Photo

Our First Aquaponics System

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 SynoAngel

SynoAngel
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

I like this idea, I have to add it to the "to do list" as one of final projects for the backyard.

Daniel

#22 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (SynoAngel @ Mar 11 2010, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like this idea, I have to add it to the "to do list" as one of final projects for the backyard.

Daniel

Hi Daniel, in my experience, there isn't one final project for Aquaponics... once you catch the bug, you will be trying to convert everything to aquaponics...

#23 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (MrOrange @ Mar 8 2010, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got a 4 x 500L GB, 3000L FishTank and 1000L SumpTank system. Also a BYAP member.

Looking forward to the trout season smile.gif

All water changes from my indoor FT's go to the patio plants / pots or into the 1000L ST. I use a water changing device that connects onto the 30m garden hose so they drain straight into the sump.

Unlike aquariums, I need as many nitrates as I can get my hands on in AP.

Ivan your system looks nice! Some shade would really kick it off.

Sorry .. somehow missed your post... thanks.. you got a bigger system then me... I am looking at an upgrade soon... possibly a separate system ...

#24 thefishdummy

thefishdummy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

Oh now, looks like my lil gal chubby house going to be on top of any tanks soon or perhaps growbed..

#25 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:08 PM

Well have not updated my thread for some time. We now have rainbow trouts in the aquaponics system. They are loving the cold weather and eating lots. Hopefully it all goes smoothly for a Nov/Dec harvest.

Currently in the process of expansion. Another 2000L tank (for some kois and silver perch), 1 additional BYAP 500L growbed. 4x IBC 1000L growbeds, 1x IBC fingerling/trout tank and about 8x blue barrels either cut in halves or 3/4 for growbeds or fruit trees.

Have attached a Google sketchup plan of the expansion... The additional BYAP 500L growbed will be connected to the existing system so will not be part of this new system.

Oh yes, and also to complement the aquaponics, I will be putting in a wicking bed drawn and will be built up using some treated pine sleepers.

Attached Files

#26 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

Looks awesome Ivan, how much is the expansion setting you back dollar wise?

#27 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:38 PM

At the moment and including some of the future expenditure that I can foresee, about 6K.

This new system once established will be able to provide about 100 to 150 fishes a year hopefully. Plus my existing system which will become a rapid grow-out system (ie. trout in winter, barra in summer) of about 80-100 fishes .

I think I will be alright for home grown out fishes every year. Just need to buy the fingerlings.

And of course there is the fruit and vege side of aquaponics as well. So may need to buy seedlings or seeds... and hopefully it will provide my family with most of the greens and fruits required for the year.

#28 jim1234

jim1234
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

Hi Ivan i have silver perch fingerlings at the moment and am a bit over stocked only small 35-45 cm. Where do you normally get your fingerlings

#29 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (jim1234 @ Jul 25 2010, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ivan i have silver perch fingerlings at the moment and am a bit over stocked only small 35-45 cm. Where do you normally get your fingerlings

Well I have not got silver perch fingerlings before but I would most likely get them from Ferguson Springs. Same guy I get my trout from and he delivers to Perth for a fee. I am still in the process of expanding so most likely looking at getting fishes only in Sept provided there is no further delays in my expansion.

I think you mean 35-45mm right?? 35-45cm is plate size already...

#30 jim1234

jim1234
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

Ah my bad mm, not cm. Yeah Gavin i got my fish from him, good bloke. Im setting up my own system at the moment, ive been growing hydroponics in my shade house for the past few years but with the price of nutrents its cheaper to buy a lettuce.
Im sure you have this book but for anyone else interested( Aquaponics in Australia)

By the way where do you get the gro beds ?

#31 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

Jim, apologies for not getting back sooner... Must have missed your post the second time round...

Well actually IMO the best resource to Aquaponics information is Backyard Aquaponics.
http://www.backyarda...orum/portal.php

Better than any books... questions usually answered promptly by forum members...

Sorry, which growbeds??? The green looking one (Backyard Aquaponics in Jandakot) or the IBC growbeds??

#32 jim1234

jim1234
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

Hi Ivan, i was interested in the green grow beds so I will look up the mob in Jandakot thanks for the info.

P.S. Hows your system upgrade coming along.

James

#33 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

James, thanks for asking... Well upgrade is going rather slowly... lots to do but too little time...

#34 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:55 PM

Okay, a bit of an update... Trout for Dinner... About 450gms each, so not bad size. Enough for 2 adults, a toddler and a dog.

Attached Files

#35 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

Good size on them. How long did it take?

#36 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

May to Nov. 6 months from fingerlings. There are 1-2 monsters in the tank that we could not catch...

#37 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

Love to see the monsters.
cant get over how fast they grow

#38 MrOrange

MrOrange
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:50 PM

heh I had trout for lunch today Ivan! Didn't manage to net any of the bigger ones, mine were 300gms though stil good eating size.

How are you killing the fish? Looks like you might be trying something through the eye? The best way IMO is a sharp smack over the back of a head with a bit of wood (bit of 19mm pine is perfect). Hold the fish in your rag, expose the head, a good hard smack on the top of the head so you hear a crack / pop sound. Fast, clean, accurate and instant death. I've tried just about every method over the years and this is by far the best and most humane method for the fish.

#39 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

I use the Ike Jime method or Brain Spike. Work quite well once you get the hang of it.

And Mattt, yes they do grow quick...

#40 choombies

choombies
  • Banned

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:04 AM

yep iki jimi is the way to do it spike through the brain very rapid end to the fishes life dunno about goin fishing and smashin the fish with a bit of wood! maybe a shark lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users