Photo

Which Water Conditioner To Use?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mattzilla

Mattzilla
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:55 PM

ok so i have been using Aqua Star to treat my tap water for years and it seems to no longer be available from Age of Aquariums, and i can't find it anywhere else.

I've been very happy with it but need something asap as i'm almost out. It's quite strong and has worked very well with me for a long time.

I'm looking for suggestions on what else to use please.

Aqua Star claims to 

• Aqua Star acts fast. Within Minutes, it neutralizes chlorine, chloramine,
  • toxic ammonia and heavy metals, making tap water safe for fish. Adds protective Slime coating.
  • Aqua Star can also be used to reduce dangerous ammonia levels in established aquariums or when transporting fish.
  • Neutralizes 5ppm chlorine, 2ppm chloramine, 1ppm ammonia.

I have used Prime before but found aqua star to be better (less fish loss especially when breeding and growing out fry).

Thanks in advance.

#2 tropheus

tropheus
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:03 PM

Seachem Prime
I've been using it for around 20 years. It's the best stuff out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

I’m in the Seachem Prime / Safe camp too.  I personally don’t think there is a better product on the market, although rumour has it that Continuum Fraction is a very similar product at a significantly lower price than Prime. 

Be aware that there are a few types of water conditioner.  While some say they treat chloramines, the more basic conditioners just break the ammonia / chlorine bond, but leave toxic ammonia in the water.  In particular it’s the Sodium Thiosulfate based products which can be an issue here.  It’s not a problem if there is no chance of your water authority using chloramine, or if you only ever do small water changes (ie no more than 20%), but in places like South Australia where chloramine is used, they just aren’t a good option.

I usually suggest to people who use the more basic water conditioners that its worth having some Prime on hand for emergency detoxification of ammonia, nitrites and heavy metals from tanks.  At the first sign of any issues with my fish, my reaction is always to reach for the test kits, and hit the tank with an emergency dose of Prime/Safe.

This is a good resource for a comparison of the different types of conditioners. 

http://www.aquarium-...nditioners.html

If you are looking at a conditioner that isn’t on the list, it’s relatively simple to work out which category of product they fall into.  If tech specs on the website of the manufacturer don’t tell you, see if you can find a Material Safety Data Sheet for the product.  MSDS have to be available by law, and they outline what chemicals are in the product.

Edited by humbug, 10 October 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:09 PM

I've used fraction lately, and seems to do the job
Why not go for Seachem Safe. Good and cheap

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:47 PM

Prime for me!

#6 Mattzilla

Mattzilla
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:45 AM

Thanks everyone, going to give continuum fraction a try

#7 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:48 AM

Don't take chances with tap water, you want it to be Safe.

#8 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

I went ahead and got some API water conditioner off AOA and on the website it's says:
"Super-strength water conditioner. Instantly removes chlorine and neutralizes chloramines. Also detoxifies heavy metals in tap water. Requires only one drop per 4 litres. Use when setting up a new aquarium or adding water. Safe for all aquatic life.

1ml pr 75 litres "

So I believed that 1ml/75l removes chlorine, neutralises chloramines and detoxifies heavy metals as it didn't say otherwise, now I read the bottle and it says 5ml does 114l which is a huge difference to what it says on AOA website which was a big disappointment as I bought a bunch for future use :(. I just want you guys to be weary of buying it!

#9 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:14 PM

I'm using API and loving it, haven't had any dramas at all :)

#10 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:19 PM

Take a look at the link I posted earlier. API Tap Water Conditioner is one of the basic water conditioners, and while it will break the ammonia / chlorine bond of chloramine, it leaves toxic ammonia in the tank. If your water source could contain chloramines (ie the water board doses the supply with ammonia - which occurs in most states of Australia) then API is only really safe if you do water changes less than 20%.
Water authories tend to use chloramines intermittently, when conditions warrant it. This can mean if you are using a basic conditioner you are really playing Russian roulette with your fish. Any water change could be the problem one, and you cant predict which one it will be

#11 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

just checking, Perth tap water has chloramines right?

Edited by Michael the fish fanatic, 11 October 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#12 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:02 PM

No mate ... well not entirely ... there are some areas it is used I believe Mundaring is one others I don't know .. some one else will have a better idea :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users