Photo

Anyone Used Metronidazole???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 emmz-cichlids

emmz-cichlids
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

So I'm confused with what dose to do, I have 400mg (per tablet) of metronidazole and have been told and researched many different amounts, main one was 250mg per 40L

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

Where did you get it from?
Should come with instructions, or people shouldn't be selling it

#3 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

Hi

I have used metronidazole a few times in the past. 

I always used it on large fish, and I dosed it inside the food rather than straight into the water. Quite easy, a small incision in a white bait and load small pieces into the stomach cavity.

For dosing directly into the water the general recommended dose is 100mg per 40L, repeating the dose every second day.

Edited by Peckoltia, 27 May 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#4 emmz-cichlids

emmz-cichlids
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

I'm not sure if I'm able to only feed the affected fish and yes the affected fish is a 30cm pearl horseface but I was wanting to just treat the whole tank as I don't no where the hole in the head has come from, I believe it may of been in water when I last purchased a fish, either way problem has to be fixed. Did you do water changes before every dose? And how long did you treat for? Thanks heaps

#5 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:44 PM

It won't fix hith.
Hith is a long term issue, though can pop up quick.
Metro fixes immediate problems.
One 5cent coin by 4x 5cent coin thick will treat a 4x2.
If a tablet then crush into powder and dissolve in cup of warm water,, then add to tank.

#6 emmz-cichlids

emmz-cichlids
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

This is tablet form each tablet being 400mg for a 8x2x2 and metronidazole is the main medication on every single Web page I've researched plus what a vet has told me

#7 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:15 PM

Yes,, it's very debatable and always stews a hot topic.
Metro does clear it but rarely fixes it,,,,, hith is a very stubborn thing and comes back.
Hith takes a long time to treat and not many people use metro continually.
I'm not a expert on hith, but there are a few different types of disease thats very similar to hith also that gets diagnosed of scew.
Nothing wrong with giving it a go though.
I treated a whopper peacock bass (Temensis), and through truckloads of DMZ (aquatic form of metro) and relatively fixed it.
Within weeks/months hith showed up again.
If a fish is full size and very old and weak,, then hith is very hard to rid.

Don't forget the metro is pure antibiotics and once it's worked and propt up the immune system of the fish to fight disease,,, then the fishs immune system must do its own work to ward of disease after antibiotics is finished,,,,, it's a big ask for a old fish,,, or if the reasons for the fish getting hith in the first place remains.

I'd say 6x tablets would treat your tank for one dose as a strong effective measure.
Wait for two days and do a 30% water change and repeat dose again.
All up three doses.

You use much less and is much more effective in the food as Peckoltia said.
Two teaspoons of fishes pellet food in a cup,,, add a few drops of water and mix to wet outside of pellet,, then two pinches of metro powder and stir/mix thorough.
Feed directly to fish every night once for a good week.
Turn off any uv strerilization units as it stuffs the antibiotics.
Metro also effects your beneficial bacteria in your filters so having seachem prime on standby is handy.
(another good reason for oral dosing over water dosing).

Put tablet on bread board, and lay a large non flexible knife flat down on top, put your weight over with hand on top and rock the knife as the tablet crumbles into powder.

Edited by Buccal, 27 May 2015 - 07:21 PM.

#8 emmz-cichlids

emmz-cichlids
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

Yer luckily my filters haven't been cleaned for over a month so I'm hoping they will help with the beneficial bacteria, my fish is about 3yrs old not sure if that's old or not. He is healthy and hasn't lost any weight just sulks in a corner all day and has the holes on his face. I was tosing up between two methods one being 4 tablets and another being 7.5 but if you say 6 then I might give that a shot, I was going to use my pastel to crush the tablets and then mix them into a container with tank water so they mix easily into the tank, my fish are pigs so I won't be able to target just the one to treat but I have set up a 60l in an 80l container to use as a bath mix as another option, I also have hex x from aquotix's to try as a back up if needed

#9 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

Sounds like your on track to give it a crack.
The bath method would Definetely be to light on I'd say.

#10 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

In case you haven't read it yet.
http://www.perthcich...showtopic=55692

#11 emmz-cichlids

emmz-cichlids
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

Thanks guys, and just read that now. I have to agree with you that not many people know anything about this disease and it's annoying when we only have one fish vet in WA which is ages away from me and I just couldn't afford to consult through my vet then my vet works with the fish vet over phone and email, paying for two consults from two vets is expensive but luckily I was able to get hold of a lot of metronidazole from a friend's vet without all the hassle hence why I was stuck with what dosage to use. And bruccal I was thinking the method as well as treating the whole tank but today I'm just going to do a water change and start the first treatment for the whole tank, it's a bit scary as I have read there are chances of fish loss but I have no choice. I'll definitely log what I do and if I get any results it may help someone else in the future

#12 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:01 PM

It's pretty safe what your doing.
And fish living with hith can still live fairly long lives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users