• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:21 PM

Hi all,

Looking to replace the box LEDs I have on a 4ft tank at the moment. Tank is 2.5ft deep with CO2 injection.

At the moment there are two box led reef lights (white light only) and a centre box led hydroponics light (high in reds) so the whole lot is bit of a disco mess. And the fans do make a little noise. I got the hydroponics light to get more red light at depth after looking at the spectrum of light plants are meant to need (but very much a beginner if link below is wrong).

Thinking of later on in the year trying to get strip led lights instead and neaten the whole lot up.

At the moment I'm only really aware of Dalua lights and wondered if there was anything else out there for LEDs in Perth?

Budget is going to be somewhere around a grand I guess but I don't need bells and whistles. Any ideas?

http://www.aquatic-e...uarium.html?m=1

http://daluaaustrali...ced-freshwater/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:49 PM

2 x kessil LEDs

#3 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:36 AM

Try our new sponsor Aquarium Gallery in Wangara  im sure they have something to fill your needs

#4 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

Many thanks for the replies. I'll check out more on the kessil LEDs. I did think nah, don't like them but can't hang anything from the ceiling anyways and ended up thinking they do look quite nice. At the moment the box lights just sit on the tank covers (tank hood removed) so it's a pain to remove the lights every water change.

Stuff grows I must admit but it's not picture perfect or anything. BBA is a constant threat.

I'll check out the Aquarium Gallery in Wangara as well. I'd like to go local if I can.

My other option that I have been eyeing off is the bml website but the aussie dollar going down makes that expensive as well. No idea why I'm not allowed a second tank :)

http://www.buildmyle...300k-xb-series/

#5 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:27 AM

I have BML lights. I think they are fantastic lights.

#6 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:35 AM

Holey smokes! Did you need an American power plug adaptor? Get anything else with them? I've mucked around with their DIY light section and put in the LEDs I have for fun. Amazing on how much the red spectrum gets chopped at depth. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Delapool, 16 July 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#7 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:08 AM

You only need the plug adapter itself as the drivers run 110/240 55/60hz.

I got some really neat plug adapters that dont look like adapters, they actually look like part of the plug so they are not unsightly at all.

You can buy a dimmer but im running off of a Profilux so i didnt need it. I bout splitters to control the dimming and some additional wiring to connect to a PCI board from Profilux to control cloud simulation, moon cycle, and storm lighting.

These truly are great lights and better than most lights youll find in Australia. Fanless and high quality LEDs.

And easy guys to deal with even though theyre in Texas.

#8 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. This would be the ultimate I think and might have to go to $1500. But I've been thinking of getting a PAR meter so I guess I would 'save' there. Food for thought. Appreciate the information.

It is tempting as I enjoy planted tanks as a challenge and consider I have a long road still to go so could see these getting used. The cost though!!

In other news tested potassium twice this week after last testing in March which is a bit slack. First test result was 116ppm, last night after K dosing was 88ppm so I've decided that even though the test say K is high, I'll increase dosing and see what happens. The giant hygro seems the main problem.

#9 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:38 AM

Use the Estimative Index fertilizing method and you won't need to do anymore testing.
You can come over and check out my lights if you like before making the investment but they are great lights.
I'm thinking of selling mine to upgrade if your interested but I have 4 x 5 foot units. I'm upgrading to the same unit but running the lights front to back rather than the tradition left to right which will give a more realists cloud simulation. Time running is 8500 hours. I can get and exact minute running time if your interested. But that's at less than 50% power too.
Cheers.

#10 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

That does sound quite an amazing setup. I know, I know - I've been looking at these for several years now and I know these will be great lights. It came up as 3 x 4ft units for me but it would be good to query them if the standard build will be ok for the depth or needs tweaking. I've never really seen a bad review on them and my preference is for LED lights now.

I had been using this link (from memory off the planted tank forum) for ferts dosing but the site seems permanently down now. That was nice as it used to show where the dose rate sat for EI and few others. Ended up buying a fertcalc iPhone app to replace it.

http://calc.petalphile.com/mobile

I like the concept of EI but guess I don't mind the testing. I just hate the API nitrates test as can never tell colours apart.

Edited by Delapool, 17 July 2015 - 04:34 PM.

#11 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:47 PM

Yeah I don't know what the deal is with that site either. I used to use it too. I know a replacement site is up so search for Another fertiliser calculator or something similar and see what it returns. I didn't bother saving the site as I'm out of planted tanks. But there is a site out there.
Just send a message to the BML forum. The owner usually replies.
Unless your tank is 3 foot high plus you should be ok.

EI method dude. EI method.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:50 PM

Lol - EI maybe next year.

Tank only 2.5ft deep so should be ok. Will have to get tax return done so have an idea of refund.

One other question if I can is what sort of co2 reactor/diffuser did you use? I assumed inline return from canister as that seems popular?

I have a tunze in-tank, powered reactor but it can't keep up. Gets a death rattle if I push bubble count. Looking for something in-tank again but more heavy duty.

I don't want to go inline in case it ever leaks and a bit tight on room around tank (surrounded by book cases).

#13 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:30 AM

I used an inline reactor so i cant comment on in tank type sorry. But the inline reactors are more efficient at dissolving CO2.

You could try the Sera reactor. Its reportedly pretty good. I used the Cerges reactor because i had alot of flow and retail reactors couldnt handle the CO2.

I found the fert website 

http://yanc.rotalabutterfly.com/

#14 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the ideas, I'll check these out. A Cerges reactor would also be tempting. I've got about 6 zillion power cords so would be nice to go something simple.

Also a heap of thanks for the link. That's fantastic to have.

Edited by Delapool, 18 July 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#15 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

I have a spare one you could buy. I thought I'd use two but it wasn't needed.
I think they're the most simple and efficient reactor available.
On another note. If your thinking of using EI take a look on the forum for someone selling a standalone doser. You'll never look back and always wonder why you never used one before.
I'm sure I saw one for sale a little while ago.

#16 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:58 PM

Thanks again for the information. I'll have to take a rain-check on the reactor unfortunately as ordered another tunze in-tank one to try - hopefully on the same t-piece. Will be an interesting experiment. Could be interested later on though depending on how it all goes.

I agree on stand alone doser.

I dry dose micros, phosphate and potassium (separately) and nitrates as a made up bottle.

Micros I dose on Saturday after a water change, potassium each day and phosphate on Wednesday (largely just in case the phosphate and the iron precipitate out). Nitrates I only dose a couple of days of the week. Previously I had been using PMDDs however I've been finding the nitrates had been dropping and needed to bump it up.

#17 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

Sounds like youve got it sorted.

Now get some decent LEDs.....   :)

#18 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

Hopefully getting there. Could still spend more to improve substrate, would love to get a larger co2 bottle as well as getting delivery working better.

And better led lights :)

The co2 bottle isn't too bad. This time it lasted 3 months but of course ran out Tuesday and I only refilled Saturday. I left the centre light on only and glut dosed but all the new growth under there is terrible - twisted and full of holes. Unfortunately can't dim the centre box led light which was probably my biggest mistake buying it. Might put it on a separate timer and see if that makes a difference. But yes, proper lights would sort the whole lot out and make it more simple. Ongoing fun :)

#19 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:29 AM

Holes in leaves. Dose K.

#20 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:36 AM

Craig is selling to Sera reactors. Get in quick. Should help with your co2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users