Photo

Help With Sump Tier Setup Please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 angelbaby

angelbaby
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

Need some help with a sump setup, if any one has any knowledge?
I couldnt even find the pcs search box.lol
Ok so I have three 4 ft tanks
going on top of each other in a custom stand.

There is a hole in each side of the tank for fittings at the top.
I have a 6300ltrh pump is that too much?

As the stand is so high, I wondered if i can put the sump tank on top cos I want access to fish more often.

Heres some photos of the bits I have, as I dont know how it works I dont know what goes where.
I know this is the intake though.

PIC1
Attached File  intake.jpg   73.56KB   42 downloads

PIC2
Attached File  ipipe.jpg   94.4KB   33 downloads

PIC3
Attached File  ipipe2.jpg   96.2KB   23 downloads

PIC4
Attached File  ipipe3.jpg   103.96KB   21 downloads

PIC5
Attached File  ipump.jpg   94.32KB   36 downloads

#2 Mike

Mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

Got pics of the tanks and the sump too? That would help.

Looks like you have 4 bulkhead fittings (black disc shape) they should fit through the holes and seal againt the tank glass with an O ring. Pump should be ok, depending on its head rating of course. Sump should really go on the bottom because it will probably gravity feed down to the sump by the looks of what fittings you have.

If you put it on top you will have to have the powerhead on the bottom tank to push the water back up to the sump at the top. Then gravity feed the water in the sump down to the tanks. I dont know if you have an overflow or a hole drilled in your sump for a bulkhead like the tanks.

HTH

#3 aussiemcgee

aussiemcgee
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

Hi ya,

For sump ideas head to youtube or google sump design or go to some of the marine site such as maswa http://www.masa.asn.au/masa/maswa/.

You will see lots and lots of wierd and wonderful concepts and stories behind them, but I've found that really it just needs to be kept simple yet effective and suited to your needs. But, make it as big as you can, especially since you will have a large bio load. And definately have it below the main tank.

The simplest way is to get yourself some baffles made up to separate areas in the sump for different applications and silicone them in yourself. They can be anything; plastic or glass (Veebas can cut glass to whatever size you want for cheap).

I have 2 chambers on mine whereby water drains via gravity from a corner wier in the main tank down into the first chamber where I have my protien skimmer and heater (skimmer not necessary for freshwater systems)
The next chamber (the largest), is full of the fiter media - in my case live rock.
Ideally you would have a third chamber where the return pump would be. I have mine in with the fitrate as i was space limeted as a result it tends to get a bit fouled.

If you have one baffle where water flows over the top and the other where water flows underneath it wil assist with getting good water movement through your media and eliminate dead spots.

Hope this helps a bit, Good luck with it!

#4 angelbaby

angelbaby
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

Thanks heaps, this is very helpful.
I was wondering if anyone has photos?
I have one of the tanks has 3 compartments. smile.gif
I'll have to read this again...

#5 angelbaby

angelbaby
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

Aussiemcgee
Do you have a photo of your sump section?
I finished the stand and cleaned out the theatre room moving a BIG ass TV only to find we couldnt get the stand in the door.LOL
So into the spare room it is.
One more tank to put in, cos the end pane got broken, got glass cut and siliconed it in yesterday.
Is there a way to have electric yellows in there as well, like if I bypass one tank section with the whole pump setup. The water will be prepared for angels.
So thought I could skip a tank section and power it with powerheads and sponge filters for EY.
Will get a photo on here when its day light.

#6 angelbaby

angelbaby
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Attached File  tanksetup.jpg   179.72KB   32 downloadsok I have a rough sketch if anyone can offer suggestions.
So I was thinking the attachments with screws and rubber seal go on the holes on the right with the outlet hose
On the left goes the white plumping pipe and into each hole goes the inlet hose

#7 angelbaby

angelbaby
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:18 AM

how would i arrange the pump and medium?
Where would the in and out go.
I'm thinking the middle tank should have been the bottom tank due to it having a hole in the middle glass. one pipe could have a spray bar over the filter medium. the other side could have fishies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users