Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Neutralise Chemical Container For Fresh Water Use?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

I have a couple 1000L IBC's i picked up for waste water, they contained a type of wetting agent. So for my immediate garden use they are fine.

I had a few PM's from people interested in the containers for fresh water use, so i thought i would ask if there is some sort of treatment that can be done. They also have IBC that have contained weed killer but i have no chemical details on them.

Either way they seem to be popular, if an admin can perhaps pin a new topic for those interested, most of the pertinent contact details are in the months meeting/topic post.

My question is... If i decide i want to store fresh water in them, can i do so by treating them somehow?

Container 1 had the following chemical listed - terwet 1367 nonionic surfactant from huntsman
Container 2 had the following chemical listed - eo-po blend 626141 sufble10 from redox

I was unable to find any details relating to the 1st, but the second i found this data sheet - http://www.redox.com...a/sufble10.html

I assume they are basically the same type of surfactant. Can they be treated?

#2 MrOrange

MrOrange
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:56 PM

Have a search on backyardaquaponics.com for info on IBC use (I know user OutbackOzzie uses heaps of them, check his system thread). Heaps of people using them to grow both freshwater fish and vegetables for human consumption. I'm using food-safe HDPE for my system but plenty of people opting for cheaper IBC's.

#3 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:58 AM

ahh why did you show me that, just organising a fish shed project and now i want to try my hand at aquaponics. Oubacks yard is awesome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users