• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

Type of fish: Peacock Bass
Symptoms: White Spot
Other tank mates: Clown loach, yoyo loach, 2 red empress (for now)
Tank size / capacity: 220L
Type of Food fed: Blood worm
Feeding frequency/amount: 1 cube, twice a day
Substrate: Sand
Type of filtration: Canister filter
Frequency of filter cleans: Monthly
Frequency and % volume of water changes: 50%
Last water change: 1 week ago
PH: 7.6
KH: ??
GH: ??
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: don't have test kit
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: ??
Water temp: 30
Medications used recently to date: Yesterday, Aqua Master Rapid White Spot Remedy
Any recent changes..new fish/filters/power outages etc etc: they have been in there since tuesday

Need help quickly

Thanks

Edited by fish, 11 March 2011 - 06:14 PM.

#2 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

All you can do is continue to treat as per directions on the treatment already applied, and if you can, increase the temp above 30C and wait it out - as a rule of thumb, whitespot can get worse before it gets better, so give it time.

If you feed lots of frozen bloodworm, get your water tested for phosphates - you will find the water used in packing the bloodworms contains high levels of phosphates, and this could be a stress factor if levels go above 5ppm.

#3 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

ok thanks for the help, will get some more of the stuff im using tomorrow as i have run out and will get a ppm test kit

#4 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:27 PM

As Docfish suggested! Hoever just a word of warning. Loaches are suseptable to whitespot plus can be sensitive to the medications for it. Read the instructions carefully. To be sure you may need to risk the full dose of medication for the peacock Bass and see how the loache's go. I also find the addition of aquarium salt helps with whitespot.

Tony

#5 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

ok thanks for the help guys

#6 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

woke up this morning to find that all of my fish have died except for my 6 peppies and 2 peacock bass sad.gif 2 red empress, 2 loaches and 3 P bass sad.gif

any ideas why?

thanks

#7 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

More details would help. Try filling out the health template in another post. Sorry for your loss mate

#8 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

what do u mean, other template?

#9 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

All of your fish have died? What ones would help? Just in the one tank? What are the symptoms? Just more details would help

(dw about another template unless your talking about another tank, was abit confused on what you ment saying all your fish have died)

Edited by Sarahjayne1988, 13 March 2011 - 09:21 AM.

#10 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

haha sorry, i ment in the one tank with the P bass, loaches, peppies and red empress. The P bass had white spot so i bumped the temp up to 30 and yesterday I put some white spot stuff in the tank for them. This morning I woke up and the red empress, loaches and 3 P bass where dead sad.gif

#11 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

I'd go get your water tested. Can't help to much with white spot as I've never had it. The more details you can provide the better help other pcs members can give you. What's alive in the tank ATM?

#12 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

Might help Click

#13 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

I,ve just emptied the whole tank, put the P bass and peppies in an eski with a filter for now, I cleaned the tank and emptied all the sand out, will just go glass bottom for now until I get some more sand. Tank is drying at the moment, when the P bass go in I will wait a couple of days before I put some more medication in

#14 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

Whitespot is a parrasite and you need to follow the instructions on the medication carefully. It is a course of treatment over a number of days usually 5-7 days with repeat treatments. This is because it can only be killed in the free swimming stage, so your first treatment will not get rid of it all. You need to treat the whole tank, not just the fish showing symtoms.
Moving the fish into an esky will cause more stress and will expose them to higher risk of fatality from it. It may have made things worse, would have been better to keep the tank going and continue the treatment for the full course.
Do not put anything from the infected tank into any of your other tanks!!!
Some medications may also effect the bacteria in filters, so again the need to be careful.

As Docfish has stated, whitespot tends to get worse before it gets better, unfortunitly there is not much more you can do now other than continue with the treatment and hope for the best.

I think as Sarah suggested that it is always best to give all the information you can to give us the best idea of what the problem is. We can only assume that it is in fact whitespot that you have because we assume you are 100% sure thats what it is without other information such as other symptoms, such as scratching, clamped fins etc.

Sorry for the loss of fish, have been there myself, especially with fish sensitive to whitespot and the treatment smile.gif

Tony

#15 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

the white spot was all over there fins, is there anything else that looks like white spot?

#16 Neddy

Neddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

Hey bud, was that cannister already cycled before you put it on that tank? Poor water conditions coupled with stress is definetly likely to cause white spot.

#17 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

the canister I bought recently is on a different tank, the canister that was running on this tank has been running for about a year now

#18 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

How did the rest of your fish go? Did they make it? Have you set the tank back up?

#19 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:05 AM

Get a uv light then you won't have white spot problems.

#20 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:48 AM

UV doesnt stop whitespot. It does help stop the spread to other tanks if in a system, and slows down the spread within a tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users