Question About Species Compatablitiy & Growth Rates

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

Howdy PCS Crew,

I am going to be installing and care-taking a 9x2.5x2.25 tank at my work place. The plan is to go with an aussie native display. I would like to have 2 barra, a saratoga, 1 or 2 archers, 6-8 red scats and a catfish or 2. Any suggestions regarding the proposed stocking? Too heavy or room for more? What species of aussie catfish are available that grow to 40-50cm?

I would like to grow these guys up together but have never kept them before. I understand from threads I have read using the search that barra grow quickly. Do scats grow fast? Archers? Saratoga?

So my question is how big should each of these species be initially to prevent any of them becoming dinner for the others as they grow?

Cheers everyone,

Danny

#2 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

Barras are the fastest growers and as such will probably cause an issue. From my understanding the Archers and Scats should be fine and once the Scats have size are very robust. The saratoga should also be fine with Scats and Archers, but again the Bara will more than likely cause issues.

You could try Purple Spotted Gudgeons for a small disctraction or Mogurnda thermophila the Snakehead Gudgeon get to relative smaller size than the saratoga and colour beautifully.

#3 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

Tandanus or salmontail catfish grow large.
Do you want the catfish for cleaning algae or just for looks?

For algae and food cleanup you can go a Gibbi, not a native, but they never stop eating algae and are big enough and tough enough to hold their own.

Andrew

#4 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (lawdog @ Dec 20 2011, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could try Purple Spotted Gudgeons for a small disctraction or Mogurnda thermophila the Snakehead Gudgeon get to relative smaller size than the saratoga and colour beautifully.

Thanks Matt. Will gudgeons grow big enough top co-exist with Barra or were you suggesting "instead of" and keeping them with Saratoga? How big tdo gudgeons grow and do they grow fast?
Cheers,
Danny

QUOTE (werdna @ Dec 20 2011, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tandanus or salmontail catfish grow large.
Do you want the catfish for cleaning algae or just for looks?
For algae and food cleanup you can go a Gibbi, not a native, but they never stop eating algae and are big enough and tough enough to hold their own.
Andrew

Hey Andrew thanks for the reply. Catfish for looks. Tank will be in an undercover outdoor community eating area. It will have natural (but no direct) sunlight and prob low watt lighting. I don't think algae growth will be a major issue but will prob get a Gibbi anyway cause they look very cool, even though not native as you mentioned.
Are tandanus & salmontails easy to come by in Perth? Do you know how quickly they grow?
Thanks for the info.
Danny

By the way would a sooty grunter go ok with barra etc? Saw a nice one on you tube tonight, big sucker but the mouth looks much smaller than a barra...maybe get away with archers, scats, gudgeons, toga & a sooty? Thoughts?

Edited by danotaylor, 21 December 2011 - 01:48 PM.

#5 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

anyone know anything about sooty or silver grunter? Seems sooty's are pretty aggro & maybe not the best community fish. What about silvers? Where would I source either silver or sooty grunter?
Has anyone ever seen jungle perch for sale over this side? Saw this today...mint!jungle perch
Cheers. Danny

Edited by danotaylor, 21 December 2011 - 02:52 PM.

#6 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

G'day Danny,

Sooty Grunters are psycho............

they are great fish, but mine all have tanks to themselves, they don't like anybody, and I do not want to lose my Sootys.

They have subtle beauty, but even as juvies it is a struggle to keep together with others of their own kind....or others of any kind for that matter, even in large tanks.

I am a big Sooty fan, they smash food etc and the ambush mode is great to watch, and also are quite interactive with me, but they are tricky(due to violent/predatory nature), so may not suit your tank.
I have a few Jade Perch also,(no silvers sorry) these are nice, but still are a hypo fish, these mix well with big american cichlids, but again do not like their own kind.

I have a few Sooty's(and Jades) so if you want to give them a go when your set up I will 'happily' donate to your cause. But be warned you may end up with one fish, but he'll love that tank. smile.gif
the Jades are a much safer option. But do not compare with the Sooty's.

Have not seen Jungles in Perth, but can give East Coast contact if required.

All the best, sounds like an interesting project.

cheers

#7 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

thanks for the info Mudjimba...would love a sooty but really want a community TB set-up...are jades aggro towards other species? how fast do jades grow? compatible with barra temoerament wise? I like the jade hue along the dorsal line, and the spots. how big are yours? do you have any pics? cheers for replying mate. be in touch. danny

#8 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

I have never kept either catfish Dan.
There used to be alot of salmontails around.
From what I have heard, Tandanus have a habit of not living very long in tanks...

#9 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

G'day Danny,

My jades are approx 8 inches+(TL), have grown quickly as they eat very well.........always 'asking' for a feed when I approach the tank(i do not feed everyday).

They still have alot of filling out to do, but share tanks with Oscars, Bay Snooks and other SA/CA cichlids, including fish smaller than themselves and get on well with all, mostly. Can be a bit boisterous, which attracts some attention from others, but no real agro. (except to their own kind occasionally)

The jade hue is coming through nicely, but more info here http://www.ausyfish.com/jade_perch.htm

Mine are the Scortum Barcoo, although I do like the look of the Scortum Hillii.

I'll have a search for pics......had my camera stolen, so cannot take any currently.

cheers

#10 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (Mudjimba @ Dec 23 2011, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
G'day Danny,
Mine are the Scortum Barcoo, although I do like the look of the Scortum Hillii.
cheers

That's great thanks bro. Had a look at the site the link took me too. Very cool! The hillii has amazing colour, wow, more of the body covered with that nice jade hue. They mentioned it is not a good table species so I wonder if it possible to get a hold of any. Any ideas about were to try to source them?
Appreciate your input mate. Cheers & have an awesome Christmas! Danny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users