Photo

3 Dead Fish In As Many Days

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Knightskeyes

Knightskeyes
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

I have lost 3 fish in the last three days. It appears that they were attacked by my Venustus. All 3 were found jammed under a log in a cave that had been dug by something. I have posted a photo of the last victim, one of my yellows.Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1455172533126.jpg   49.12KB   15 downloads

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

#2 In between tanks

In between tanks
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

Take out the log

#3 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:54 PM

this is one reason why I got rid of my malawis, as I don't like keeping angry fish

go planted with neon tetras and other happy fish, or give the venustus to your LFS

#4 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:19 PM

Na jas Malawis is where it's at mate ;)
Ur venustus will get aggressive around 12 cm and maybe remove the Log cos with them digging it could be Collapsing on them

Edited by Chopstick_mike, 11 February 2016 - 04:17 PM.

#5 Knightskeyes

Knightskeyes
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:13 PM

Going to re do the tank this weekend. Take out the gravel and replace it with pool filter sand. The Venustus has grown a fair bit since i got it from a friend. It started digging big holes in the gravel about 3 weeks ago. It must do its aggression during the night. I intend to give it away along with a large black shark i have.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

#6 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:48 AM

just be careful swapping out gravel and replacing it with sand.... as your gravel will have a certain amount of beneficial bacteria growing in it.... so you will be depleting your tanks overall ability to complete the nitrogen cycle..... 

or in easy terms you may well experience ammonia levels rising after you swap out the gravel....  until your beneficial bacteria numbers recolonise to cope with your bioload....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users