Poor Plant Health - With Pictures.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Substratum

Substratum
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

Hi All.

I'm finding that some of  my crypts and lotus's are not in 100% health at the moment. I've continuously battled this type of "melt" (which it might just be) and was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to beat it?

As you can see there are holes and yellowing in the crypts and lotus leaves.

I'm running C02 set to PH = 7 which is correct for my 5PPM hardness (or whatever it is).

I dose 2 x per week with Flourish , 2 x week with Envy and 1 x per week with Flourish Iron

I'm dosing slightly under recommended amount for a 200L tank (mine is 200L without junk in it).

I've shown what the tank looks like overall and then some closeups of the most affected plants.

Also if anyone can shed light on what the really fine "java moss" looking thing is at the back on the actual java moss and how to get rid of it it would be great.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files

#2 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:27 PM

Are you sure about how much CO2 is getting into your tank?

How old are your lights?

You could also look at adding a couple of root tabs to the lotus.

#3 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:17 PM

Are you dosing any potassium at all? I find I get holes in lower leaves if this isn't kept up. Got any tank chemistry readings? I'd increase the co2 possibly but agree with above that root tabs or extra ferts. Looked up envy product as well. Honestly I'd shift to dry ferts and make your own solution or dry dose. Much cheaper. Craig

Edited by Delapool, 02 April 2016 - 11:22 PM.

#4 Substratum

Substratum
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:22 PM

Hey all.

Thanks for the repplies. Co2 must be ok as it is keeping 7.4ph water at 7 so it is definately dosing.

Envy is not cheap you are right but i am a tad lazy. If i was going to dry ferts what would you recommend?

I'm not dosing with potassium. I would have thought my generic fertilizer would have it. I will check tonight when home.

The lights are new. 2xled lights which aquotix recommended.

I got a pm saying that the moss stuff could be from over fertilizing. Argh.

Not sure what to do...

#5 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:41 PM

I'm a plant brown thumb so can only post what I have seen.

The link below is useful for showing what dosing level you are at and how it relates to ferts dosing systems like Estimative Index.

http://yanc.rotalabutterfly.com

Craig

#6 Substratum

Substratum
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:38 PM

Craig.

That link tells me to put in 31mL of Flourish 2-4 times a week to maintain 0.5ppm of Fe.

I use just under 5ml 2 times a week as that is what is says on the container...

Not sure if that index is right or not.

When utilising the index for Flourish Fe it tells me to use 10mL whereas the container says 5mL

seems excessive again!

Nic.

#7 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:06 PM

I use Flourish Fe and only ever added a small quantity as per container. Having said that, I did tend to increase the dose until the colour improved in my plants!

#8 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

Craig.

That link tells me to put in 31mL of Flourish 2-4 times a week to maintain 0.5ppm of Fe.

I use just under 5ml 2 times a week as that is what is says on the container...

Not sure if that index is right or not.

When utilising the index for Flourish Fe it tells me to use 10mL whereas the container says 5mL

seems excessive again!

Nic.

Oops, sorry I didn't think on the iron as used to keeping macros and micro ferts separate. Potassium is the one I would check.

I generally aim to have tank readings at around 20 to 40ppm nitrates and potassium, 2ppm phosphate and 0.1 Fe. Which is roughly a factor of 10 from iron to phosphates to nitrates / potassium.

Looking at my spreadsheet I dose weekly 45ppm potassium, 3ppm phosphates and 0.25ppm iron and a bit of nitrates and micros. This is for CO2 injection (ph set at ~6.7) with medium lighting on a deep tank (quad t5ho). This is what works for my tank. I also use substrate ferts which do seem to help.

In reality my dosing varies depending on test results. Iron and copper never show up as much in test kits but I see browning in needle-like plants (foxtail, ambulia) if I "over-dose". Potassium on the test kit reads as 80 to 100ppm but if I lower this the hygro gets holes in lower leaves so stuck apparently over-dosing (or the test kit is just wrong).

As nitrates and phosphates are coming from fish waste and food, I find potassium will be the first to show as a deficiency with holes within lower leaves. Very rarely will I get such good plant growth that nitrates and phosphates come down close to 0 (usually after major filter cleans).

So to increase plant growth I have found increasing light intensity or period and CO2 helpful.

To deal with plant deficiency I have found increasing potassium to be the most helpful (plus substrate fert tabs for plants that are not good water column feeders). Increasing other ferts hasn't helped as much. But I'd check nitrates and phosphates as well.

I find shifting to dry ferts much, much cheaper and you can buy separately to control dosing. I used to dose the leaf zone and imo that is fine for low light tanks. For CO2 injection, I have found additional ferts dosing to be helpful. I have dosed higher in Fe (with other micros) up to 0.5% but found not much benefit. It may have actually been taking the copper a bit too high. 

http://www.barrrepor...7-iron-toxicity

#9 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:02 PM

I've only read your first post but by those pics and your description your not feeding your plants correctly.
The lotus and crypts need root tablets.
Use flourish tabs.
I had a ten foot tank full of these plants and never had this issue with tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users