Filtration - Internal Or External

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:48 PM

Hi guys,

On the topic of filtration, I am quite new to the aquarium thing. I have been supplied with a 1000L/hr internal power head filter. I have a tank that is approximately 220L.

Was wondering what is an more efficient filter?? External canister?? Do the internal power head filter do a decent job??

Your comments would be much appreciated so I am yet to install the filter and can still change my mind and go to a more efficient filter... although it would have to mean actually less work too... I am a bit lazy at times...

#2 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

Filtration really comes down to what media you use. There are several types of filtration, the most important being mechanical and biological.
Mechanical removes debris from water usually via sponge material or ceramic noodles.
Biological converts bad chemicals like ammonia and nitrites to the less toxic nitrate.

As a rule of thumb, the filter should be able to move the volume of your tank 2-3 times an hour.

Internal filters with attached media compartment are quite cheap, but take up room inside your tank and can be an eyesore. Canister filters are external and thus easier to access for maintenance. They are also more expensive. The cheapest filters would be sponge filters, they are driven by an airpump and are very efficient, easy to clean but they also take up room inside the tank and the air bubbles make noise.

In the end it's up to you which type you use. If your tank is a display tank, I would go with a canister (Eheim), if it's more of a breeding setup I'd go for a sponge filter.
Our sponsors have good deals on filters smile.gif
If you are a club member you also get 10% off.

#3 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (Cawdor @ Feb 7 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
....Filtration really comes down to what media you use....
....As a rule of thumb, the filter should be able to move the volume of your tank 2-3 times an hour....

On top of what Tim has already said the filter media inside a canister will be a larger volume which means more surface area for good bacteria to propagate. It'll cope will a larger bio-load.

Daz

#4 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:39 PM

So if I do go for an external canister setup, I presume I should look for something that moves about 600lph?? I have installed the 1000lph powerhead filter that came supplied with the tank. I found it to be pretty noisy and also provides lots of current... could be too strong for the fishes??

Just a matter of education, why sponge filter for breeding setup??

#5 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

Sponge filters for a breeding setup because:

1. cheap to buy
2. looks don't matter in a breeding setup
3. fry can't get sucked in
4. easy to clean
5. cheap to run
6. if you have several tanks, you can run all the sponges off one airpump

Canister: don't be too focused on pump volume, the bio media volume is more important. Have a look at the Eheim Pro series. The 2228 is excellent value and can do tanks up to 600L. Vebas have a great price on these.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users