• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 polypterus

polypterus
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

Hi all,

I thought I would introduce myself to the oddball forum,

I have 3x senegal Bichirs (2x boys, 1x girl), needless to say they are my favourite fish out of all the species we keep.

Usually kept in a 6ft planted tank where they have spawned a few times, however unfortunately at extremely inconvenient times. Recently they were moved to a 2ft× 2 ft tank as we are moving and needed to move the display tanks, they chose to spawn again but this time I thought we may as well try to raise some fry as the eggs have always been viable jn previous spawns.

I currently have about 20 odd fry at varying ages ( they spawn over about a week) the oldest being about 1 week old. So far they are doing ok ( active, full bellies) but only time will tell if we are successful j
in raising any to a viable age.

If they survive and get a to a photographable size I will post up some photos :)

#2 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Great stuff!

Another member here was breeding them awhile back, I was fortunate enough to drop around to his place and view the fry at varying stages. Very cool indeed.

Have you had any try to swallow each other? He was having issues where they would choke on one another :(

#3 polypterus

polypterus
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

None have tried to cannabalise each other - yet... I am sure they will need to be seperated into groups of similar size as they become more active hunters.

I am feeding 5 times a day ( microworms, brine shrimp) and changing water daily at this stage. Once they are growing well I will cut back the feeding to 3x daily. Im guessing the water has some sort edible bacteria in it as some fry we only found in the tank, still going strong after about five days :)

#4 polypterus

polypterus
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Photos of the fish kids

Attached Files

#5 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

That second pic is bloody awesome :)

Reminds me of my trio I had... Should've kept them, they were just starting to breed. Such cool fish.
Seems they are getting easier to breed and are becoming more easier to come by.

I might have to grab some more.

#6 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Join the team, theres a small pocket of us searching high and low for these guys, appears to be many more males then females around.

none the less, 'polypterus' your doing a real good job mate, if you put the effort in now it,ll certainly pay off. well done.

#7 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

Awesome fish mate and well done spawning them, no doubt if you manage to raise the fry you will have absolutely no trouble selling them as Jules said, Id definitely take a couple off your hands :)

#8 polypterus

polypterus
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

Have fry everywhere, gosh when they spawn they do a decent bloody job!!! There are about 20 in the parents tank which I will leave there to see if they survive as I think they will do better there to be honest.

The babies in the fry tank are doing well, still absorbing yolk sacs but I noticed a couple eating some microworms I put in for the slightly older ones.

#9 cameroncuz

cameroncuz
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

They look awesome! Would love one or three in my 6ft planted once its set up!! :)
Are they available in shops? I don't think I've seen any (not that I've asked)?

#10 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

You won't find one in shops year days (unless maybe a trade in)
There very hard to come by.
I was lucky enough to be offered one of my males back and I got him today. Thanks tom ;)
Love these guys heaps, now to find tht female for him.

#11 rsevs3

rsevs3
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

I have to say, since joining this forum, no fish has caught my attention like these guys!

Once i have move down to perth in a few weeks i will be on the prowl for some of these guys!

+1 on the second pic being a ripper too.

#12 polypterus

polypterus
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

They spawned again today... not sure what bought this spawning on as I didnt do a water change ( usual trigger)
Fry are doing well, have only lost half a dozen. All about 1cm long including the batch I left in the parents tank. They look to be feeding well so far. Fingers crossed I can get them to continue doing well :)

#13 yodapwnsasmurf

yodapwnsasmurf
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

I'll grab a few when they're ready!

Love to see more of these guys around!

#14 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

Awesome! Very nice job and congratulations on the spawn.

Fantastic to see more bichir around. Beautiful fish

#15 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

the influx of the baby ornates, and tigers and potentially the breeding of these seangels will help to see these guys not be lost.

honestly if you ever have the chance to own polypeterus, do it. there an amazing group of fishes........

#16 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Did anyone buy any of those tiger juvies from Brisbane?

#17 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

there were a couple offered up I think.

The 2 ornate juvies for 2k woulda been wicked.

#18 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

I would have got one but nobody replied to my group buy query and the minimum ship was 2.

#19 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

If they where a little bigger and didn't have the external gills (pretyy sure some still did) I honestly would have sold some things to get a couple.

love the endlis!

its seems easier to find other bichirs then plain senagels atm, really starting to annoy me.

#20 K.v

K.v
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:52 AM

Join the team, theres a small pocket of us searching high and low for these guys, appears to be many more males then females around.
none the less, 'polypterus' your doing a real good job mate, if you put the effort in now it,ll certainly pay off. well done.

Greed drives the market not a love of a species. Wich is why rays are the price they are.
Great effort mate. Look forward to seeing the end results of your hard work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users