Photo

incorrect labelling and homemade plant fertiliser

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Barca888

Barca888
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2003 - 09:50 AM

I purchased my green terror under the name blue acara. I told the people of this shop and recieved a mumble of some sort. As in my case i believe i got a pretty aggressive/territorial fish instead of one of the most peaceful cichlids. Even to this day after the shop has been taken over they still label them as blue acaras. I agree with alex on the issue of correct labelling. (even if it doesnt matter)

This is addressed to vincent, since my email was not answered hopefully it can be answered here. I picked up some yates chelated iron. Is this the product you are using? Anyone else using this as part of their poor wo/mans fertilizer?

!

Thanks Peter if someone answers me fertilizer question...

Edited by: mtchye at: 6/29/04 5:59 pm

#2 Brett4Perth

Brett4Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2003 - 04:02 PM

I use the Manutec chelated iron, this uses EDTA as the chelating agent and is 13% iron. Certainly works.

Brett

#3 saudukar

saudukar
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2003 - 04:35 PM

Green Terrors are very commonly shipped as Blue Acaras. It depends on the person/store recieving them to know the difference. Many times while working with quarantine, overseas distributors often sell green terrors as blue acaras mainly because blue acaras sell a hell of alot quicker and are usually less in stock. I would say about 50% of the time you order Blue Acaras from overseas they ship Green Terrors.

Now if the person working the quarantine/retail or storage facility doesnt know a white cloud minnow from a corydoras (cause from my experience most quarntine officers dont, and they wont inform them of it) its fairly easy to offload these as blue acaras. Some may claim ignorance at knowing the difference if it came down to it.

Realistically the end buyer has to do the research because if the store ordered the stock as Blue Acaras they are well within thier rights to sell them as Blue Acaras even if they are clearly different. There are no rules and regulations governing a species or trade name designation to fish.

Have you ever been to a regular run of the mill pet shop? They would be lucky to tell the difference between a goldfish and a discus.
When I used to pack bags for them they would specifically ask to label the bags with the trade name AND separate species in different bags even though this doubled the delivery weight. And god forbid a fish ever DOESNT actually have a trade name.

#4 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 14 November 2003 - 04:58 PM

Hi Peter,

I thought I did return your email RE the fertilisers... Hmmm.. anyway yes I do use Yates chelated iron, and it has worked fine for me... Oh just checked my outbox and your email did not ask much about the yates iron. I am reproducing your question here and what I replied.

Quote:
Hi Peter,

That is the formula given to me as a rough guide by a very experienced american planted tank guy. Two tablespoons is how much you use to make up the mix, but how much you dose into the tanks will depend on your particular tank's needs.

If you are having problems with solubility - perhaps try warmer water. I did not have these problems with only two tablespoons of mix though..

HTH
Vincent

At 01:31 PM 28/10/2003 +0000, you wrote:
Hello vincent.

I have gotten the ingrediants for my aquarium fertilizer (manutec trace
elements, yates chelated iron and yates sulphate of potash). Im gonna test for
the amount of nitrate and may get some if it is low. However my question lies
with making the trace elements solution.

"2 tablespoons Manutec trace element mix, and one teaspoon chelated iron into
500 ml of water"

Is it certainly 2 tablespoons?

Thanks peter

RE: Mislabelling, you must be under the impression that I support a store's right to mislabel. I am only saying that I support a store's right to make a mistake. No one person out of all of us can correctly identify every species that one store may sell - especially with changing nomenclature and names being mixed up by wholesalers/importers. Thus like Saudukar has mentioned the onus is on the buyer to work out what they want to buy.

I am sure most stores try to be as accurate as possible. It just isn't possible to be 100% accurate...

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Society Forums

Edited by: mtchye at: 11/14/03 9:01 am

#5 saudukar

saudukar
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2003 - 06:27 PM

Im not saying that I endorse it either but mislabeling has so many factors in it that you just cant say the shop is being 'misleading'.
If they are obviously aware of the misconception then by all means slag them out for it. But realistically both Blue Acaras and Green Terrors are fairly common and most small and large aquaruim stores stock them and they arent expensive. Small stores dont and probably wont care highly about species determination and especially in the case in cheap fodder sales. I am of the opinion that if you buy your fish from non-specialized people in this field you dig your own grave.

#6 Barca888

Barca888
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 November 2003 - 11:55 PM

I madw some trace mix in a 250 ml container with two teaspoons of the traces and half a teaspoon of the chelated iron. The chelated iron doesnt seem to wanna dissolve very well when it says on the package that it is highly soluble. I heated the bottle up in the oven to see if it would improve but no it didnt. Is there too much traces in the bottle not allowing the chelated iron to dissolve?

Thanks peter

Edited by: Barca888 at: 11/15/03 3:56 pm

#7 Brett4Perth

Brett4Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:39 AM

My PMDD doesn't totally dissolve either, there is a brownish residual that sits on the bottom of the jar. I just give the bottle a swirl before measuring out the dose and assume it will dissolve in the tank or is insoluble and becomes part of the substate. Either way it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Cheers
Brett

#8 Barca888

Barca888
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 November 2003 - 08:41 AM

Thanks brett i too have a blanket of the brown chelated iron on the bottom. I melted my bottle in the oven for nothing :\

Thanks peter

#9 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 November 2003 - 05:07 PM

been waiting for someone to pick up Barca's mislabelling of mtchye with the orginial subject post
incorrect labelling and mtyche

:lol :lol :lol :lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users