Photo

Coles Fined

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

always something dodgy going on at the supermarkets...

http://www.abc.net.a...imports/4791790

fine is not big enough... thats not a deterent for them not to do it again... add 3 zeros to it i reckon

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

that annoys me, as i always try and go for Australian produce over imported stuff.

#3 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Considering the maximum penalty is $1.1m they got off very lightly.

#4 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

The whole issue of imported vegies disturbs me. Many countries Coles imports from have significant pollution problems and weak regulation/enforcement as to what can be sprayed on the crops. Given that most have lower standards of living, there would be a temptation to use the strongest pesticides/herbicides to maximise yield. In short, I trust them less.

#5 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

It's because of the Muslims and their demonic cats brought over with them on the boats that Coles has been getting away with this for so long.

Just joking, but on a serious note, I just came back from Europe and it was a gastronomic delight. The Europeans just don't accept inferior quality food. Aussies need to make the same stance.

#6 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

The EU has the probably the most stringent regulation of genetically modified crops in the world - http://www.trueactiv...antos-gmo-corn/

Meanwhile, the USA passes a law to protect biotech companies from litigation - http://rt.com/usa/mo...griculture-006/

It is nicknamed, the "Monsanto Protection Act". Ironically Monsanto isn't shy when it comes to suing farmers - http://www.theguardi...rs-seed-patents

I used to work in Fruit and Veg. Local produce is great when it's in season, but I'd prefer to import it from Europe in the off season rather than eat what has been refrigerated for 6 months locally. 

In reality, the Coles manager probably neglected to remove the signage when the low paid teenager put the new stock up. I don't think it was intentional, just lazy and ignorant. 

#7 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

In reality, the Coles manager probably neglected to remove the signage when the low paid teenager put the new stock up. I don't think it was intentional, just lazy and ignorant.

Totally agree. Same thing goes for when people slip on stuff in a supermarket. Coles got sued for a >$100k by some woman who slipped on a popsicle stick. She won the case but lost it at appeal.

#8 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

I think the quality suffers here because the big two select fruit based on being visually appealing ( nice colour, unmarked), and durability/toughness. Being able to stand rough treatment without bruising and storage for long periods is a prioity for them.

The problem with this is that it means you are selecting against fruit that is naturally ripened and succulent, or has much of the natural sugars that taste so good, as they also make the fruit a much less durable commodity from the supermarket's POV.

Also, we shop with our eyes, and gone are the days when a grocer would suggest you try eating a piece of fruit before you buy it. Coles responds to this tendency and does well marketing fruit that looks perfect but tastes like plastic.

I remember the first time I had a small, slightly pocked apple off a tree, and my eyes went wide. For the first time in my life I realised what an apple was supposed to taste like.

#9 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

Yeah too true Kleinz

I've become a fan of Peter Galati and his Spud Shed enterprise. You have to look at what you're buying but it's mostly good and mostly local wherever possible. Plus it's dirt cheap. I walked out of there with my trolley brimming one day with fresh fruit and veg. The trolleys are 50% bigger than usual and it cost me $68. Sure it was blemished but tasted great and it's fruit that is otherwise destined for a hole in the ground somewhere in Donnybrook. 

#10 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

good to see you posting poncho... i musta finally hit the right topic for you!!! ....i buy west australian produce where ever possible even if its more expensive... eg harvey fresh milk over the eastern states stuff... and then aussie foods... never buy from america if i see its labelled.... never noticed much fruit/veg from europe though.... always looking on the label for made in WA... steer clear of anything marked with the halal logo though!!! 

must make the time to check out the spud shed.... we do grow a lot of our own fruit/veg... we put in two fruit trees last year... we got a tri cut nashi pear tree (meaning it has 3 grafts of different types of pears) and the same with the apple tree - 3 grafts... and we had fruit first year we planted... amazing... not a lot of each variety but we definitely had some nice apples/pears... nashi pears in the fridge for a day tasted supreme!!! :)

#11 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

Fruit, vegetables, dairy products, grains/cereals, herbs and spices are all Halal, label or not. Kind of restricts your diet.

#12 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

Go check them out johnno. Spud shed stock meat from the mad butcher which is wa meat and pretty good in the sense it's not pumped full of water or doesnt need to be put under fluorescent lights to hide freezer burn and make it look pink.

#13 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:05 AM

which is the closest to me from up in the hills at mundaring ? 

Fruit, vegetables, dairy products, grains/cereals, herbs and spices are all Halal, label or not. Kind of restricts your diet.

anything that is manufacured in a factory - eg cheese , biscuits , coffee , and all that crap!! :)  veges can be harem... if they are grown in pig soiled ground..  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:

#14 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

There's one in wanneroo on prindiville drive

#15 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:24 AM

are they all the same as far as pricing goes and quality of produce ?

#16 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

I don't know, I've only ever been to the one in baldivis but I'd imagine so

#17 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

I've been to the one in Baldivis and Jandakot, and they are both the same to me. I always load up on Rockmelon and Pink Lady apples from the Jandakot store. Never been disapointed

#18 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

jandakot and wanneroo prob both about the same travel for me... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users