Photo

Arros & Garfish

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

i know they are noxious, but im sure people have them, and i understand if people dont want to speak about it but really, is there any of things kinda fish going around anymore?
i would honestly love to get hold of one of the two.

#2 Scales

Scales
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

There are but they are few and far between and if you do find out who has em won't part with them or are after rediculous money. I got offered a silver aro for $1500, nice fish, def not worth that much though

#3 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

I don't think either are noxious, just not an allowable import.

A fish is worth what someone is willing to pay.

#4 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

interesting, i thought they were noxious? suprises me cause any intersting exotic and unusual fish cant be kept here in Aus.
i would spend a bit of $$$ for a small silver arro i think and easily for a gar - i remember when silvers were a few hundred bucks, and when Pisces offered me there gar for $400, and they had a tiny RTC for $200......!! oh how fish keeping has changed for Tankbuster guys.

Edited by Jules, 30 August 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#5 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

one good thing is a lot these tankbusters are well and truly mature and maybe somewhere someone is having a go at breeding them.... it would be like hitting a jackpot as a lot of these fish arent coming in anymore and the only way we can still enjoy them is if someone breeds them....

#6 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

The trouble is most people only have a solitary fish, they may know of another one but are unwilling to part with their fish in order to put it in a situation where it has a chance to breed. I wish more people would try to breed tankbusters sad.gif

#7 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

but with big fish is goning to be big responsibility.
to breed tank busters, the size aquariums / ponds needed wouldnt be practical to most aquarist though. i always google articles about breeding TBs and it sounds like a real tricky thing, but would be ever so rewarding........ especially here in Aus. since the TB scene gets narrower and narrower.
why cant you just be permitted to keep exotic fish species, very much how the reptile scene is - even though they are native fauna.

#8 Scales

Scales
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

Another problem, arros only breed at certain latitudes, we are too low down to achieve this so Unfortunatly the only way we will ever get new stock in is if the import laws are lifted on them or smuggle them in 😔

#9 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Dunno about that mate, I think with the correct temperatures, water quality, condition and with the help of some sex hormones they could be coaxed into spawning if someone had the stock and the time to devote to it.

I bloody wish they would!

#10 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (monstr red devil keepr @ Aug 31 2012, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another problem, arros only breed at certain latitudes, we are too low down to achieve this so Unfortunatly the only way we will ever get new stock in is if the import laws are lifted on them or smuggle them in 😔

First I have ever heard this and is also completely untrue IMO.

Do you have anything to back this up?

#11 Scales

Scales
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

I got told this by tony, IMO one of the most knowledgable people who graced this forum. I trust his word over your opinion Alex wink.gif

#12 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

Believe what you like, but it is very pig headed to believe one person over another just because you don't care for one (obviously myself). Not a good way to move forward and learn, great way to later on regurgitate untruths and misinformation.

No doubt Tony is a knowledgable hobbyist, but TB' are not his strong suit.

Like I said, the latitude thing is simply untrue, I'm not sure how you could justify that statement, no matter how hard you squint your eyes!

Cheers,

Alex

#13 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

I think you guys might need a few degrees latitude of seperation wink.gif

Interested to hear more on the subject. Are they referring to latitude based on the climate (temp, pressure etc) in those zones? Surely climate can be mimicked. What else could differ at different latitudes? Can polar bears only breed at the North Pole? lol

#14 kamalau

kamalau
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

A pair of silver aros spawned In Perth roughly a year ago
The owner didn't know how to take care of the babys and they all died
It's possible to breed them in Perth but vary hard to have a pair well settled enough to do so
Asian aros are even fussier and will usually only spawn if the have differant mates to choose from
So you need like a minimum of around 10 even then they are still usually hormone injected
Or so fish jesus tells me :s

#15 K.v

K.v
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Were could i find a gator Garr?

#16 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

Hard to come across in Perth. But definately not impossible. You would want a very large tank to keep one though...

#17 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

I haven't seen any true alligator gar in Perth for years.

Probably good thing, not many people around with tanks that can house a 6' fish.

#18 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

I was at a mate of mines new house a few months ago and met his new housemate, he had a tb tank with a small gator gar in there. He even said to me he uses this forum but said he doesnt use it much. If anyone is in doubt I can pm a photo of it from his Facebook

#19 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Please do.

#20 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

Would absolutely love to see it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users