but not I've just found a large tumor like growth between it's pectoral fins & it is clearly on it's way to death. Bought 4 Electric Yellow & one of them soon developed a severely sunken stomach, despite appearing to eat well & has just dies this morning. This pattern has stayed consistent for over 3yrs that I've been getting fish there. I buy 5 fish & I can garuntee that at least two will die within a week of purchase.

Water quality is nothing short of excellent 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0-5 nitrates in both tanks. PH 8.2 (mbuna tank) (PH7.6 Geo Tank), KH 6, GH 10 Temp 25.5c for both tanks. Water is heated in a preparation tub & co2 allowed to gas off so that the PH is up to 8.2 before being added to the mbuna tank. Tannins from lots of wood keep the PH down in the Geo tank which has the water added straight after preheating. Water changes are 25% twice per week & I use no chemical buffers or additives of any kind, just API dechlorinator. I very rarely have problems with fish from anywhere else & if I do the problems have never been fatal.

So is it just me or do others have similar problems with fish from -----.

#2 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

pm me the shop please.

#3 YIN93

YIN93
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

PM me as well please. I live up north aalsol so it will be good to know.

#4 alex101

alex101
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:56 PM

pm me the shop please

#5 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

that store you just named IS one of the sponsors wink.gif and also bear in mind they are doing YOU a favour by taking unwanted fish off your hands. it kinda sux that a pack of smokes costs more from the 24 hour servo, but hey i still buy them there. i *could* go buy them at the supermarket, and you *could* sell your fish in the classifieds. i guess were both just too lazy, and unfortunately convenience comes with a pricetag wink.gif

#6 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

One would need to ask whether as it is not mentioned you had approached the store in question and advised them of the apparent issues that has been going on for 3 years.

#7 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:43 PM

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Lisa electrifies the muffin and Bart keeps trying to grab it...

#8 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

i find it rediculass about not alowing to name the business involved as it does not let the people conserned know about the issue
1. they could try and rectifi it
2.they may not be aware of the issue and have no knowledge of it
3.it let the community know what is going on

On a nother note why do you go back there if you believe that the fish are dying as a course of they actions or cleaning habbits arfter a few deaths i would look some were else

we all must have posted at the same time lol

#9 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

Its a completly diffrent topic, but if they were serisous about "letting the people concered know about the issue" they should talk to the buisness in question directly (not that i even know what buisness they are talking about)
The simple truth is that it is way to risky legally to leave negative comment standing, you will find dozens of cases in the media in the last couple of months were not only the actually poster has been sued, but also the forum and the ISP provider.

since 2006 australia wide has had identical defamation laws, All that a plaintiff must establish is that the publication/comment had a defamatory imputation, "Publication", or more simply "communication", of material that is likely to cause ordinary, reasonable persons to think less of, or shun or avoid a person defames that person.

#10 drukqs2369

drukqs2369
  • Banned

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

i find if u go there and let em know what's happening they can be quite reasonable because they know their reputation is on the line they will help you out. i had a few fish die once but they sorted me out with some cheap replacements and all i did was let them know it happened. i was quite happy.

#11 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:27 PM

i disagree mate being a piblic forum its public information and its only defamatory if its not true and the person starting the original comment is holding back the truth i am a mod of australias biggest cars forums and becaus of the chineses market you can imagine the shit fights we get there however the point is i havent herd of any law suits being connected to loss of business that have been connected to a public forum.

If the facts are stated and they are true well whats is the problem its the only way to keep them honest in my view

#12 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:33 PM

there are literally dozens of diffrent cases were this has happened, google it!
or heres one to start you off with, Graeme Gladman V security company Datamotion Asia Pacific when graeme Gladman was required to pay $30,000 in damages for making defamatory comments against the firm on an internet forum.

#13 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:40 PM

It's a simple rule we have that exists to protect the club. It's easy enough for anyone who wants to find out the name to contact the OP and get the name, so it's really not a big deal and nothing is held back. We have been through this issue many times and have had cases where businesses were named before the mods could edit the post, only to find out later that there was a misunderstanding between the person and the business in question.

We encourage anyone who has a problem to contact the manager of the shop to try and sort things out. If, for whatever reason, the problem cannot be sorted, there are options you can take, including simply going to another shop. We are lucky that we have such a great number of quality stores throughout Perth.

#14 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:59 PM

ZAP... ouch.... ZAP... ouch... ZAP... ouch

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me
Fool me constantly for 3 years....

I could go on, but I wont.

#15 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:05 PM

Lol just add every LFS name to the keyword blacklist?

#16 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (Cawdor @ Nov 13 2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a simple rule we have that exists to protect the club. It's easy enough for anyone who wants to find out the name to contact the OP and get the name, so it's really not a big deal and nothing is held back. We have been through this issue many times and have had cases where businesses were named before the mods could edit the post, only to find out later that there was a misunderstanding between the person and the business in question.

We encourage anyone who has a problem to contact the manager of the shop to try and sort things out. If, for whatever reason, the problem cannot be sorted, there are options you can take, including simply going to another shop. We are lucky that we have such a great number of quality stores throughout Perth.

Yes i agree in part with this statment

#17 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

forums can only exacerbate the problem. i agree with cawdor, best to speak directly with the lfs in question.
i'm sure they would prefer it that way but well come to the 21st century.

#18 Graeme76

Graeme76
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

I'll clear a couple of things up here.

Yes the owner of the store in question has been approached about the problems. At first they came to the conclusion that my water quality must be to blame but after carrying out thier own tests on a sample, they described my water as "pristine" & ruled that out. After several very long discussions on each occasion, no solution has been reached & no replacements or reimbursments have been offered (or asked for).

The second thing I'll clear up is that I'm not some complete idiot that has been getting fish after fish from the same place despite them all dying on me. I have bought fish from the store in question on about 5 occasions in the last 3yrs & experienced the same set of problems each time. That's not exactly what I would call just going back time & again for more of the same. I have bought from other stores many more times over that same 3yr period than I have from the store in question. I have bought from a store in _______ on at least 20 seperate occasions over that same period & that is only one of the stores I visit regularly. I have not experienced the same problems with fish from any other store, only this one shop in particular.

The last thing I will clear up is that I'm not trying to defame or discredit any person or business in any way. I was trying to find out if other people have had the same experience as I have with this particular store. I've had a few PM's confirming that others have had the same experience so my question has been answered. I'll reply to the few messages I have waiting for me now but after that I'm not going to answer questions aout the store as there is no need to now that I have teh answer I was looking for.

Thank you all for your interest & input into this subject.

#19 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:12 PM

Ok, my 5 cents... biggrin.gif

From what Graeme has written, one would assume he takes care of his fish; making sure PH (water quality) is good, making sure top up water matches the tank water etc.
There's a saying: Make sure the water quality is right, and the fish will take care of themselves (or along those lines).

If I was in Graeme's shoes regarding buying fish from the shop a few times, and having those newly bought fish die on me, I too would be questioning the shop's stock..

I think the right thing to do here is have Graeme PM the committee (if the committee doesnt know who the LFS is), the committee should then contact the LFS to see/hear their side of the story, and then the committee post up what the LFS said (and not name them if they don't want to be named). That method might clear up any misunderstandings (if any...)

Ok, back to my Southern and Coke. tongue.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#20 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:18 PM

Tranced
Smoking is not good for you, with all the advertising warning about the dangers of smoking I cannot understand why young people start.

Cheers Ex smoker

Sorry to go off topic but it is important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users