Silly Search Feature

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

The new forum's search feature has definitely taken a step backward compared to the previous.

Something simple like "cut glass" gets rejected because the word "cut" is less than four characters. How frustrating! angry.gif dry.gif laugh.gif

Results in the error -
The error returned was:
One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

Also the old forums has a toggle between "search for all words" and "search for any word" which was great. In the new forum if u use a phrase such a "cutting glass" you get all posts containing "cutting" and all posts containing "glass". This example ends up with 4 pages of results. If you put + symbols in front e.g. "+cutting +glass" then u'll only get posts (less than 1 page) that contain both words which is much more useful.

Easy for me to remember but the majority of users wouldn't know this or be used to it compared to search engines such as Google.

My cry for today biggrin.gif

Dazza

#2 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

Just found a way to get around this silly minimum character business.

type this into Google -

site:www.perthcichlid.com.au cut glass

Now that's what I call a clever search engine!

Dazza

#3 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

google has a server farm in the US which consists of over 20,000 servers all linked... with over 300 programmers ACTIVELY finetuning their search engine...
PCS is sponsored with a bit of web space and a decent "standard" search engine..

a bit too much difference to compare... lol! tongue.gif

#4 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

The previous search engine in the old style forums was great tongue.gif It's like we've taken a step back in time. Reminds me of Yahoo 10+ years ago when u had to use '&' symbols etc between words LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users