Photo

Confused Chosing Between Eheim 2213, Fluval 106 And Fluval 206

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 superoscar

superoscar
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

I have a half bowl Jebo R790 (Product Code: R790, Size: 905(L)x450(W)x655(H)MM, Capacity: 169L (37.1gal.)). For now I have some guppies, plants, small L numbers and cherry shrimps. Later on I may add in couple of discus.
I am after a quiet and easy to maintain filter. After some research I narrowed down my options between Eheim and Fluval external canister filters.
There is no cabinate. The tank and the filter will be placed on same benchtop, i.e. same level. However the water level in the tank will be higher than the height of the filter i assume?
The Fluval seems to offer more benefit when setting up because of its specially designed priming mechanism wherease in my case it will be harder to start with an Eheim. Am I right on this?

Where I am also confused is which model I should be getting. If I choose Ehiem obviously the 2213 is the model as the spec says it is for tanks up to 250 L.
If I choose Fluval, the 106 model spec says that it is for tanks up to 100 L, but the flow rate is 550 L/H (145 US GPH), which is much more than 440 lph from the Ehiem 2213.
The Fluval 206 by the spec is for tank up to 200 L, but it is most expensive one amount these 3.

Could anyone share some experience or advise which one is the best option for me?

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice.

#2 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

Mate, when going eheim (which I have) I'd go a rating above what you have.

Get the 2215 - it's only a couple bucks more. You can then limit the flow as you wish using the ball valves.

I bought a 2215 for my 330L tank and then went and bought a second 2215 because I didn't feel it was adequate.

I am by no means know what I am doing exactly, so I'd like someone to confirm before you take what I say smile.gif

#3 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

ehiem have always have had a funny way at guesstimating there filters ability.... id definantly go the 2215, its still a very small filter and will only turn your tank over 5 times an hour, but it still has ok media capacity

#4 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

the flow rate of a canister is lower cause its not a mechanical filter its a biological filter, i have used a 2215 on a 4x2x2 . The rating is pritty spot on for a medium stocked tank you need to look past the flow rate cause of the type of filter it is, it doesnt require heaps of flow through it.

For the Op's tank i would be using the 2213, my girlfriend has one on a 2 foot cube coupled with a otto 400. The canister only gets looked at every 6 months and its still reasonably clean.

#5 superoscar

superoscar
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

hi guys

thanks for your valuable replies. I will consider the 2215 maybe.
However, has anyone had experience with the Fluval filters?

#6 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

The only experience I've had with Fluval is the FX5 I got on my tank. Big filter with heaps of power, but the pipes supplied look like the stuff you have on washing machines. Go for the eheim

#7 superoscar

superoscar
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Still having difficulties to choose, seems that Fluval 106 is out of my list. Now need to decide between Eheim 2213 and Fluval 206......
Has anyone had experience on both?

#8 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

Eheim all the way

#9 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

i would go with the eheim, my 2213 has been running about 6 years and never missed a beat. my fluval i bought around the same time still works, but i have had to basically replace every replaceable part on it once. it leaked on my floor once too, when the main o ring broke. make sure you buy an eheim filter with media and the double taps though, this is essential. there will be stickers on the box saying this. as long as you get the taps and media the eheims are the best you can buy imo. if you got the taps, its actually easier to prime the eheim than the fluval... the fluval priming thing is rubber and starts to go hard and become less effective with time. eheim just uses gravity...

#10 superoscar

superoscar
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

hi tranced, thanks very much for your advise
Considering my tank and the filter will be placed on the same bench top, will the gravity be a problem?

#11 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

priming will be hard but once that is done it will be fine.

#12 superoscar

superoscar
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

i already can imagine prime the filter by sucking a mouth full of the tank water... errrrr

#13 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

If you could, you could have the filter on a chair or something while priming it, (yes suck on the return hose but you shouldnt get a mouth full of water) Once its primed turn it on and move it while its on to besides the tank.

#14 superoscar

superoscar
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

It seems that the 2213 is now called classic 250, is there any actual difference or improvements in the 250?
Anyone know where to get the best deal please advise?

#15 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Not really its the same filter

#16 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (superoscar @ Mar 22 2012, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i already can imagine prime the filter by sucking a mouth full of the tank water... errrrr

unless you use some sort of black magic that primes the filter instantly you cant get a mouthfull of water priming it.... errrrr smile.gif

#17 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

Bro, get yourself a PCS membership and then you get 10% off. Then buy it at practically any sponsor. All well priced (in my opinion).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users