Photo

My First Discus Fry!!!! :)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LC60

LC60
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

My discus have been acting very friendly lately, cleaning the cone for during the last couple of day, and then this afternoon the female started making some preliminary passes and the male was obviously interested and then.......

.....This is happening right now, I am thrilled as this is my first experience with discus, I know that raising fry etc presents a whole new set of problems, but regardless of whether or not the eggs get eaten or any fry survive, I'm just thrilled to have got to this point.

Cheers
Laz smile.gif

#2 Matt_1

Matt_1
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

Congratulations mate! Good luck!

#3 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

sounds like some one is a proud new pappy. Good luck with the spawn mate.

#4 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

Congrats Laz. They look like some really nice Discus biggrin.gif

#5 LC60

LC60
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (Managuense @ Apr 29 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats Laz. They look like some really nice Discus biggrin.gif

Thanks guys, yes I am very happy.

Cheers
Larry

#6 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

Voyeur, but excellent result. Nice parents should be great little batch.

#7 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

Sweet as Laz!! I been hangin out to see these guys get there jiggy on since I imported them for u mate. Congrats! Will have to come for a visit on w/e.

#8 Happyfish

Happyfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

First of all congratulation Mate
it seems males fertilised on egg and looks good on the picture.
Don't feed pair (if you can't resist then just little tiny bit of granule that they will eat up )
if you need any advise feel free to ask me (I'm not an expert but might be helpful).
Cheers.

#9 GaryA

GaryA
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

How are the youngsters going? I think they should be hatching now. Our experience goes like this the pair have had about 6 attempts at laying eggs and the last 3 attempts have youngsters and then the Fem eats them ... If you have discus I think you also have to have a big wallet as well for extra breeding and holding Aquariums etc.. I have just completed a cycle in our new breeding tanks and any day now will transfer them to the proper breeding tanks and see if they will mate again. I was lead to beleive a 300mm tank was Ideal for them to breed in them but they have not even looked interested to breed there.

#10 LC60

LC60
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (Happyfish @ Apr 30 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First of all congratulation Mate
it seems males fertilised on egg and looks good on the picture.
Don't feed pair (if you can't resist then just little tiny bit of granule that they will eat up )
if you need any advise feel free to ask me (I'm not an expert but might be helpful).
Cheers.

Hi Luke,

Sorry I've taken so long to respond to you here. Thanks for the offer of help smile.gif , I'd like to take you up on that, I want to catch up with the German too, does he still drink beer biggrin.gif .

Cheers
Larry

#11 LC60

LC60
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE (GaryA @ May 3 2009, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How are the youngsters going? I think they should be hatching now. Our experience goes like this the pair have had about 6 attempts at laying eggs and the last 3 attempts have youngsters and then the Fem eats them ... If you have discus I think you also have to have a big wallet as well for extra breeding and holding Aquariums etc.. I have just completed a cycle in our new breeding tanks and any day now will transfer them to the proper breeding tanks and see if they will mate again. I was lead to beleive a 300mm tank was Ideal for them to breed in them but they have not even looked interested to breed there.

Hi Gary,

The eggs were eaten on the second day of the first spawn, they have been spawning just about weekly since then, but only laying 15 to 30 eggs for the first 3 spawns, each lot eaten within 2 days. They spawned again last night however and this time it's a much bigger spawn, so I have my fingers crossed hoping for success smile.gif , but I'm patient as well, so if they get eaten again, then I'll have the next time to look forward to anyway. Last night, I just sat and watched them spawning for about an hour, the colours were just amazing.

Cheers
Larry

#12 LC60

LC60
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hey guys,

I have baby discus!!! I' not game to take a pic but I watched the fry hatching out from about 3 hours ago, the parents took turns, one facing the eggs on the cone and gently fanning forwards onto the hatching fry with the pectoral fins. This behaviour looked to be for the purpose of gently assisting the fry from the shells with the slight current caused by the fanning of the pectorals. I wonder if the first 3 small failed spawns could have been a case of the parents testing out different positions on the cone in the tank relative to current flow and temperature for example, testing for the best location conducive to the development of the eggs to fry etc.?

Anyway, i would greatly appreciate any tips or advice on where to go from here. For example:

Luke or anyone else who can help,

Thanks for your tip not to be tempted to feed them, I have followed that. When should Istart feeding the parents?

Cheers
Larry

#13 dom

dom
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

good on you laz keep up the good work ,your an insparation to many of us on here ,believe me if it wasnt for you i would have got out of this game a long time ago...

#14 Happyfish

Happyfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (LC60 @ May 22 2009, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys,

I have baby discus!!! I' not game to take a pic but I watched the fry hatching out from about 3 hours ago, the parents took turns, one facing the eggs on the cone and gently fanning forwards onto the hatching fry with the pectoral fins. This behaviour looked to be for the purpose of gently assisting the fry from the shells with the slight current caused by the fanning of the pectorals. I wonder if the first 3 small failed spawns could have been a case of the parents testing out different positions on the cone in the tank relative to current flow and temperature for example, testing for the best location conducive to the development of the eggs to fry etc.?

Anyway, i would greatly appreciate any tips or advice on where to go from here. For example:

Luke or anyone else who can help,

Thanks for your tip not to be tempted to feed them, I have followed that. When should Istart feeding the parents?

Cheers
Larry

Hi Larry

It seems to me they are good parent. those fanning behaviour is simply preventing egg or fry are not getting mouldy ( i assumed that all egg isn't hatched and some bad egg still be there with fry that eventually parent will clean the bad egg.)
Normally at this point some parent move fry to another location on the cone or else where if not they keep fanning the fry and bad egg.

I recommend that turn the light on all time 24 hours. when they consumed the egg sack (normally take 3 days) and starting to free swim.
then you must carefully watch fry find the parent ( normally parent look for fry and signal them like little shaking.
if they attach to parent's body it's all good then you now are starting to prepare the newly hatched brine shrimp.

Foodwise i feed small bit of granule for parent.
fry, i mix artermia egg, sera spriluna, liquid fry starter, garil liqid, fish vitimine when i give newly hatched brine shrimp. probably first time , fry would take the mixed food only live brine shrimp but eventually they will take mixed food. as long as they take the mixed food you don't have to hatched the brine shrimp. Also you will notice that parent might encorage fry to eat their food (they spit for the fry) . anyway, after few weeks they will take pick parent food as well.

i hope that it helps you a bit.
P.S: Do you have any extra adult male i think that all mine are female but not for sure.

cheers.

#15 LC60

LC60
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE (Happyfish @ May 25 2009, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Larry
It seems to me they are good parent. those fanning behaviour is simply preventing egg or fry are not getting mouldy .............................. anyway, after few weeks they will take pick parent food as well.
i hope that it helps you a bit.
P.S: Do you have any extra adult male i think that all mine are female but not for sure.
cheers.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for that excellent information, you have been a great help to me. I have seen some of the behaviours you have mentioned, and am waiting anxiously for them to attach to the parents body to feed. It looks like there are 8 fry left, maybe not the biggest yield, but if Iend up with 2 fry surviving from this time I'll be happy. smile.gif

Cheers
Larry

#16 Happyfish

Happyfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

if less than 20 fry most likely parent might eat them but see what happen. i'm sure that it will be better next spawn. ( not too strong current recommended otherwise it doesn't fertilise.

before post i forgot to mention Tapajo male do you have any extra?? ( Question: for visual only you can sex them by finage and colour??)

#17 LC60

LC60
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (Happyfish @ May 26 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if less than 20 fry most likely parent might eat them but see what happen. i'm sure that it will be better next spawn. ( not too strong current recommended otherwise it doesn't fertilise.

before post i forgot to mention Tapajo male do you have any extra?? ( Question: for visual only you can sex them by finage and colour??)

Hi Luke,

You were right, no fry this time, thats ok, I've got some fine tuning to do smile.gif . I don't have any spare male discus or Orange//Red head males atm, but will keep you in mind if something comes up. With regard to sexing Orange/Red heads, like discus the only way to be sure is when the breeding tubes are showing. I have females that are just as colourful as any males. Also if you have no males the females will pair up and spawn together, or even 3 together. I'm most impressed with your discus food recipe, you've obviously put a lot of research and effort into that. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Larry

#18 Happyfish

Happyfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:26 AM

No worries. You're right about sexing fish LOL if you would be patient with discus you 'll see the result for sure. I can tell you this i only saw the first spawn of discus it was 2yrs after that i kept discus so you are miles ahead of me already LOL.
food wise it's kind of trial and error for exprience for myself

cheers.
P.S: I think my topajos are still young adult i think that it about 1yrs and half old. anyway look for one pair of other one or others as well.
cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users